Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Installing two (Eve) switches in the same wall box

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
resortcasual Posted - 06/29/2020 : 07:46:38 AM
I have successfully installed several single Eve Light switches around my house but I cannot seem to install two switches (not a 3 way - just two switches that control two different lights) in the same box.

I can always get one to work, but the second one never works.

I was thinking part of the problem might be the screwed up wiring in my house. In this particular box, I have four bundled neutral wires. I cannot recall what I did in the past to get this to work but I think it was taking two random neutral wires and connecting to one switch and the other random two wires to the other switch. Should that work or do I need to be more particular about what neutral wires I use for each switch? Or can I bundle the two neutral wires from the two switches into the already bundled four neutral wires from the box?

Or is there something else I am doing wrong when it comes to two switches in the same box?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dave w Posted - 08/27/2020 : 3:10:14 PM
If the four neutrals were all nutted together originally, I would keep them that way. Especially if two different breakers are involved. Wire nut in a fifth neutral to run to both switches.
oberkc Posted - 06/29/2020 : 6:40:26 PM
If you are able to accurately identify neutral conductors (color is not necessarily sufficient), and if you are able to confirm that these neutrals are part of the same circuit as the hot conductors for the two switches, then you could connect the neutrals from each eve light switch to the bundle.

Having said this, I get nervous when I hear someone talking about "random" neutral wires. I don't find neutral wires to be random. Instead, neutrals are associated to hot wires and that association must be maintained. Yes, you need to be particular about neutral wires.

If you care to create a diagram of ALL the wires in your switch box, as they were connected to the original switches, sharing it here, I would imagine we might be able to offer better suggestions.
BLH Posted - 06/29/2020 : 08:22:23 AM
If you have a bundle of Neutral Power connections all connected together.
They all must stay connected. Add the switches Neutral connections to the already bundled Neutrals.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page