Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 Smart way to control hot water recirculation pump

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ILC Posted - 06/13/2021 : 07:49:33 AM
Hi,

I just bought a new house which is rather large (4k sqft). My first gas bill was 180 bucks over the last month at a time when we never turned on the heater. We didnt cook much either so its coming from the boiler.

The way the system is set up is that there is a recirculating pump which runs 24 hrs a day.

This has several drawbacks:
1) running 24 hours a day and consumes 60 watts to run, so wasting energy when we are sleeping or are not home.
2) the house has a ton of hot water lines (each room has a dedicated line or more than one line in some cases). The pex pipes are not insulated so what it does is warms up the floors to 95 degrees where pipes are below it. I then have to fight this by turning on the AC when it is 60 degrees out. Big energy waste in the summer.
3) the boiler is running quite a bit to keep all that water warm so consuming a ton of gas

I tried unplugging the pump and it did cool down the floors, but the drawback is it takes over 10 minutes to get hot water in the master bathroom.

If I run the pump for 15 minutes, all the taps get hot water instantly, but unplugging the pump means the water is cold again within an hour or so.

I am seeing advice on whether there is something that can allow me to do this:
1) turn the pump off at night while we are asleep.
2) turn the pump off when my wife and I are not home (so need some geofencing).
3) possibly link to my ring alarm system or motion sensors to know when we are home to turn the pump on. I also have three eco bees in the house with one sensor for each (not sure if these can be linked).

Each time the pump turns on it should run for 15 minutes. If multiple rules are triggered then it would run for 15 minutes max for any time period.

Am I getting a little too demanding here or is there something out there that exists which can allow me to do this?

IFTTT technology is interesting but limited in that i would not be able to accomplish the above.

Perhaps someone has other ideas which can make my recirculation more efficient.

Thanks a lot!

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page