Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Smartenit Sprinkler and Hub
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

clarkes71

30 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how to get each zone working (Smartenit INSTEON 8-Zone Sprinkler Controller) using the Insteon Hub?

You can send custom commands using the SmartLinc, but doesn't appear that you can do the same with the Hub?

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  10:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that, if one logs into the hub via a web browser, it looks a lot like a smartlinc. I wonder if this includes the ability to interface with your sprinkler controller.
Go to Top of Page

clarkes71

30 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oberkc:
If you log directly into hub, you get some basic info, such as firmware version; nothing more. If you login to the connect.insteon.com, all you get is device statuses and the ability to turn on/off devices.

When you add the hub to HouseLinc, it looks much like the SmartLinc did.

Using HouseLinc, only thing I could figure out on how to control specific zones on Smartenit device is using events (sending custom commands).

Tfitzpatri8:
Do you mean the buttons you get when you create a scene using the hub apps scenes? If so, it could work, but I can't figure out how to control Smartenit device using scenes?
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  10:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I�ve been waiting 3 years for SmartHome to add support for the Compacta/SimpleHomeNet/Smartenit exrain/ezflora sprinkler controller.
At least in houselinc and smartlinc there are workarounds.
Hub doesn�t seem to offer any obvious method of sending direct commands.

The ezflora commands are just standard length commands.
I�m thinking it might be possible to just modify the link database directly on the Hub, to get the proper commands in there.
Pretty sure one of the smartenit utilities was to read/write to the database on Insteon devices.

If I can get that to work, I�ll post instructions.

Edited by - jtempleton on 11/17/2013 09:54:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  10:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The simple answer for SmartHome is just to add custom commands to Hub.
Of course that doesn't address the larger issue, but at least allows for work arounds.
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  1:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to get a Hub scene to turn a valve on/off.
Still working out the kinks.

If you manually link something (I did a switchlinc) to the smartenit, and take a look at the link database on teh smartenit, you'll see what the links need to look like.

I've avoided using the smartenit utility to read/write the links, hoping I could do it through HouseLinc (via the PLM in the Hub).
Houselinc interface won't let you modify the link database through the UI, but you can modify the config file to have any data you want, load that config file, and have it write your custom links.

Other challenge is houselinc does not want to write links to the correct memory address on the newer smartenit units. By tricking Houselinc into thinking that the smartenit is a 2412N, you can get it to read/write links properly.

I'll post clearer information once I get the rest of it worked out.

Link on smartenit should have data1=0, data2=0, data3=valve number (0-7)

Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  7:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteon Hub can absolutely work with the Smartenit EZFlora Sprinkler controller. You just need to create links between the Hub and EZFlora.

There are several ways to go about setting it up. I'm working on writing up simple instructions. This will end up being multiple updates as I have time.

I did a lot of testing, all solutions involved combinations of one or more of the following:
Insteon Hub
HouseLinc
Simple Home Net Utility Suite
2412UH PLM
X10 Remote

Regardless of how you do it, you�ll end up with a scene per control (valve, program, inhibit, etc). So plan on creating up to 15 scenes per EZFlora, and just throwing them into a room.

Here's some links that may be helpful:
Ezflora instructions 1: http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/31270qs.pdf
Ezflora instructions 2: http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloads/EZRain%20Command%20Set.pdf
Ezflora instructions 3: http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloads/EZFlora%20Command%20Set.pdf
Link DB issues: http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=739
Insteon devices: http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/Insteon_device_list.htm

Edited by - jtempleton on 11/22/2013 4:14:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  7:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Option 1: Using Hub App, and current EZFlora state

First we need to add the EZFlora to the Hub App as a device.

1) Start with the EZFlora turned off (nothing running)
2) In the Hub App, select the home icon, then go to All Devices.
3) Press the + to add a device.
4) Select �Other INSTEON Device�
5) Press and hold the set button on the EZFlora for 4 seconds, or enter the ID for your EZFlora.
6) You should see �Device Found�, wait for the Hub App to move to the next screen.
7) Change the name to whatever you like. This should be generic name for the device, not a function so like �Sprinklers�, not �Valve 1�.
8) Press �DONE� in upper right corner.
9) Cycle power on the EZFlora (unplug it and plug it back in).

You�ll now see your EZFlora under All Devices. Turning the device on/off will do nothing, and it will show random status.
Now we are ready to add scenes to control the various EZFlora functions.

10) Set the EZFlora to the �on� state that you want for this scene (turn on a valve, or start a program), using any method available.
11) In the Hub App, press the scenes icon.
12) Press the + to add a scene.
13) Give the scene a name for the control you are setting up - Valve1/Program1/etc.
14) Under Scene Members, select the EZFlora device you added earlier.
15) Press Next
16) The next page will prompt for device settings. The defaults are fine, this does not apply to the EZFlora.
17) Press Done
18) After a while you will be prompted to �single tap the set button� on the EZFlora, just ignore and click OK.
19) You will be prompted to turn off the scene you just created, your choice.
20) Test it out!

Repeat steps 13-19 for each valve or program you want to add.

Notes:
The main limitation for this method is that it only works for Valves and Programs. So you can�t add a button for inhibit, skip, etc.

For setting the current �on state�, hopefully you already have some alternate method of controlling the EZFlora. Any of these will work:
1) Use an X10 remote
2) Use the Simple Home Net Utilities
3) Use a HouseLinc Event to send a direct command

When linking regular Insteon devices (SwitchLinc, etc) to an EZFlora, the EZFlora LED turns off after linking, at which point you can press the set button x times to set what EZFlora function this link should control. The number of button presses is the same as the x10 commands (1=valve 1, 9=program 1, 13 = inhibit, etc).
For some reason with the way Hub is linking, the EZFlora does not end up in this state.

Edited by - jtempleton on 11/22/2013 4:59:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Option 2: Using Direct/Custom commands (yes, direct commands using the Hub)

The Hub is really just a repackaged SmartLinc, with a new version of the web pages (2.6).
Best I can tell, they just modified index.htm, so you don�t see the old SmartLinc home page.
But all the other pages are still there, accessible, and work just as they did before.

So�
/network.htm
/rooms.htm
/r01.htm - /r16.htm
All work just fine.

Making changes in these pages will not show up in the Hub App, but if you are just looking to add timers to control your sprinklers, this is a simple option.

Just follow the old directions here: http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/EZFlora-SmartLinc.pdf
Full list of EZFlora commands is here: http://www.simplehomenet.com/Downloads/EZFlora%20Command%20Set.pdf

The Hub App uses the first available group and moves up from there when creating scenes. I�d use room 14 for this (room 16 in this image is thermostat, and room 15 has some item from the Hub App).

So using a browser (not the Hub App).
1) Go to http://x.x.x.x:yyyy/r14.htm (where x.x.x.x is the IP of your Hub, and yyyy the port)
2) Click on the box with a wrench in the lower left corner.
3) Name and select show for each control you will want (valve 1, program 1, inhibit, etc)
4) Click save and return.
5) For each of the items you added, click on the name to get to the setup page
6) Click on �click here to customize controls�
7) Set the custom commands, see the links above for detail.
8) Click Save and return
9) Set timers as needed.
10) Click save and Return.

Click on the wrench at center bottom (or go to /network.htm) and make sure the time is correct.

Timers will work, and you have manual control over all functions by hitting the page (http://x.x.x.x:yyyy/r14.htm) from any device.

Edited by - jtempleton on 11/26/2013 11:17:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  9:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Option 3: Manually manipulating links.

This assumes you have knowledge of how Insteon links and the link database work. This will also not address the Hub App, assumption is you have an existing group in the Hub App that you will be modifying. You can find the group number for a Hub App scene by editing the scene.

The data in the link on the Hub side (cmd1/2/3) doesn�t matter. For the link on the EZFlora, set cmd1=0, cmd2=0 and cmd3=the control that you want.
For cmd3, 0x00 to 0x0F correspond to the EZFlora X10 commands 1-16.

For Valve 1-8 and program 1-4, it�s probably easiest to just follow the instructions in Option 1 above.
If you want add control over EZFlora functions like Inhibit/Skip from the Hub App, you can add a scene using the instructions in Option 1 (doesn�t matter what state you put the EZFlora in). Then just modify the data in the link on the EZFlora to control the function you want.
Of course you could create all the links manually, but since you have to add SOMETHING to the scene in Hub, it probably doesn�t save any time.

**** Using Simple Home Net Utility Suite. (if you have a PLM).
This is much easier than modifying links in HouseLinc.
Note that database locations on EZFlora�s vary depending on what hardware SmartHome supplied to Smartenit.
More details are here: http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=739
If you look at the ezflora tab, it will show the engine version and database size.
In my case it�s i2/large (MSB=3F, 2016 links), so under manage links, I�ll pick �ALDB Large�.
Clicking on Display device links should show the links, if not, you probably picked the wrong database size.
Also, make sure you are looking at the RIGHT links, meaning ones you know you created and work. Things like Houselinc may have written links to the wrong location, so they will display, but the EZFlora won�t actually use them.

1) Click on the link to be modified (where group matches the group number on the hub), it will populate the �Link Record� section below.
2) Set Device Link Data to 0,0,X, where X is the function you want to control (0x0C = Inhibit, 0x0D = Skip, etc)
3) Click on write link record.

**** Using HouseLinc (if you don�t have a PLM for use with SHN, or just like to do things the hard way)
Create a backup of your HouseLinc config before you starting modifying config files!
This assumes you are familiar with HouseLinc. Everywhere that I refer to links, I�m talking about the database under the advanced tab, not the links tab.
The first challenge with HouseLinc is to get it to read/write to the link DB on the EZFlora. If you have a very old EZFlora, this may not be an issue.
HouseLinc treats EZFlora as a generic device, and assumes that it uses i1, and DB starts at 0x0FF8. It will write and then read links at that location, but they will be totally ignored by the EZFlora if that is not the correct location.
More detail is here: http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=739
My EZFlora (v28) is i2, and DB starts at 0x3FF8.
The trick is to find an Insteon device that does match the parameters of your EZFlora.
In my case that�s a 2412N (SmartLinc) at rev 0x92.

1) Save your HouseLinc config, and exit HouseLinc
2) Edit your config file (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SmartLabs\HouseLinc\Settings\HouseLinc.settings.xml)
3) Find the EZFlora, something like this:
<device insteonID="1A.1A.1A" category="4" subcategory="0" revision="146" top="" ipk="00.00.00" wattage="-1" driver="GenericInsteonDevice" displayName="Sprinklers" active="True" webDeviceID="0" webGatewayControllerGroup="0" powerline="True">
4) Change the category, subcategory, and revision to the compatible device (ignore other fields). Note that the values in the config file are in decimal (base 10). This shows a 2412N:
<device insteonID="1A.1A.1A" category="3" subcategory="16" revision="146" top="" ipk="00.00.00" wattage="-2" driver="SmartLinc03" displayName="Sprinklers 1" active="False" webDeviceID="0" webGatewayControllerGroup="0" powerline="True">
5) Save the config file
6) Open HouseLinc, your EZFlora should now show as whatever device you set it to (2412N in my case).
7) You may need to uncheck �disable houselinc management� depending on the device type you used.
8) Sync the database on the EZFlora, and verify that you are now correctly seeing the links.

All we did so far was get HouseLinc to properly support the LinkDB on the EZFlora.
If you want to modify links, HouseLinc doesn�t really let you through the UI, your only option is to delete a link. So once again we will trick HouseLinc into doing what we want. Normally when looking at the links, you will see the pending column as �D�, which means device. If you modify something, but don�t sync yet, you will see a �P�, which is pending. Pending are link entries as HouseLinc has them, waiting to be updated on the device.

1) Save your HouseLinc config, and exit HouseLinc
2) Edit your config file (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SmartLabs\HouseLinc\Settings\HouseLinc.settings.xml)
3) Find the EZFlora
4) Under the EZFlora, find the record you want to modify. It will look like this:
<record sequence="2">
<device address=" xx.xx.xx " group="10" recordControl="162" data1="0" data2="0" data3="8" modified="11/20/2013 -- 04:50:42 PM" />
</record>
5) Change �device� to �pending�
6) Set cmd1 to 0, cmd2 to 0, and cmd 3 to X, where X is 0-15, corresponding to EZFlora X10 commands 1-16.
7) Save the config file
8) Open HouseLinc, under the EZFlora database, you should now see pending �P� records.
9) You may need to uncheck �disable HouseLinc management� depending on the device type you used earlier.
10) Sync the database on the EZFlora, to write the pending record.
11) Test your changes.

Edited by - jtempleton on 11/26/2013 12:47:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

budgy10
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2014 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could not get the Scene to link to the EZFlora once i turned a valve on. it said it had an issue putting it into linking mode
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  04:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Option #1 will not work. After 2 hours of effort, I can only conclude that Option #1 will not work for most people, myself included.

The problem is on Step #10. I have no way to put the EZFlora into run mode for each Zone so I can set the Zones up as Scenes with the HUB App. My SmartLinc stopped working, so there is no way to put each Zone into "on" mode using SmartLinc. Even if it worked, I do not believe you can run SmartLinc in conjunction with HUB while doing the HUB App programming. And, I can not get the SmartenIt Utility Program to work with HUB. My 2413S simply will no longer connect to the EZFlora to execute an "on" state for each zone ... or do anything for that matter. It simply will not connect with the EZFlora, period, with HUB. I had hoped that I could manually tap the set button in some combination to put the zones in the "on" state. But, that is not possible either. So, without a method to turn on the zones, I can't get Option #1 to work. [Addendum - it is possible to use the Smartenit Utility with HUB. A com port was preventing me from using the utility. However, I ran into further difficulty, see below.]

Any ideas?

Option #2 Will not work either. It won't allow us to view the pages without a user name and password. The HUB username and password we established during setup will not work. I suspect these are a unique combination of user name and password that allows SmartHome cloud to access our routers. Maybe at one point they left this unprotected, but have since locked us out. To be honest though, I simply don't understand what you're driving at with Option #2 anyway. It seems to me that you're trying to work with the old SmartLinc data. But if your SmartLinc is no longer working, how are you accessing data that "is already there" ... I just don't get what you're doing with Option #2.

Option #3 .... ??? My eyes glaze over. Far too complex without a Computer Science degree and years of programming knowledge.

There must be a solution? Anyone?

Just an average Man trying to automate my home.

Edited by - JWillis on 10/12/2014 07:12:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  2:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Simplehomenet Utility Suite has no support for a Hub. When connected to a 2413 PLM the Utility talks directly to the device thru the PLM. Hub is not in the command flow. If the 2413 PLM cannot connect to an EZFlora either the 2413 is defective or there is a comm problem between the PLM location and the EZFlora. Unplug the zone connector and move the EZFlora to the PLM location.

Lee G

Edited by - LeeG on 10/11/2014 2:22:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  07:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lee. You're right. A com port problem was preventing the Utility from connecting to the EZFlora. I finally got the utility to work. I put Zone 1 of Irrigation 1 in run mode and then tried to establish a scene. Ran into further problems.

I'm almost there though. Could use some help. I got thru step 17 of option #1. However, I was not asked to single tap the set button. I was simply given the error message: "An error occurred in putting Irrigation 1 in linking mode. Try again?" I tried again multiple times, each time doing something different:

1. Single tap the device.
2. Hold set button in until LED flashes
3. Hitting Try Again multiple times

None of those worked. I would try to unplug and replug the EZFlora, but that won't work because you must have the EZFlora in run mode for the Zone you are trying to control. Unplugging the EZFlora at this point would shut off the zone. That also prevents me from trying to resolve the issue by unplugging the EZFlora and plugging it into an outlet closer to the HUB ... it needs to be running a Zone when setting up the scene. I can't think of any other things to try here though.

Here's the really frustrating part. In the end, when you can't get the HUB to connect to the EZFlora, you're only option is to hit the "Skip" button. After you do that, you are asked if you want to turn the scene off. When you hit "Yes", then the HUB actually sends a message to the EZFlora that causes the ZONE 1 to turn off !!!! So, we know the HUB can tell the EZFlora to turn off. If I could only get the Scenes established to turn each Zone on, then I think that turning the Zones off would not be a problem.

Technically, what's going on when the HUB is unable to put a device in linking mode when trying to set up a scene? Could this be an issue caused by weak signal strength, maybe resolved with the help of a range extender?

Then again, I just looked at range extenders on the SmartHome site. I saw this: "The Range Extender functionality is built into all dual-band INSTEON products." I have 36 Insteon devices installed in my home now. About 20 of them are dual-band !!! I can not believe it is possible for me to be having signal strength problems with that many dual band devices in my network.

Edited by - JWillis on 10/12/2014 07:56:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  08:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The valves do not need to be connected to turn on a Zone. Disconnect the green valve connection plug and move the EZFlora to the Hub location to eliminate comm question.

Is there a plug point on the face of the EZFlora?

Lee G

Edited by - LeeG on 10/12/2014 08:06:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  09:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lee.

There is no plug point on the EZFlora. If there was, I'd try plugging a range extender into it to see if that solves the problem.

I can't move the EZFlora while sitting up a scene. I must keep the EZFlora wired to the irrigation system. Once I disconnect the green valve connector plug the zone currently 'on' stops operating. A zone must be in 'on' while trying to establish a scene for that zone. That requirement pretty much eliminates an ability to move the EZFlora closer to the HUB to establish scenes.

Still trying as many different combination of actions as possible, but no luck so far.

Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  09:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I turn On/Off Zones all the time without valves attached. Certainly moving the EZFlora will require running the Utility again.

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  10:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Lee. I think I understand you now. The Zones don't have to physically be on, the on message just needs to have been delivered to the EZFlora before setting up the zone as a scene. So, I should be able to disconnect the green valve connection plug, move the EZFlora closer to the HUB, use the utility to send an on message to the EZFlora for a zone, set up a scene, send an off message, then move to setting up a scene for the next zone. Ok, got it.

The problem I'm having now though is I can't get the green connector disconnected from the EZFlora. I don't want to force it, for fear breaking it. So, I am going to take the more painful route and disconnect all the wiring.

Edited by - JWillis on 10/12/2014 10:07:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  10:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee, it's just not working. I disconnected all the wiring. I moved the EZFlora to 3 different outlets nearest the HUB and tried to establish a scene after sending an on signal for Zone 1 from utility to EZFlora. Each time I get the HUB app error message: An error occurred putting Irrigation 1 into linking mode.

There must be another issue that prevents HUB from linking to EZFlora to establish scenes that control zones.

Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  10:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I have the EZFlora plugged in, I wonder if it's also necessary to have the 24 VAC transformer wired into the AC xmr slots while trying to link to the HUB?

Other than that, I just can't think of anything else to try.

Has anyone out there gotten the EZFlora to operate with the HUB?

Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a last ditch effort ... I removed Irrigation 1 as a device. HUB would not do this automatically. I had to select 'Force Remove'

Then, to start with a clean slate, I did a factory reset of the EZFlora. Unplug for at least 5 seconds. Hold set button in for at least 5 seconds as plug device back into wall. Then I used the utility to confirm that EZFlora had been reset to factory settings. It had. Max run time for all zones had been reset to 30 minutes each ... The factory settings. Then I reset the zone times to my requirements.

Next, I set the EZFlora back up as a device in HUB per the directions in option 1 above, having plugged the device into an outlet as close to the HUB as possible. The HUB would not automatically recognize the EZFlora until I held the set button in long enough for the LED to blink. But, it did get added. The HUB App recognizes it as a device.

Next, I used the utility to turn on Zone 1. Then, I tried to establish a scene. Same result, error message "An error occurred putting Irrigation 1 into linking mode." So, I am right back to where I was stopped before. Factory reset of device, removing and re-adding .... Does not work.

At this point, after wasting about 10 hours of effort ... I can only conclude that EZFlora will not work with HUB .... And I'm extremely pissed off with the HUB, and at SmartHome

Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spoke with SmartHome technical support (Cole). He indicated that HUB absolutely WILL NOT WORK with EZFlora. There are currently no plans to make them work together in the future. The best alternative is to buy a Smartenit Controller and run it to control the EZFlora.

Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JWillis

Just spoke with SmartHome technical support (Cole). He indicated that HUB absolutely WILL NOT WORK with EZFlora. There are currently no plans to make them work together in the future. The best alternative is to buy a Smartenit Controller and run it to control the EZFlora.

And the web page for this device now says "Note that this product is not currently compatible with the INSTEON Hub"...either I missed it or it wasn't there when I bought mine. If they have no plans to add the capability, they should be honest and say so...

I'm about to s**t can $1,000 plus of insteon s**t and go to Lowes Iris or another widely support HA system. No I won't give away or sell my insteon s**t since I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else's heart attack. My 30 year old X-10 devices had more capabilities than the HUB (except for the web access).

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10697 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best option for irrigation control is the ISY. It offers conditional programming and can integrate local weather data and evaporation calculations to avoid over or underwatering. The Hub offers remote control and simple schedules only on the equipment which it supports.
Go to Top of Page

porsche_kid
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  4:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Houselinc with a 2414U running 24/7 on a windows 7 to control my ezflora. I do this by creating an event and sending custom commands to the ezflora to turn on/off specific sprinkler valves and also send an on/off command to a keypadlinc. Since I can turn off/on a sprinkler valve using the keypadlinc, I added the keypadlinc to my hub. I can control the ezflora from the hub by turning the keypadlinc on or off.
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  5:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, we manually assigned each Zone of an EZFlora to a Key on an 8 button Keypad (similar steps to how you set an EZFlora up in SmartLinc). Set the Keypad up as a device in HUB. Set up a scene for each Key of the Keypad in HUB. Then set a schedule for each scene ??? Is that how to accomplish this?

If we can do this, then that would give us individual on/off control of each Zone, and the ability to establish watering cycles at a specified time of the day(s) of the week ... all through HUB. That's all I need.

Doable?

Even if it was, I have 2 EZFlora. It would take $160 in KeyPads to get this done. For that same $160, I can buy a Smartenit Controller, not have to hassle with KeyPad installation, and probably wind up with Smartenit software that provides much greater EZFlora functionality. After all this hassle, I'll probably just go the Smartenit Controller route. Who knows, maybe I find out that the Smartenit Controller is also the better option to control all my Insteon devices as well? It's certainly worth exploring, because my HUB installation has been a nightmare, and I have myriad other HUB issues/problems that still need resolution.

Edited by - JWillis on 10/13/2014 6:40:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  6:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

The best option for irrigation control is the ISY. It offers conditional programming and can integrate local weather data and evaporation calculations to avoid over or underwatering. The Hub offers remote control and simple schedules only on the equipment which it supports.

Tfitz...I've always appreciated your knowledge and assistance. Where I'm at right now is that after going through 3 SmartLincs (they burned out and are no longer available so I switched to the LESS Capable HUB) and 2 HUBs (they were replaced under warranty) I'm not willing to buy ANOTHER $200 product just to control "light switches" in a way similar to my obsolete X-10 did years ago (I realize Insteon has many more capabilities). Guess I'm just stuck with a bunch of equipment I'm beginning to hate vs. biting the bullet (wallet) and switching to another vendor's product.

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  6:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, we manually assigned each Zone of an EZFlora to a Key on an 8 button Keypad (similar steps to how you set an EZFlora up in SmartLinc). Set the Keypad up as a device in HUB. Set up a scene for each Key of the Keypad in HUB. Then set a schedule for each scene ??? Is that how to accomplish this?

If we can do this, then that would give us individual on/off control of each Zone, and the ability to establish watering cycles at a specified time of the day(s) of the week ... all through HUB. That's all I need.

Doable?

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a good one. Now all I need is to buy another $80 Switchlinc, find a place to install it, then I can schedule my sprinklers (or I can use my 30 year old X-10 controller/timer to do the same thing I think?)

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

JWillis
Average Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  6:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fiddletownrob - It's not a SwitchLinc you're looking to buy. You'll need an INSTEON 2334-222 Keypad Dimmer Switch (Dual-Band), 8-Button, White.

Smartenit has a good forum too. They can answer over there as to whether you could accomplish this using your old X-10 controller/timer. Justin is their expert on the EZFlora. And I have an active thread over on that forum discussing this topic with him.

Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  8:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

fiddletownrob - It's not a SwitchLinc you're looking to buy. You'll need an INSTEON 2334-222 Keypad Dimmer Switch (Dual-Band), 8-Button, White.

Smartenit has a good forum too. They can answer over there as to whether you could accomplish this using your old X-10 controller/timer. Justin is their expert on the EZFlora. And I have an active thread over on that forum discussing this topic with him.

from Smartenit:

Controlling Valves with an INSTEON Device (Ex. KeypadLinc)
In this example, we�ll show you how to program an 8-button Keypadlinc to control each respective zone on your EZFlora
1) Press and hold the fist button on your KeypadLinc until it begins to blink.
2) Press and hold the SET button on your EZFlora for about 4 seconds. Your KeypadLinc should stop blinking, indicating a successful
link, and the LED on your EZFlora will go out waiting for which zone to program.
3) Press the SET button once for Zone 1(twice for Zone 2, thrice for Zone 3 etc...)
4) Press the SET button fially for about 4 seconds. Button 1 is now programed to control Zone 1 of your EZFlora!
5) Repeat steps 1-4 to program the rest of your zones, making sure to select button 2 for Zone 2, button 3 for Zone 3, and so on.
Controlling Valves with an X10 Device
The EZFlora uses the unit code of an X10 address to control the corresponding Zone # (A1 for Zone 1, A8 for Zone 8, etc...)
1) Press and hold the SET button on your EZFlora for about 4 seconds. The LED should be blinking steadily waiting for an X10 code.
2) Using an X10 controller, send the desired X10 command (Ex. A1 ON) three times within 30 seconds.
- To disable X10, repeat this process substituting an OFF address in step 2.
Factory Reset- Unplug your EZFlora for at least 5 seconds. Press the SET button while plugging back in. Continue holding SET button
for 5 seconds and then release.
Important Note: Each zone is set to a maximum time of 30 minutes by default and must be confiured via software if longer time is needed.

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JWillis, thanks for notifying me. I haven't been watching the forums for a while.

I too was extremely frustrated when Smarthome replaced my SmartLinc with a hub. I never could get any answer from Smartenit or Smarthome, and no one ever said it would be supported.

The three options I outlined were what I figured out after a week of me playing with it. I did successfully use all three options I outlined there.

As for using a KeypadLinc, I don't think that will do what you want. You'd be able to control the valves from the KeypadLinc, but controlling the KeypadLinc from the Hub would just turn the lights on and off on the KeypadLinc, not actually control the EZFlora.

As for you question about how to get the EZFlora into the state you want it for linking, I use the Smartenit utility suite with the Hub. To do this, since the Smartenit utilites only supported a com port, I used this... http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

It's free and fairly straight forward. Just enter the com port you want it to emulate, and tell it the ip/port to connect to. IP would be the IP of your hub, port is 9761. After that just have the Smartenit utility use that com port.

Let me know what point you are at currently, and I'll help if I can. All I can tell you is that it did work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page