Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 Automating air conditioner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  11:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a home automation/energy efficiency question.

I have a window a/c that is on an Insteon switch so I can control on/off.

I want to get to a place where I can keep my apt (small, studio) at a comfortable temperature while still being mindful of electric costs.

Would I be best served to open the window so the apt gets fresh air during the day while I'm at work, or keep the windows closed so I can have the a/c keep the temp under 80 during the summer days and then have it ramp up to 74 or so when I'm coming home?

The difficulty I havent been able to reconcile is the automated-ness of the a/c but keeping the windows closed during the day not allowing any cool air to make its way in vs. keeping the windows open during the day but not being able to have the a/c come automatically or remotely without being able to close the windows first.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

tshrimp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  1:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There might be better solutions, as I do not automate my AC via my hub. I use a wifi enabled thermostat.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RET97A5E1001-U-Wi-Fi-Thermostat/dp/B00FLZEQH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400617990&sr=8-2&keywords=nest+thermostat

This allows me to set a schedule every day.
Ex:

Tuesdays and Thursdays:
Wake up at 6am temps at 78
Leave at 7am temps at 83
Return at 7pm temps at 78
Sleep at 11pm temps at 80

Monday, Wed, Fri:
Wake up at 8am temps at 77
Leave at 9am temps at 82
Return at 6pm temps at 77
Sleep at 11pm temps at 82

You can set this for any day. If something changes you can use an app on your phone or the web and make changes.

Ex. Wife called while I was out. She was not going to be home for a couple of hours. I was also going to be gone for a while, so I pulled out my phone and launched the app and put the Thermostat on 85. It then asks when to go back to the schedule. I put in a time a few hours later. Got home and all was nice and cool (I know my temps seem warm to you, but I am in the south and use to hot weather, so feels cool to me).

BTW...Most items you can do via the app and web can be done on the thermostat. Not all but most.

I hope this helps and is what you were looking for.
Go to Top of Page

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  1:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thermostats like that don't work with a window A/C right?
Go to Top of Page

tshrimp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  1:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benjgott

Thermostats like that don't work with a window A/C right?

Sorry. I should have read closer. You did say Window A/C, but for some reason had central in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  2:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An InsteonWireless thermostat can control any Insteon responder (as long as it is not linked to an Insteon wired thermostat).

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

tshrimp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  2:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe something like this would work for you....

https://shop.smartthings.com/#/products/smartsense-multi

"Connect the SmartSense Multi to your SmartThings Hub to detect movement, vibration, change in orientation, and temperature.

Maybe you can set something with this by time and temp.

Ex. have it near your A/C unit you can configure the time in which the device reacts to temps, so set between the hours of 8-5 to see the temps...then have it a part of your A/C unit setup to turn on if switch shows above X degrees then it turns on your unit.

Not familiar with Insteon, so not sure if this is even compatible. Not sure if doable, and might take some work.

Edited by - tshrimp on 05/20/2014 2:05:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  2:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

An InsteonWireless thermostat can control any Insteon responder (as long as it is not linked to an Insteon wired thermostat).

Interesting, so I can set a wireless thermostat to turn on/off an appliance module connected to my A/C?

I did not know that was possible.
Go to Top of Page

tshrimp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  2:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What stusviews sounds good. Also is Insteon proprietary, Z-Wave, or Zigbee? Can it take any Z-Wave or Zigbee devices?
Go to Top of Page

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  2:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right now I'm all on Insteon. (Hub and a few plug in modules/switches)

I did just get an Arduino and I'm working on setting something up with that.

That should be able to sense temperature and send an HTTP post to the hub to turn on/off the a/c as needed.

Building that out, in theory I could eventually add in some IR functionality to be able to turn the a/c up/down as needed.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benjgott

quote:

Interesting, so I can set a wireless thermostat to turn on/off an appliance module connected to my A/C?

Yes, you can.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tshrimp
Also is Insteon proprietary, Z-Wave, or Zigbee? Can it take any Z-Wave or Zigbee devices?

Insteon, Z-Wave, Zigbee, X10, UPB and others are all propriety except that many Insteon devices are also X10 compatible.

Go to Top of Page

Magie
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  03:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Magie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wireless thermostats are now widely used in air conditioners but adding up to the old ac's is not an easy task to do.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  09:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An Insteon On/Off Module plus a Mini Remote can turn any plug-in window AC on or off wirelessly.

Add a Wireless Thermosat for easy temperature control, too.

Edited by - stusviews on 05/28/2014 09:13:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

An Insteon On/Off Module plus a Mini Remote can turn any plug-in window AC on or off wirelessly.

Add a Wireless Thermosat for easy temperature control, too.

I don't see how the wireless thermostat would be able to control the temperature.

Can you please elaborate?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thermostat is linked (by pushing buttons) as a controller of the On/Off Module. When the temperature rises to a preset level, the thermostat sends a command to the On/Off Module to turn on the AC and off when the temperature drops just as any thermostat would do.

You can optionally set a schedule (program the thermostat).

Go to Top of Page

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  09:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok so not full control as in adjusting of temperature setting on the A/C but as long as I keep the A/C set to a lower temperature than I would ever set the wireless thermostat, the thermostat would essentially be replacing the thermostat onboard the A/C and shutting off the A/C when it reaches the desired lower temperature.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  10:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's correct. And a Mini Remote will allow you to select from several temperature setting.

Go to Top of Page

benjgott

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit benjgott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So the thermostat can have different "scenes" that can be triggered by the remote?

Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  11:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. The scenes are set separately from and/or in addition to thermostat programming.

Go to Top of Page

alarson566
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  12:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year we decided to try automating our heating needs as the weather got colder. We grabbed an indoor fireplace and were able to set it up to auto ignite during the times we know were going to be in the bedroom and turn off when we're going to sleep. Zone heating can really save a lot. It does make for colder trips to the kitchen though.
Go to Top of Page

oliverqq
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2021 :  09:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the thread is old, but is there better solution?
Go to Top of Page

martiscore
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2021 :  09:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just keep my window open, my LG ac does the job well. The electric costs are pretty moderate, however, it depends on your income. You mentioned that your apartment is small, so what are the problems? The difference in costs will be minimal wherever you locate the air conditioner. Also, you will anyway spend some money on cleaning. I do my aircon cleaning twice per year using a service. I guess you are doing nearly the same. So what solutions are needed here? Just buy the energy-efficient unit - extra costs will be covered with time.

Edited by - martiscore on 06/18/2021 06:57:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

poulsenar
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  07:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always considered that it's way better to keep the window open instead of the AC while I'm at work. First of all, it would cost me a lot of money to keep the AC on all day. The electricity bills would be huge! Second of all, it's a complete waste of energy, and it's so bad for the environment. It could also cause the AC to leak, which happened to me once a few years ago. Thankfully, I came across this article socool.sg/why-is-your-aircon-not-cold/ on which I read about how many issues can leaving the AC on for too long can cause.

Edited by - poulsenar on 09/12/2021 09:01:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page