Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Garage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sutphinwb

48 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  4:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve a 2450 I/O link hooked to a garage kit bought from smarthome. Iíve it hooked up so it works pretty well; the open, close detection thing works well if you ďflipĒ the command in the device. But the opening and closing actuation using HCA requires that I turn off, turn on, turn off, and turn on again before it does the opposite of the current state. That is, if the door is closed, I have to send four sequences to the thing to get it to open. My opener has a three wire connection. I tried futzing with the contact mode (momentary, etc) but it doesnít seem to matter. HCA shows the garage door (via input) open or closed no matter what the true state is because the state may be trigger by a different source.

I've a Lift Master 1265 Security+. I've the relay connected to the two left most terminals, ganged with the wall control.

Any help appreciated.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10955 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  5:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You definitely want to use momentary mode for garage door control. It sounds like the issue is that the way the HCA software is set up it isn't able to recognize that turning the device 'on' in momentary mode doesn't leave the device in the changed state.

Your best bet for sorting this out may be over at the Home Control Assistant support forum: http://www.hcatech.com/forum/
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  6:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The state of the relay is not the state of the garage door. You need to look at the state of the sensor for that.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4172 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  05:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mind definitely moves along the same lines as Tfitzpatri8 here. I initially suspect this is an issue caused by the interraction between HCA and the IOLinc. Unfortunately, it is only a suspicion since I am not familiar with this software.

As far as connections to the garage door opener, they should be to the same contacts as is the wall button.

I understand that the IOLinc modes are in force only when the IOLinc is responding to scene commands. If HCA is sending direct commands to the IOLinc, the modes would not matter.

My tempation would be to run an experiment (assuming you have the extra insteon resources). I would create a temporary scene with a spare keypad button or switch as controller and IOLinc (relay) as responder. Once created, does the keypad or switch cause the door to move? Do the modes make a difference in this case? If this experiement results in "yes" answers to the above questions, then I would take this as further evidence that the problem is with the relationship between HCA and the IOLinc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page