Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Speakers, A/V & Home Theater
 moving dvr to basement ???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TimCA
Average Member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all,
I am considering moving all 3 of my Tivo DVR's to the basement where my structured wiring panel is are there any problems you can forsee with this besides having to bye an ir repeter? I never seem to tuch the dvr and thought it would be cleaner looking.
Second question... if you were seting up home tvs (3 rooms / tvs) from scratch how would you do it? Each tv has a dvr and 2 of them are "smart" tvs. Thanks for the ideas.
Tim

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  2:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do any (more than one) of the DVRs respond to the same remote?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  2:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question , I have never tryied but they are the same brands and same brand of remote (the one that came with the dvr from direct tv). Ill check.
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  7:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I like the idea, but are they tivo brand Dvrs? TiVo has a pretty good app for controlling their dvrs over the network. I have three tivos and the app works well with them. I believe direct tv has an app as well, but not sure what this does.
I would take a look at roomie remote (http://www.roomieremote.com/). I played with it for a month or two and then went all in. They sell a great device (smarthome also sells it) called an itach flex. It can be configured with three separate ir emitters, you could put one on each box, and then control them individually with the roomie app. It starts with a $10 app, then you add $20 for unlimited device control, then $10 for ir control. You'll add about $100 for the itach. Not sure if you are an insteon user, but roomie works well with my smartlinc, and apparently better with the isy. I can hit a single button which will turn on av equipment and switch the avr input, and then adjust lights. Pretty cool.
E

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  08:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E
The roomie looks cool but im a droid guy. I have been using the peal app on my tablet and like it. It is ir based. What would be nice is one large dvr or something that all the tvs could share ....
Tim
Go to Top of Page

EricK
Advanced Member

684 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  8:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could set that up but would need a video splitter to send the feed to all of your tvs. Of course then you could only have one show on all tvs at a time.

Devices (approx): ISY-994 Pro, 15 KPLs, 33 switchlincs, 4 outletlincs, 2 door sensors, 3 Lamp-lincs, 5 Appliance-lincs, i/o-lincs for ELK WSV2, Somfy bridge,and garage door sensor, Leak Sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 access points, about 20 X10 devices.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  9:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remotely controlling a DVR is not difficult. Individually remotely controlling three DVRs in the same physical location that use identical IR codes is.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  11:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to get to the point that my remote control setup is intuitive for most, but am convinced that the most promising approach is to abandon IR where possible and use wifi control and a tablet. Like you, I use android tablets around the house, and have one for this purpose, and use an app called "Able Remote" (front for a google TV box) for this purpose. Unfortunately, I don't use any TiVo devices, so I can only talk theoretically, and i don't think Able will work for you.

I see an app dedicated to TiVo control via Wifi. Touchsquid is a pretty powerful app cabable, apparently, of control of many devices, including TiVo, TVs, Bluray players, etc... Touchsquid may be the android equivalent of roomie. IRule is another apparently powerful android app that can control a lot of different devices, including home automation.

Unfortunately, if you still have electronics that are controllable via IR, then you will still need some type of blaster. My impression is that the global cache IR blasters are well suited for this purpose. Were I to find some extra time and money, I would be upgrading my system with iRule or Touchsquid, and a compatible IR blaster for those devices not network-enabled.

Hopefully, this provides a few leads that you find useful.
Go to Top of Page

TimCA
Average Member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  8:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys for all the input I have been using the peel app that is native on my samsung galaxy tablet and it works OK for each room. I am hoping that one day it will work with my home automation and lighting. My real question now is that my direct tv traffic is up so now I am looking at whether or not to upgrade to Jeannie 4.0 whole new way with something else hopefully cheaper and usable on all three TV's. my problem is I like DIY TV that no one seems to carry. Any suggestions or things that work for you are very welcome Thanks Tim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page