Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Cheaper way for motorization of blinds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tracknut
Average Member

94 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After chasing around the Hunter Douglas solution for motorized blinds and finding the cost around $1000/window for the low end, I'm looking for something affordable for my new house with ~25 windows. I mentioned the scenario (motorized 24V DC blinds, all home runs to a panel) to my electrician, and he's thinking that with some relays and switches he could put together a solution for far less than the HD products.

I'm not particularly good with electronics, but was wondering if anyone here has thoughts about a wall switch that might be able to send appropriate signals (up/down, maybe momentary so the blinds could be raised halfway) to such a bank of relays. And then extra credit if that switch could be controlled via Insteon/ISY.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Dave

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Motorized blinds are considerably more complex than shades due to movement in two planes (i.e., up/down or left/right and tilt). Which particular motors will you be using?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

tracknut
Average Member

94 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the specific motors, but my understanding is these will probably be 24V Somfy motors, which require 2 low voltage wires and simply switch power/ground via relay for up and down. These will be shades, I guess, per your definition, just with up/down control.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

tracknut
Average Member

94 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh by the way, the motors have a physical stop for up and down, so the electronics doesn't need to be hugely accurate in terms of stopping right at the top or bottom.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.smarthome.com/318276I/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-to-Somfy-RF-Drape-Control-Kit/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4982

Go to Top of Page

tracknut
Average Member

94 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but that solution is dependent on RF working, which isn't a direction I was hoping to go. I was hoping a solution could be put together that simply applied power to the shade motor when I pushed a switch on the wall.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2367 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tracknut

Thanks, but that solution is dependent on RF working, which isn't a direction I was hoping to go. I was hoping a solution could be put together that simply applied power to the shade motor when I pushed a switch on the wall.

Dave

I am subscribing as I am interested in what kind of solution you come up with. Would you be so kind and document your efforts and how it turns out in the future?

This assumes you find a good solution that meets your needs.

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  1:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somfy has wired, RF, and IR remotes available. The kit allow you to use Insteon signals to control a Somfy motor no matter which Somfy remote you select. You can keep or toss the original remote.

RTS dry-contact Interface

paceyben's solution is equally free of the original remote. AFAIK, it can control several motors.

Edit: the RF receiver is part of the Somfy motor assembly.
Edit: Somfy recently introduced a dry contact motor. (Thanks to my spouse for pointing that out.)

Edited by - stusviews on 03/09/2013 3:46:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

jackd
Average Member

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  4:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have many HD cellular shades in my home and thought that a motorized shade for the front bow window would work for us. The larger the shade the more easily the shade moves with a motor. I now have two large shades, one manual and one motorized. I purchased the manual one many years ago and it was replaced under warranty because the string wore on a pulley and eventually broke. When we bought the second one we decided to go with motorized because of the wear factor. I works flawlessly, so far. Seeing what mine looks like from an operational perspective I don't know how easy it would be to aftermarket a motor easily on any window shade. It would be interesting to see what you come up with.

In my research to find if HD worked with Inteon I wound up talking to the design engineer for the motorized shade at HD. All of the current ship motorized HD shades are both RF and infared based. He told me there was a handheld remote that was RF and infared and a 110v RF only module. My intent was to place the RF module into a Insteon outlet. The total cost was about $100 extra for the window mechanism (motorized) above the cost of the shade itself and about $50 for the RF only module. I don't remember how many windows the RF only module controls but my handheld remote will work 4 independent shades or at the same time.

I decided not to get the 110v only module because the handheld works just fine and I did not want to give up a button on my Keylinc panel at this time. I was able to contact the engineer directly once I initiated contact via their website email looking for motorized shade guidence.

Yes it was expensive but I negotiated a much lower price on the shade because I was doing multiple things from that vendor.. If you are doing more than one I would bet they would be willing to discount considerably.. HD is really quality..

Jack
Go to Top of Page

Meefirst234
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  03:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. Just bumping this thread as I want to get some motorized pleated blinds. I moved in a new house which has a conservatory and I need shades for my loft and ceiling windows. This description I found online talks about pleated blinds in a conservatory: The slim 20mm pleats make the blind neatly fit into any size window. The blinds are particularly suitable for conservatories, orangeries and sunrooms. There are two types of pleated blinds, freehanging for windows and conservatory walls, skylight blinds for square and rectangular glass and conservatory ceilings. Our pleated blinds manufactured with ASC fabrics with their solar reflective backing will keep your conservatory cool in summer and save money on heating costs in winter. Our translucent fabrics gently filter and soften the light whilst still giving your room privacy.
Do they make motorized pleated blinds as well? Any opinion would work! Thank you and have a nice day!

http://community.familyhandyman.com/tfh_forums/f/21/t/3633.aspx
Go to Top of Page

qwertyKEV
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  05:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ordered MOVE by Teptron. I will post some feedback once I recieve them.
Go to Top of Page

kovaschool
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know post is a bit late, but I went looking for the same thing you were and found this post - I was able to find a website that has custom blackout shades and their sizes start as small as 7" by 10" at https://www.shademonster.com. Just in case anyone finds this post through a Google search like I did. Motorization option was only $250 above whatever the material for the shades cost, but now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate it with our Alexa.
Go to Top of Page

whitecharger
Starting Member

Philippines
14 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  08:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could not access the website you shared. :(

whitecharger
Go to Top of Page

auger66

30 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  3:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take the period at the end off.

Their website doesn't have a lot of information, and no information on motorized integration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page