Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Shut off power to AC when door is opened.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kapara Posted - 05/24/2019 : 4:24:23 PM
I have a wall unit that is plugged into an electrical outlet. I want to be able to shut the AC off if the door is opened and stays open for more than 30-60 seconds. When door is closed power will come back on. My AC unit auto recovers when power is turn back on and resumes its control based on current temp.

Too many times my kids leave my door open to my office and the AC just runs and runs.

So I assume I would need some kind of door sensor and a way to have it trigger the outlet to turn off.

I am on the fence on if I want this to be able to be managed locally or cloud. Being able to also be notified or record when door is opened would be great. Like using an alarm. I do have a security camera over the door (Hikvision) than can be be used to create a trigger but I dont know what could integrate with the hikvision system.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
oberkc Posted - 05/25/2019 : 5:57:13 PM
Certainly insteon with an ISY 994 controller could do this. The door sensor and smart outlet (or plug-in module) could provide the control, where the controller would provide the logic.

Apple homekit might have enough logic to do this, but I am less certain. Of course, you would need homekit-compatible devices, but I think the sensors and outlets are available.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page