Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Honeywell Ademco to ELK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DIYguy
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  2:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently have a fairly extensive Honeywell Ademco Vista 20 security system installed.
Does anyone know how much of the Honeywell system can be utilized if I convert over to the ELK M1 Gold?

About half the zones are hardwired and the other are wireless. The hardwired shouldn't be a problem, mostly magnetic contacts for doors and motion detectors. Not sure about the wireless if they are proprietary to the Honeywell.

Two LCD touchscreen keypad. Thinking probably not compatible with ELK?

Two standard keypads. Maybe compatible?

Multiple heat/smoke detectors, horns (sirens). Not sure if these will also work with the ELK.

The reason I'm considering the switch is I have upgraded my home automation to Insteon and the ISY and have a static IP for remote access.

I may not know what I'm doing when I start, but I will by the time I'm done.

Edited by - DIYguy on 04/02/2014 2:30:09 PM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10835 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  4:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would expect the wired contacts, motion and heat detectors, wired smokes and sirens ought to all work, though you may need to adjust the EOL resistors. Wireless units will depend on the make and model.

Keypads are proprietary to the brand and model of panel. You'll need to replace those with Elk keypads, but you may be able to skip some units in far-flung bedrooms since you'll be able to control it from your mobile phones and tablets via the ISY instead.
Go to Top of Page

DIYguy
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a number of the Ademco #5816 wireless transmitters contected to standard magnetic contacts. I expect the transmitter will have to go, the contacts stay.

Have about six wireless motion detectors in place, I would have to check my files to confirm if these are Ademco or generic.

Trying to get an idea of cost and advantages to convert over to the ELK vrs security being security, automation being automation.

Go to Top of Page

mathewss
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  4:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathewss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am currently looking into integrating our AlarmDecoder devices into the ISY994i. We have one we are testing with currently the goal initially is to have it update the ISY variables about ARM/DISARM/ALARM states. Later we will add zone events etc. It is even possible to have the ISY open/close a virtual alarm zone allowing you to use other sensors as part of your alarm.

The 5800 RF stuff and well everything except hard contacts would have to be trashed it is only going to work on Vista systems.

One advantage if you have 5800RF devices they are excellent for occupancy sensing as the AD2* can see motion events from them.

Re
Sean M

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10835 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  4:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elk has a support site as well. You may want to ask over there if someone makes a bridge for that wireless gear: http://www.elkproducts.com/m1_owner_support.html
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIYguy
Have about six wireless motion detectors in place, I would have to check my files to confirm if these are Ademco or generic.

It doesn't matter if the detectors are Ademco or generic or even "universal." The critical specific is that the responder(s) be on the same frequency as the wireless transmitter.
quote:

Trying to get an idea of cost and advantages to convert over to the ELK vrs security being security, automation being automation.

You are absolutely correct Home security and home automation are different needs and require different solutions. Neither is nor should be consider as a replacement for the other. An advantage of Elk security is the integration of these two solutions.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

DIYguy
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  6:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting timing....

Half hour ago couple guys from xfinity were at the door trying to sell their automation/security package. Did the "this is what I already have, what can you do?" and that stopped the push.

I've had multiple companies pushing the home automation & security packages which has caught my interest to see what I can do with what I already have.

Two days ago was at another store that shall not be named (AT&T) and they were pushing their system package. There system is Z-wave based and everything I currently have would have to be replaced. They still kept pushing ???

If I can roll what I've already spent for the automation and security system together and only have to spend hundreds of dollars instead of thousands, I'm interested.

Go to Top of Page

mathewss
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathewss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a nice conversation with an engineer at Universal Devices last night regarding the integration of the AlarmDecoder and the ISY994i.

Currently it is trivial to set variables using the open source python library for ISY from the Ad2Pi or a Raspberry Pi / other embedded controller connected to an AD2USB. The problem I am currently confronting is what is the best approach one that will follow a path that the ISY development team would support in the future. Some questions have come up regarding standardizing on the concepts of zones and armed states as well as the possibility of building a new module to standardize these variables and states.

Until this is done I would be willing to write some code for you using our API and the ISY API to fill non standardized variables with states such as ARMED/DISARMED/ALARM so you can write your own programs for the ISY to act on these events I just need your help in testing and providing feedback.

Re
Sean M
Go to Top of Page

DIYguy
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It doesn't matter if the detectors are Ademco or generic or even "universal." The critical specific is that the responder(s) be on the same frequency as the wireless transmitter.

I contacted the company I purchased the Ademco system from and they also carry the ELK. Asked about whether or not the different Ademco modules can be reused and the good news is "yes" ELK has a wireless expansion modules that is designed to utilize the Ademco 5800 series of wireless devices.

So far it appears I would need a new M1 Gold unit, zone expander module, wireless module and (4) new keypads. Looks like I can salvage all the other components.

Does anyone actually use the ELK and ISY together and what are your thoughts? Worth it?
JJ

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6178 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many ELK with an ISY994i series users.
The optional ELK add on firmware module adds many features to the basic ELK ISY994i functions.
http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i_Series_INSTEON:ELK_Security_Module
http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=a221c6da292e6d9bd8047d05d6f35939
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A downside is that such products do not do both security and automation as well as separate products nor are they nearly as flexible, that is, the options that they provide is more limited.

Another downside is that if one system goes down, then both systems are dysfunctional.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Bizywk
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  11:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone still has any concerns in this area, they might want to investigate this interface to solve the problem:

https://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-m1xrf2h-m1-wireless-receiver-for-honeywell-transmitters
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page