Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Support Forums and Cameras

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
David Samuels Posted - 12/27/2019 : 10:27:28 AM
Help!
Have to say that I was initial elated that modules in my house work consistently, even in the far reaches of the house. I was sure that I'd selected the right system. Then the sunset setting in my scenes didn't work, and tech support kept me on the phone for an hour with no solution. Now I'm now spiraling downward into certainty I bought the wrong system. I cannot get to Insteon's forums. I have now got three or four different log-ins partially established, but even after "completing" the log in process, I cannot post on the forums on the Insteon site, and it keeps locking me out saying the password is wrong, even after I reset and wait, etc. Tech Support was unable to help me. Now I feel like I'm going to get tons of e-mails from all these user names etc. that I cannot access. Trying here now, on their suggestion.

My biggest disappointment is cameras. I bought into Insteon because everything indicated this was the solution to cameras, from the company, that are fully integrated into their software--no third party issues. In the last two weeks I have ordered Insteon cameras from three places, only to have the orders cancelled as on back order, or refunded as no longer available. This morning tech support advised me Insteon no longer offers cameras, and cannot give me any recommendations about integrating third party cameras or software with their software. So disappointed. What is the solution? Do none of the cameras out there integrate with Insteon Hub etc? Am I now stuck having to run another app on the phone and PC for surveillance? Please, tell me it aint so!

Thanks, with high hopes still, Dave
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
David Samuels Posted - 12/28/2019 : 09:35:58 AM
I found some 5mp units on Amazon yesterday that have great reviews, and seems like pretty good support, too. I'm amazed by how many cameras there are under fifty bucks...even under forty...with reviews that are not altogether complimentary. I guess something inexpensive for your front porch, where things are close, might work. Anything else, if you really want to be able to capture something useful, seems like you have to spend considerably more. There is a lot to learn, as far as features, connectivity, etc. Just have to dive in. For me, capture onto a hard drive is not a must, but seems more convenient than the cloud. Not completely decided on that yet. In reviewing the neighbor's footage of our little accident on her phone, I was disappointed at how glitchy it was. Hers is cloud based. She was a little embarrassed that she could not get it to work consistently. She said it is easier to use on her computer. I asked if she is saving footage on the computer and she said no, it takes her to a website, but the site is not always available! For me, aside from the importance of home security, this entire process is the "beta". I want to get something set up here at home, verify it works seamlessly, then duplicate it at my shop. I've had it with DVRs.
oberkc Posted - 12/28/2019 : 08:55:06 AM
For me, the big decision is whether you are willing to rely on cloud services for these, or is it important to you to have independence from this. It seems to me that much of the market is moving towards cloud based cameras and it is getting harder to find cameras that have a direct streaming address and capability. I started with dlink cameras but these are no longer produced in the versions that I want. My most recent are foscam and reolink. So far, so good with these.
David Samuels Posted - 12/28/2019 : 07:55:49 AM
Thanks. I've been browsing around a bit since yesterday and have found a few posts about the lack of compatibility. Interestingly, there are also posts about "not sweating it", as the cameras (including Foscam, which apparently is--or was--"our" camera) have all moved on at a much faster pace than Insteon's did. I'm reconciled to purchasing another brand, at this point. I do appreciate the input. Biggest disappointment is the delay. In the time it took for three different orders for cameras NOT to arrive, someone sideswiped one of our cars in front of the house. We are fairly certain it was the trash truck, but the neighbor's video is less than conclusive. Really want to get surveillance installed asap at this point.
oberkc Posted - 12/28/2019 : 04:35:09 AM
I see little "integration" of security cameras with Insteon. Yes, one may use the same phone app to view cameras as one uses to control home automation, but that (in my mind) is not integration. I understand that one must have a hub for the insteon app to work, I am still doubtful that there is any interaction between the insteon camera and hub. I understand, for example, that one can view an insteon camera with other apps, not having an insteon hub.

For what it is worth, Mobilinc is a phone app that can control insteon home automation devices and view video cameras. I am sure that there are others. Unfortunately for you, mobilinc is used with the ISY-994 controller rather than the insteon hub.

I have read that the insteon camera is little more than a re-branded Foscam camera. Perhaps you would care to follow that possible trail to see if you could confirm. If so, perhaps a Foscam camera could be viewed in the insteon app. What is unclear to me is, given the discontinuation of the insteon camera, whether the insteon app would still have the camera viewing ability.

Having said these things, I suspect that (short of changing controllers from the hub to something else) you will need a separate app for camera viewing and control of your insteon devices. I see that smart home seems to be recommending "OWLR". This may be good. I use IPCamviewer Pro and am pretty happy with this.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page