Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 2477SA1 Failures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scravatt
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 houses with pools and I use an 2477SA1 to control the pool pump at each house. One worked flawlessly for over a year now. The other house 2477SA1 failed after 3 months (failed as in nothing worked: no lights, switch doesn’t work, doesn’t turn on/off). I got a replacement and it also failed after ~3months. What are the odds that both devices were bad? Anyone have this problem? Could it be something else…like power fluctuations causing the interface to burn out? I tried to call Smarthome, but am on hold for over 30min trying to get through..

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first instinct is to suspect load, but I assume your pool pump is less than 30 amps. Is it possible that your pump is somehow failing in such a way as to damage the switch? Have you seen any other signs to give you suspicions?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6071 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same symptoms, completely dead?

I would suspect the wiring. You may want to check it.

If the load was making a very large inductive spike when turning Off. It could be possible the spikes eventually caused a part to fail. Is the pump model the same in both houses?
Go to Top of Page

scravatt
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  11:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's brand new pool pump in the house that failed. It's less power than the previous one and definitely less than 30Amps. It failed whent the pool pump was not on (at night), so that leads me to believe is could be power spikes causing the issue, but nothing else has failed with all my other Insteon switches.

I did replace the 2477SA1 with a mechanical switch and that works fine for now, but like to figure out why these keep failing. The wiring from the circuit breaker is older, so wondering if there are issues with that. All other wiring is new.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10765 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  12:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, on the house that is having trouble, what was the relative timing of the first relay install, the second relay install, and the new pool pump install? Do you have a model number of the new pump?
Go to Top of Page

scravatt
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  12:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pool Pump was installed last year 11/17/11 with a intermatic pool timer. First 2477SA1 was installed 1/19/12 and failed 4/25/12. Second one was instaleld 5/10/12 and failed 8/8/12. pool pump: Pentair WhisperFlo Pool Pump 1hp, WFE-4. Voltage: 115/208-230V, Full Load Amps: 14.8/7.8/7.4. It's wired 220V.
Go to Top of Page

CBPetrovic
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  4:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recourse for failed 2477sa1?
The unit had been working well to control my water heater. Quit responding to commands, the manual button worked to turn the heater on/off.
Clearly it had failed to communicate, so I removed it from the circuit. Upon opening it, I was greeted to a pungent smell of burnt electrics.

I've got some pix of the carnage, and very happy that the failure didn't result in a fire. That being said, what recourse is there for remedy.
To whom should this failure be reported?

It's one thing to have the device stop working, that is, not turning whatever device is at the other end on or off, but this clearly could have been much worse. If someone can let me know how to add pictures to these topics, I'd be happy to post them.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6071 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  03:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If less than two years old. Call Smarthome Customer Service and ask what they can do.

Since both the 2477SA1 and 2477SA2 modules are now marked Product Unavailable on the sales site. You may have to find a different solution.

Like an Insteon On/Off switch or plug in module. Controlling an ELK heavy duty module. https://www.smarthome.com/elk-heavy-duty-relay-contactor-in-a-lockable-metal-structured-wiring-panel-enclosure.html

As for the burned parts. With an ETL certification it probably would not burst into flames. Just burn out. I have seen others reporting similar burned out internal parts.

Edited by - BLH on 09/13/2019 03:31:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

CBPetrovic
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. Turns out that the device is older than 2 years so customer service won't do anything.

As far a solutions, I've a plan to use a shelly 1 controller, capable of running on 220V and use a 2-pole contactor I just received today to build my own programmable switch. If this goes well (no reason it won't) then the Shelly1 will be replaced with an alternate (ShellyEM) which will also monitor the power consumption. What I will do with this additional data is up in the air. Just neat stuff, relatively inexpensive and well suited to a tinkerer.

I have also been fooling around with ITEAD.CC sonoff products, flashing the ESP controller with Tasmota firmware. one of these modules is controlling my attic vent fans.

The ELK solution won't do as there's limited space for the box.

Lots of alternatives to insteon, if you're willing to tinker and learn. Home Assistant is the basis of my automation and the insteon stuff is all being controlled by an ISY994i Pro controller with insteon PLM (serial input)
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6071 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  1:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you found a good solution.
Go to Top of Page

CBPetrovic
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  10:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think so.

Plan on reusing the original insteon box, more than enough room for the contactor, shelly1 controller with room to spare!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page