Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Fanlinc with Casablanca Inteli-Touch Fan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2013 :  6:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A scene can have many controllers. A single device or button can control only one scene.

Edit: A few devices can respond differently to On or Off from the same controller.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.

Edited by - stusviews on 07/26/2013 6:56:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Autonow
Average Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  06:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't quite get that! When I tried to add second controller to a scene it said there was already one and do I want to make it a responder! it would not allow the addition
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  09:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A given device/node can be a Controller of only one Scene. The paddle/button has a single identifier (Group number) which makes it impossible for a given button/paddle to Control different Scenes. An ISY Scene can have multiple Controllers. The message is indicating the node was already a Controller of another Scene, not that the Scene cannot have multiple Controllers..

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

cbdl97
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  07:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I own a Casablanca dealer/repair center so I may be able to answer some of your Inteli-touch questions as well ask some questions of my own about the Fanlinc.

There are two main generations of the inteli-touch system. The original system was included in fans produced between 1983 and 2011. From 1983 to 1993 they used the W-11 and W-12 wall controllers which had Light, Fan, Power toggle switches. In 1994 they introduced the W-32 controller and added a reverse button (before you had to hit light and fan at the same time) and updated the look of the controller a bit, but it worked the same way as the previous one. Both of these systems used pulses over the power line between the switch and the fan. Fan model numbers ended in "T".

In 2011 I believe, they introduced the new system, Intellitouch3 (yes there was Intellitouch2 a few years ago but that was short lived). This system uses a wall controller (W-84 or W-85) that looks identical to the older W-32 pulse controller but sends RF signals to the fan. This system also is compatible with an accessory handheld remote (W-64 or W-65) that can be used in conjunction with the wall controller. Fan model numbers end in "Z" but there are a lot less of these out there than the original system, so odds are you have the original system.

Both wall controls have "Power" buttons that switch the power on and off to the fan.

Unfortunately Casablanca did not really take home automation into consideration when designing either system, which is a shame because it is more likely to be found in the higher-end homes these fans are usually installed in. If you are in the market for a new Casablanca fan and would like to use home automation with it, look for models ending in "D" "G" "F" or "K". These fans are not electronically controlled and will work great with the FanLinc. AVOID fans ending in "T" "Z" "B" "A" "M" "H" or "L". These are electronic fans and will require a lobotomy to work well with home automation. Some fan designs come in both electronic and non-electronic versions, but others only come in one or the other. So pay close attention to what you are buying.

I have never seen a FanLinc before, but I take it this is a system that uses a receiver designed to mount in the canopy of the fan. For those who successfully converted their Intellitouch fans, I am curious as to where you put the receiver. Did you put it in the fan body where the Intellitouch board used to be, or did you put it in the fan canopy? Also, Autonow, I am curious to the procedure (and the capacitor(s)) you used to successfully convert your fan. Removing the Intellitouch board for another system is not condoned by Casablanca (BTW it will void your lifetime warranty) so there are no official instructions from them on doing it, and I doubt their support would be willing to help out. Yet I have had customers interested in doing this and I understand their motivation. I have an idea as to how to do it, but I have not yet tried it and would be interested to hear from someone who has.

Finally, all parts for the old Intellitouch system have been discontinued. If your board or switch goes, you have to convert to the new RF Intellitouch3 system. This can be expensive. So, you can imagine that older Intellitouch parts (wall switches, and especially boards) are becoming like gold. If you convert your fan and no longer have any need for your old Intellitouch parts, you could make some money. I'm sure you could sell them to a Casablanca dealer/repair center, or you could definitely try eBay.

Edited by - cbdl97 on 12/30/2013 12:44:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

JRomstadt
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  04:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see on the form that one of you have managed to get a Casablanca Fan to work with a FanLink Controller, can you share how you wired that up? Because I have been trying to do the same thing but using FlipSwitch of the Casablanca Fans. Using 2487S to set different speeds works great some time. But if network traffic on the Insteon network slows down then the fan misses the toggle back on at the correct spot and now one has a tornado in the kitchen blowing things all around…

Go to Top of Page

yvranx42
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  07:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cbdl97

Hi, I own a Casablanca dealer/repair center so I may be able to answer some of your Inteli-touch questions as well ask some questions of my own about the Fanlinc.

This system uses a wall controller (W-84 or W-85) that looks identical to the older W-32 pulse controller but sends RF signals to the fan. This system also is compatible with an accessory handheld remote (W-64 or W-65) that can be used in conjunction with the wall controller.

Quick question that is not Insteon related - do you know if you can use a W-64 remote on the same fan where you have a W-84 installed, as a secondary controller? Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Autonow
Average Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JRomstadt

I see on the form that one of you have managed to get a Casablanca Fan to work with a FanLink Controller, can you share how you wired that up? Because I have been trying to do the same thing but using FlipSwitch of the Casablanca Fans. Using 2487S to set different speeds works great some time. But if network traffic on the Insteon network slows down then the fan misses the toggle back on at the correct spot and now one has a tornado in the kitchen blowing things all around…

That would be me... It is a gut job but actually simple. Everything casablanca goes except the motor. I will be brief and assume you have some electrical knowledge and can go do the light on your own. For the motor disconnect the controller and the resister, just tape the resister (looks like a ribbon) to the side of the motor. cut the plug off the end All the white wires go to neutral. There are 3 motor wires red white and brown. (if you want reverse your will need a spdt relay and a microlinc) With out reverse function connect the neutral to the white, connect the motor lead from the fan linc to (red or brown) the motor. Sets direction of the motor. Now look on the controller get the capacitance off the big capacitor. about 8 to 10uf. Install a new capacitor between the red and brown wire. Your done. Program a key pad to operate the fanlinc.

Go to Top of Page

cbdl97
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  12:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yvranx42

quote:
Originally posted by cbdl97

This system uses a wall controller (W-84 or W-85) that looks identical to the older W-32 pulse controller but sends RF signals to the fan. This system also is compatible with an accessory handheld remote (W-64 or W-65) that can be used in conjunction with the wall controller.

Quick question that is not Insteon related - do you know if you can use a W-64 remote on the same fan where you have a W-84 installed, as a secondary controller? Thanks for your help.

Yes you can, you just need to set the dip switches in the W-64 to the same as the W-84. Then the fan will respond to whichever is pressed most recently. The other thing to be aware of is that whenever you press a button on the W-64 it transmits ALL the settings shown on the LCD screen, not just the button you pressed. This is to make sure it doesn't get out of sync. For example, in a bedroom, say you turn on the light and fan from the remote, then turn the fan off from the wall control. If you go back later and turn the light off with the remote, the fan would go back on since the remote thinks that's still the state of the fan. So then you'd need to hit the fan button to turn it off too. Hope this helped!
Go to Top of Page

aaantony
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  10:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autonow

Well I have Successfully Made the insteon Fanlinc work with a casablanca fan!!!!

Did you have to put a capacitor between the red and brown wires to make it work ?
Go to Top of Page

Biff
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I see on the form that one of you have managed to get a Casablanca Fan to work with a FanLink Controller, can you share how you wired that up? Because I have been trying to do the same thing but using FlipSwitch of the Casablanca Fans. Using 2487S to set different speeds works great some time. But if network traffic on the Insteon network slows down then the fan misses the toggle back on at the correct spot and now one has a tornado in the kitchen blowing things all around�

That would be me... It is a gut job but actually simple. Everything casablanca goes except the motor. I will be brief and assume you have some electrical knowledge and can go do the light on your own. For the motor disconnect the controller and the resister, just tape the resister (looks like a ribbon) to the side of the motor. cut the plug off the end All the white wires go to neutral. There are 3 motor wires red white and brown. (if you want reverse your will need a spdt relay and a microlinc) With out reverse function connect the neutral to the white, connect the motor lead from the fan linc to (red or brown) the motor. Sets direction of the motor. Now look on the controller get the capacitance off the big capacitor. about 8 to 10uf. Install a new capacitor between the red and brown wire. Your done. Program a key pad to operate the fanlinc.

Go to Top of Page

Biff
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  3:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Not an electrician here but I'm wondering when you say that you should connect a new capacitor between the brown and red wires why you can't just use the capacitor that came with the fan?

quote:

quote:

I see on the form that one of you have managed to get a Casablanca Fan to work with a FanLink Controller, can you share how you wired that up? Because I have been trying to do the same thing but using FlipSwitch of the Casablanca Fans. Using 2487S to set different speeds works great some time. But if network traffic on the Insteon network slows down then the fan misses the toggle back on at the correct spot and now one has a tornado in the kitchen blowing things all around�

Go to Top of Page

Autonow
Average Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could use the cap from the controller but you would have to un solder it from the PC Board. Then if you are using a relay and micro link to get the reverse function the leads will be too short. For about a $5 you can get a new cap with nice long leads.

If you use a new cap you can sell the controller there is a market for them, Or re-install it if you do not like the 3 speeds fanlinc gives

quote:
Originally posted by Biff

Not an electrician here but I'm wondering when you say that you should connect a new capacitor between the brown and red wires why you can't just use the capacitor that came with the fan?

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

chris_500276
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  1:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Autonow,

I noticed you are pretty active in discussions regarding ceiling fans and bypassing the remote/receiver. I recently purchased a Casablanca Stingray fan and would like to bypass/remove the receiver and control the fan/light via the wall switches. In reading some of your comments, it sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable in this regard and was hoping you could give me some pointers. It sounds like I would need a capacitor, so my question is does the 4.5uF capacitor mentioned apply to all fans or would I need a different one? Additionally, I see that one of the wire colors mentioned is pink...the one I have does not have any pink wires, but I do see a grey one. Would this be the replacement for the pink one maybe? Lastly, the fan is 6 speeds...does this matter at all for wiring purposes?

Hope you can help me with my dilemma.

Thanks,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

cbdl97
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  08:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris_500276

Hi Autonow,

I noticed you are pretty active in discussions regarding ceiling fans and bypassing the remote/receiver. I recently purchased a Casablanca Stingray fan and would like to bypass/remove the receiver and control the fan/light via the wall switches. In reading some of your comments, it sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable in this regard and was hoping you could give me some pointers. It sounds like I would need a capacitor, so my question is does the 4.5uF capacitor mentioned apply to all fans or would I need a different one? Additionally, I see that one of the wire colors mentioned is pink...the one I have does not have any pink wires, but I do see a grey one. Would this be the replacement for the pink one maybe? Lastly, the fan is 6 speeds...does this matter at all for wiring purposes?

Hope you can help me with my dilemma.

Thanks,

Chris

The Stingray uses a brushless DC motor that will not function without the factory receiver. If you want a wall control, you can buy the Fanimation TW30WH which will work with that receiver. If you want to control from your phone or Alexa you can use the Bond smart hub which will replicate the signals from the remote.

Edited by - cbdl97 on 10/11/2019 08:11:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page