Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 BMW garage door opener
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

roadking2003

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  09:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if it's possible to program a BMW garage door opener button to send Insteon signals?

It works now for both garage doors and our gate remote.

svento
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  10:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know the age of your BMW, but I know mine (2002) has the system called the BMW Universal Transmitter, which is the HomeLink system... which is at minimum "compatible" with X10. I started researching this a bit in the past and I was never sure how to bridge between whatever wireless signal HomeLink sends to some X10 powerline signal (which I could then detect on some Insteon device). Not sure if any of that info helped you, but let us know your progress!
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  11:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was never sure how to bridge between whatever wireless signal HomeLink sends to some X10 powerline signal (which I could then detect on some Insteon device).

I, too, was looking at this homelink system a while back and understand, as you do, that this works with X-10.

I further understand that to make this work with X-10, you have to have an X-10 RF transmitter from which the homelink system can learn. Once learned the homelink system would transmit the same signal, including housecode and unit. One would need xn X-10 RF reciever to exploit the RF commands coming from the vehicle.

Detecting via insteon devices, it seems to me, would require either assigning an x-10 address to affected insteon devices (less desirable in my mind) to using a whole house controller (such as the ISY-994) to recieve the X-10 commands and respond accordingly.

Alternatively, the makers of homelinc (Johnson Controls?) made, at one point, a device call a "vehicle interface". I understaood this to be a combining of a garage door controller reciever and X-10 powerline transmitter. One would pair a homelink car button with the vehicle interface as one would pair a garage door opener (little purple learning button?). The interface would transmit an X-10 command to the powerlines upon receipt of the signal from the car. I recall it having, even, little dials for house code and unit.

This is all theoretical to me. I have never actually seen or used any of these devices (none of my cars have a homelink system built in.)
Go to Top of Page

roadking2003

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  11:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My BMW is a 2013 model. My Insteon system has a lot of dual band devices. I am trying to use a remotelinc 2 to teach the BMW the signal. I will charge the remotelinc 2 to see if that could be the problem.

I understand that the Insteon dual band RF Frequency is 902 to 924 MHz. Maybe the BMW cannot handle that frequency since garage door openers are in the 300 - 400 MHz range.

Edited by - roadking2003 on 03/19/2013 11:43:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10643 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  12:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadking2003

I understand that the Insteon dual band RF Frequency is 902 to 924 MHz. Maybe the BMW cannot handle that frequency since garage door openers are in the 300 - 400 MHz range.

Correct, the frequencies are different. That's why you need some kind of interface to translate a compatible rf signal into an x10 power line signal. That, or just leave the RemoteLinc 2 in the car instead.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am trying to use a remotelinc 2 to teach the BMW the signal.

I, too, don't believe the homelink systems (assuming that is what is in a BMW) can learn insteon (or, for that matter, Z-wave). I understood that they could only learn X-10, based on one of the X-10 remotes.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  12:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a gate and two garage doors. All are operated from our cars including being able to open the gate by blinking the high beam when driving in or by simply driving out

No Insteon devices are in the car, but Insteon devices respond and Insteon devices can and do control all three operators (the walk-in gate, too).

So, what do you want to accomplish?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

roadking2003

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

We have a gate and two garage doors. All are operated from our cars including being able to open the gate by blinking the high beam when driving in or by simply driving out

No Insteon devices are in the car, but Insteon devices respond and Insteon devices can and do control all three operators (the walk-in gate, too).

So, what do you want to accomplish?

I want to turn on some lights in the house. I can do it with the Remotelinc 2, but would prefer to use the BMW buttons.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  2:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When entering after dark, the driveway lights up when the driveway gate opens. So does the side entry and kitchen. After a delay, the exterior lights turn off.

The garage door and driveway gate operators are all controlled by I/O Linc relays.

The garage doors use a magnetic switch connected to the I/O Linc sensor. The driveway gate operator control board (GTO) has relay contacts connected to an I/O Linc sensor. Each respective sensor sends an Insteon signal based on the position of the door or gate no matter how they are controlled, Insteon or the native (or any other) controller.

A motion sensor is also involved when exiting. HouseLinc manages the events.

Go to Top of Page

carealtor
Average Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  4:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you need is a SimpleHomeNet EZX10RF. It will send Insteon commands when X-10 RF is received. So you use any X-10 transmitter, such as a X-10 key fob or X-10 wireless remote, to set up the EZX10RF to respond to the X-10 RF code of your choice. Then you simply teach your car the same X-10 RF code.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  4:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, HomeLink requires a HomeLink Lighting Kit or it's equivalent, a Black & Decker Freewire Messenger Hub.

I haven't tried HomeLink, but I have used the Messenger Hub. It is a wireless receiver for X10 signals, but only from the Black & Decker Freewire remote. It did not respond to an X10 remote. It could not be programmed using an X10 remote.

HomeLink is secure, X10 is not. Homelink does not transmit X10 house/unit codes. HomeLink (and B&D Firewire) has a propriety RF signal that is converted to X10 powerline signals by the Lighting Kit or Messenger Hub.

In particular, the particular wireless transmitter, vehicle or otherwise, must be linked to the Hub in order to send an X10 signal.

Go to Top of Page

carealtor
Average Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  10:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

HomeLink requires a HomeLink Lighting Kit or it's equivalent

No, this is not accurate. The HomeLink in your car is just a learning remote control for RF. You can teach it the RF from your garage door remote or you can teach it the RF from your X-10 remote. Neither scenario requires any other HomeLink specific components.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5836 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  11:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that HomeLink is part of Johnson Controls.
I have not seen any of the older kits they use to sell for X10 home controls.
I did see a short description in the X10 wiki on using Homelink and X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  11:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You can teach it the RF from your garage door remote or you can teach it the RF from your X-10 remote.

That is consistent with my understanding, as well.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  11:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carealtor

quote:

HomeLink requires a HomeLink Lighting Kit or it's equivalent

No, this is not accurate. The HomeLink in your car is just a learning remote control for RF. You can teach it the RF from your garage door remote or you can teach it the RF from your X-10 remote. Neither scenario requires any other HomeLink specific components.

Based on the discussion on the X10 forum, the people who actually tried it using an X10 RF remote were unsuccessful. It requires a compatible X10 transceiver.

If it can learn from any RF remote, then it should learn from an Insteon RF remote-not!

Go to Top of Page

carealtor
Average Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  12:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it can learn from any RF remote, then it should learn from an Insteon RF remote-not!

I did not say it could learn from any RF remote. I said it could learn from a garage door remote and an X-10 RF remote. I have experience with both these scenarios and they work. I would not make any claims about HomeLink's abilities that I don't have experience with. I have no idea why others have had problems, but I have done it, quite simply, with the above mentioned SimpleHomeNet receiver. I turn on my garage and exterior lights from the HomeLink button in my car. I have personal experience with this arrangement and I can tell you that it does work. Smarthome even has a write up on how to do this. http://www.smarthome.com/projects-8a.html

Edited by - carealtor on 03/20/2013 12:10:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  1:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to know. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  3:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I'm understanding this completely but if he adds an I/O garage door relay couldn't he link it to an insteon light switch to act as a responder when the garage door opens? Or maybe a KPL would be even better as he gets the internal notification and control of the doors condition along with all the other features of the KPL

Edited by - kilo32 on 03/20/2013 3:42:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  3:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If "it" is the I/O Linc, then yes. It "it" is the HomeLink transmitter, then no.

HomeLink is capable of sending an X10 signal, not Insteon. The EZX10RF can convert from X10 to Insteon.

Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If "it" is the I/O Linc, then yes. It "it" is the HomeLink transmitter, then no.

HomeLink is capable of sending an X10 signal, not Insteon. The EZX10RF can convert from X10 to Insteon.

What I meant was if he pushes the button on his car remote the door then opens. If he has an I/O link on the door that will notify (in my case) a KPL which gives me a red light showing the door open. Couldn't you then go further and link lights to turn on.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was my original suggestion
quote:

When entering after dark, the driveway lights up when the driveway gate opens. So does the side entry and kitchen. After a delay, the exterior lights turn off.

The garage door and driveway gate operators are all controlled by I/O Linc relays.

The garage doors use a magnetic switch connected to the I/O Linc sensor. The driveway gate operator control board (GTO) has relay contacts connected to an I/O Linc sensor. Each respective sensor sends an Insteon signal based on the position of the door or gate no matter how they are controlled, Insteon or the native (or any other) controller.

A motion sensor is also involved when exiting. HouseLinc manages the events.

Go to Top of Page

benjaminwilles
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  10:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a BMW(2003) and it has a system called the BMW Universal Transmitter, which is the HomeLink system and it is "compatible" with X10, sorry but i actually know this much only and i hope it might have helped you!!
http://www.gomerlin.com.au/products/gate-access-systems
Go to Top of Page

barrygordon

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  10:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Send barrygordon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Homelink uses exactly the same frequency as Lutron Radio RA. I bought a radio RA visor system with one receiver. This system will handle I believe 8 different signals. Each of my cars has three buttons on its mirror. The output of the Radio RA receiver is a contact closure and from that point you can do whatever. I pick up the signals in Homeseer using a digital IO to rs232 board but could have gone to X10 and with micro links gone to insteon. Just expensive, the IO Board being the cheapest solution.
Go to Top of Page

Armstrongsmith
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  09:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have 2 chamberlain liftmaster 1/2 http://findgaragedooropener.com hp garage door openers. One stopped working 2 years ago because the sensors are messed up, and now the 2nd one stopped working for the same reason. I tried lining them up next to each other so the beam of light would be totally aligned, but no cigar. I tried cutting the wires and completing the circuit, nothing. I thought I could just easily bypass the sensor by shorting it or whatnot. Not the case. Has anybody had trouble with these? Anybody know how to bypass the sensors so the door can go down again?

Edited by - Armstrongsmith on 03/17/2018 09:08:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

LockNMore
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  10:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit LockNMore's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, be sure you protect your electric garage door. I found out it is very easy for someone to get in. https://www.locknmore.com/garage-door-huge-security-risk/ It is just ridiculous that I never realized this. Hopefully, others on here are more on top of things!

Lock N More Locksmith
Go to Top of Page

realsquare
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  12:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I trained my 2013 BMW successfully to send signals to an x10 RF receiver. It required a few tries. Now I can Turn on two sets and turn off one set of x10 lights from the car.
Go to Top of Page

bagrubes
Average Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  05:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning everyone, I find this thread very interesting. I have a question, I have the 222 hud and I am using the insteon app only no ISY. I have one but never finished trying to set it up. I just got intimidated by it. I have a ford edge 2016 with the 3 buttons on the visor. Any suggestions on how I could achieve linking the buttons on the visor to my insteon?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  10:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use the hub, but I am not certain that it can understand x-10. If not, this would complicate things a bit.

Theoretically, I believe you would need an x-10 transceiver to receive the signal from the car, then retransmit the signal over the powerlines. Then you would need a way to convert that to insteon (if, in fact, the hub cannot understand x-10). Finally, I understand that you would need train your car, which would require a radio transmitter capable of broadcasting the x-10 command you want to use.

There could be another option involving something like the liftmaster "myQ" module and an insteon module able to sense voltage, but this would require a bit of wiring and is, arguably, inelegant.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5836 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  11:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There where two HUBs and an Apple Home Kit HUB.
Which one do you have 2242-222, 2245-222 or Apple Home Kit 2243-222?
Go to Top of Page

bagrubes
Average Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

There where two HUBs and an Apple Home Kit HUB.
Which one do you have 2242-222, 2245-222 or Apple Home Kit 2243-222?

Sorry 2245-222 just the insteon app not using home kit
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

244 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  2:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would need to use X10 to achieve what you are trying to do. I've attached a link that has directions for you. https://www.smarthome.com/sc-control-insteon-devices-with-homelink

Since you already have the ISY, I would figure out how to use it and that would allow you to accomplish much more when you garage door opens than what you can with triggering x10

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 03/17/2018 2:27:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page