Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 [Newbie] Insteon cameras to trigger scenes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R88R
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  10:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all:

I was wondering if it's possible to trigger a scene with the Insteon 75790 camera, preferably using just the Hub and not the Homelinc software.

Ideally I'd like the following:
* [possible] Camera senses motion
* [possible] Camera sends notification text/email
* [ ? ] Camera triggers 'Arrival' scene

I know that I could just use a motion sensor, but I plan on getting the camera anyway and don't want to waste $40 if I don't need to.

Thanks

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Hub does not allow adding a camera to a scene. HouseLinc does not allow using the camera as an event trigger, but you can send a camera image as an action.

The camera has the ability to send an email and/or text when motion is detected.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

R88R
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  4:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stu! I'll pick up a motion detector then.
Go to Top of Page

shdwlynx

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  10:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone arriving at this topic years after it was started (it's 2018 as I post this) you'll need to use Internet Explorer to access the camera's website if you want access to all functionality. Nope, even Edge won't work right since the camera's web server uses obsolete ActiveX technology to deliver the good stuff such as actually being able to see the camera's video and control it.

But specific to this post, what you need to be able to access is the "Alarm" tab on the Settings page. It simply doesn't exist when using browsers other than Internet Explorer.

The "Alarm" tab provides access to the Motion Detection setup, which is where you can enable motion and sound detection. Interestingly, you can have it send an alert not only for motion and sound detected by the camera, but also audio sent TO the camera (you can't actually send audio from any official Insteon app, but you can using the camera's website using Internet Explorer.)

- John

Edited by - shdwlynx on 01/11/2018 10:33:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

240 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  11:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your post has nothing to do with what the author was wanting to do. The alarm tab is specific to the camera functions only. It does not activate any other insteon device when used with the hub.
Go to Top of Page

shdwlynx

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  1:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My message was not meant to imply that it was possible to activate a scene using a camera, but using "modern" browsers, it's not even possible to activate the motion (and sound) sensing capabilities, so I thought it relevant to inform anyone else that might find this topic that it's still possible using Internet Explorer.

That being said, you're right that my reply doesn't address the main concern of R88R. There is a workaround using Stringify:

Have the camera send the e-mail to a Gmail account to which Stringify has access (you'll have to add the Gmail thing to the Stringify app to use it as a trigger). Then you can have Stringify do just about whatever you want with your Insteon devices and activate scenes.

See: http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2016/8/26/control-and-integrate-insteon-devices-with-stringify
And: https://forums.stringify.com/t/please-add-a-gmail-thing/507/4
And: https://forums.stringify.com/t/insteon-scenes-support/448/13

- John
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

240 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  2:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The explorer part is good information for everyone. I was just speaking about the alarms tab. It could've led to someone misunderstanding what it can do.

Thanks for adding the stringify information for those who may want to use that.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/11/2018 2:12:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

shdwlynx

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  06:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're quite welcome and thanks for taking me to task so that I would post something more worthwhile!

- John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page