Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 2245-222 HUB II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BLH
Advanced Member

6288 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my 2014 Smarthome Holiday Catalog.
Along with the HUB. A $39.99 HUB II is also listed.
I have not compared the features between the two of them yet.
It has not made it to the Smarthome Sales Pages yet.
The Users and Quick Manuals are on the Insteon.com Manuals page.
It is also in the FCC Database.
Grantee: SBP. Product Code:22452

paceyben
Advanced Member

413 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  1:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manuals also posted here http://www.insteon.com/support.html

Seems to be officially called "Insteon Hub (2014)"
Go to Top of Page

cobom1628

15 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cobom1628's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was looking at options to replace my hub - it has trouble adding new devices that are 6 inches away. I too noticed a sub $40 Hub II and was hoping to find some news here. Is it the same as the original $99-$129 (depending on when / where you got it)? It is in the catalog has "enhanced" but I cannot order from the web site.

I see alot of negative blogs on the Hub, and do not see it anywhere in any top 10 for automation solutions - but with several dozen Insteon devices invested I would like to stick with the Hub, plus I am confident that improvements will be always forth coming.

So is this an improved Hub?
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  7:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody knows for sure about the final selling price until it's posted on the sales page. But it is the new HUB II whether it includes or has the ability to use Apples home Kit nobody knows until more information is provided.

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  9:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Insteon Hub has a two year warranty. If it isn't working, I'd contact tech support to see whether they can help figure out the problem or replace it under warranty.
Go to Top of Page

bhaugen
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  04:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of these hubs, I got it in a starter kit from Menards. It seems to work fine. I am new to this so I am having a bit of a learning curve on making it work, but I am working through those issues.

One issue I noticed is that it doesn't work with the Houselinc software. I would like to have some software like that to be able to better manage the linking and unlinking. running back a forth gets kinda old, especially when you screw up.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  05:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bhaugen

I have one of these hubs, I got it in a starter kit from Menards. It seems to work fine. I am new to this so I am having a bit of a learning curve on making it work, but I am working through those issues.

One issue I noticed is that it doesn't work with the Houselinc software. I would like to have some software like that to be able to better manage the linking and unlinking. running back a forth gets kinda old, especially when you screw up.

If you use the smartphone App you should not have to do that.

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

bhaugen
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  07:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

quote:

Teken . . .

The app seems basic to me, although I am still working at it. From what I have read, Houselinc still allowed more options.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6288 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  08:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone in the Insteon forums got the new HUB in a Starter Kit and reported it did not work with HouseLinc.
http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/insteon-products/central-controllers/houselinc/27723-houselinc-with-2245-222-hub
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  08:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

quote:

Teken . . .

The app seems basic to me, although I am still working at it. From what I have read, Houselinc still allowed more options.

Yes, HL Software provided quite a few conditional programming along with diagnostic testing features. What kind of conditions can be programmed in this HUB II?

Your insight would be most helpful for those looking to purchase this unit but want more details before taking the plunge.

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the impression this new unit is aimed at people starting out with Insteon who just want the simple basics--remote control, simple timers, and an easier way to cross-link scenes with multiple controllers. If a feature isn't mentioned in the product description, assume it isn't a feature.

If you want more advanced features, conditionals, diagnostics, etc., or if your home is filled with older, pre-i2cs devices, it's a safe bet that the ISY is still your choice.
Go to Top of Page

bhaugen
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  09:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Someone in the Insteon forums got the new HUB in a Starter Kit and reported it did not work with HouseLinc.
http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/insteon-products/central-controllers/houselinc/27723-houselinc-with-2245-222-hub

That would be me.

From what I can tell, it does everything the previous version of the hub did, but with no HL support. I can't really do any real conditional programs, or diagnostics. I have a windows phone, and Windows 8.1. The app works on both. The only issue that appears to not work correctly is the 6 button scene controller only shows up as a single off/on in the app. The A-D scenes do not show up in either apps. Remote features worked, no issues with my router.

I can setup the typical cross linking of switches. I have a motion detector on the outside lights on the garage doors. I have some off times set in case I leave lights on outside.

I have the wireless indoor camera, and plan on setting up another outdoor camera.

Thermostat works, after I wired up the common wire to power the thermostat. It was not wired to use a battery power thermostat.

I live on a rural property, and have a separate storage/shop building. The building has a separate breaker panel from the house, but is on the same meter from the power coop. I have a bobcat in there that I use to remove snow. I have a block heater setup on it with an outdoor on/off plug device. I can turn on the power to the block heater anywhere from my phone so if it snows I can have the engine preheated to aid in starting it. I live near Fargo ND so this is a must.

Overall I am happy with it. I am still learning how to set it up. I still have a garage door kit to install, and will add more lights and start making some scenes.

I might consider an ISY, but I like the simplicity of the app also. I don't think there is app support with the ISY.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  09:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people use Mobilinc for the smartphone App. If you believe more conditional logic is in your future. I would not hesitate to recommend the ISY Series controller.

Note: The ISY can be as dumb as you like simply adding, linking, creating scenes. But, if you want to have extreme logic, conditions, weather, energy, network, alarm, related control the ISY will do these and more.

As I am sure you already know its about having a strong foundation. The ISY provides this and much more for now, and into the future.

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

cobom1628

15 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  5:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit cobom1628's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new hub, according to Insteon support, has more range, stronger signal, and much cheaper. But will not have X-10 support. Many people like myself are after very basic home automation that works with a minimal to no learning curve. So far the Hub does this for me, for $39.99 I can imagine it will appeal to a lot of people.
Go to Top of Page

tinkererguy
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  9:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit tinkererguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great discussion. Amazing that this thread was first.

I also wrote up this brief article with some scans of the catalog page:
http://TinkerTry.com/insteon-hub-ii-appears-first-in-november-2014-smarthome-catalog

which The Digital Media Zone ("Home: On" Podcast folks) picked up on:
https://twitter.com/digimediazone/status/534923572805124096

Looking forward to following this thread, interesting that somehow Menards had stock first, and that somehow the manual has Windows and Android screenshots, but no iOS.

5+ yr. INSTEON owner.
TinkerTry.com founder.

Edited by - tinkererguy on 11/18/2014 9:45:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

bhaugen
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  06:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Microsoft announced a partnership with Insteon last summer with support with both phone and PC touchscreen apps. That is partly why there is Windows screen shots in the manual. Being a windows phone user, that is what pushed me more to the insteon produce.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tinkererguy

Great discussion. Amazing that this thread was first.

I also wrote up this brief article with some scans of the catalog page:
http://TinkerTry.com/insteon-hub-ii-appears-first-in-november-2014-smarthome-catalog

which The Digital Media Zone ("Home: On" Podcast folks) picked up on:
https://twitter.com/digimediazone/status/534923572805124096

Looking forward to following this thread, interesting that somehow Menards had stock first, and that somehow the manual has Windows and Android screenshots, but no iOS.

Its not too surprising given how business operates these days. When Google bought NEST, Apple dropped them from store shelves. When Apple went with Tom Tom and away from Google for maps you saw the same thing.

The NFL was a Beats Audio affiliate sponsor and so was BOSE. Now that Microshaft is sponsor Beats has been removed etc. The ex Microsoft CEO Steve Baumer purchased what ever NBA team and banned all use of Apple Tablets and those poor bastards have to use the Surface.

Now, with the partnership of Microsoft and Insteon it would be expected that development and advertising would be Windows based and brought to the for front.

Is this good?

Probably not given the Microsoft's in ability to do things right. The Surface Tablet is one of the products that caused them to write off 100 million dollars because it was developed and marketed piss poor.

Then, there is Windows 8, just like Vista, Windows ME, etc. Whether Microsoft stays in this HA industry remains to be seen. As they didn't do a hell of a lot with the Hohm Energy portal!

Given the fact Steve B is out and not running the company into the ground and the new CEO appears to have more common sense. There might be light at the end of the tunnel.

It was quite telling the direction under the new CEO has because he released Office for iOS before it hit a Andriod platform. Now, the only thing he needs to do is stop the stupid aszz Adverts that try to mimic or mock Apple or similar companies when they simply can't compete.

The only saving grace for Microsoft is that the new CEO fired the PR firm that was with them over the last 10 years. But, they continue to make childish and retarded commercials trying to compare them, to Apple??

Really, do they have no shame??

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 11/19/2014 11:01:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

tinkererguy
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit tinkererguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some new info has arrived via email and site commenters today:
http://smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html
http://insteon.com/insteon-hub.html

See all the updates, now added to:
http://TinkerTry.com/insteon-hub-ii-appears-first-in-november-2014-smarthome-catalog/

5+ yr. INSTEON owner.
TinkerTry.com founder.
Go to Top of Page

kandlg

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received the e-mail this morning. One of the first things I noticed is there is a new kit with a mini remote in it. The mini remote has not been compatable with the old hub. I wonder if this is a new mini remote version which is compatible or if the old mini-remote is now capatable with the hub via app update.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6288 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  06:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The HUB II alone is on the sales pages this morning.
Introductory offer while supplies last. One to customer.
http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html
Go to Top of Page

cybershawngates
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so I just got this hub. It works fine but the speed is disappointing. The android app is slow to login and buggy. Takes up to 20 seconds (i'm coming from a USB powerlinc insteon interface which was snappy - I was using a 3rd part app called qwhomeautomation and response time was instant). Same with device status updates takes several seconds as it updates each device. I wish also the device list could be a list instead of these large icons (or give ppl an option since I have 20+ devices).

Android app - nest thermostat login doesn't work so I added it from a ipad and then it works but I still can't control the temp up/down from android (works fine on ioS)

Are all insteon hubs kinda slow? Should I go back to USB interface (advantage w hub is no need to leave computer on 24/7). Thanks.

Edited by - cybershawngates on 12/02/2014 11:13:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That delay is likely a consequence of the design. When the Hub app starts up, it determines the type of connection the mobile device has to the Internet, logs into the cloud service, gets the latest public IP and private IP address of the Hub (which might have changed since last use, if you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP or have rebooted your modem or router), logs into the Hub interface, synchronizes scene and schedule settings (which might've changed since last use, if someone made adjustments using another phone/tablet/PC since last login), then does a live query of each device on the current page for its current status.

If your other program skips some or most of those steps and caches device status information, it will be faster but less bulletproof.

Hub app startup is faster if you only add scenes to the Favorites page, since then it won't be asking all your devices for status. If you use the Rooms feature, you can add both scenes and the devices your want to check status for in just the area of the house you want to check or control. That way you won't have to wait for status checks on devices in other parts of the house when you don't need them.
Go to Top of Page

tinkererguy
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  7:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit tinkererguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My older INSTEON Hub turns lights on and off in less than 1/2 second.

I'll know more about the new INSTEON Hub soon, with iOS 8.1.1.
Unboxed it earlier tonight:
http://youtu.be/XZtjySPtzRc

5+ yr. INSTEON owner.
TinkerTry.com founder.
Go to Top of Page

bhaugen
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  08:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I set up a scene on my Hub II for turning on and off the x-mas lights in my living room, using the lamp linc controllers. I am using the Windows Phone 8 app. The scene works, but the timer for the scene would not turn on and off the switches. I set timers on the individual controllers and those are working, but the timer built into the scene would not work.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  11:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are any timers set for the same or nearly the same time? If so, then some or all won't function. Use a single scene for all timers that turn on at or near the same time.

It's OK to have different off times for different devices in the same On scene, if desired. Use one or more separate Off scenes.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

bhaugen
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  2:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Are any timers set for the same or nearly the same time? If so, then some or all won't function. Use a single scene for all timers that turn on at or near the same time.

It's OK to have different off times for different devices in the same On scene, if desired. Use one or more separate Off scenes.

I started out by scheduling the on/off timer in the scene only with 2 controllers. The Scene manual on/off worked, but the timer for the scene did not work. I now have timers set for the separate controllers at different times that works, but when I schedule the scene timer to control both, that does not work.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  8:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's the result if you change the scene to an On time unrelated to the currently scheduled time, say 4 or 5 hours earlier or later?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  11:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, so with the SmartLinc and original Hub discontinued, sounds like there is officially no IP/Ethernet PLM available anymore? I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for HouseLinc.

Maybe I should stock up on refurb Hubs before I have to resort to finding my old serial or USB PLM's :)
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  11:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtempleton

Hmmm, so with the SmartLinc and original Hub discontinued, sounds like there is officially no IP/Ethernet PLM available anymore? I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for HouseLinc.

Maybe I should stock up on refurb Hubs before I have to resort to finding my old serial or USB PLM's :)

HL Software is indeed EOL.

Teken . . .

Teken . . .

Go to Top of Page

thbrewst
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just set mine up this morning. Moving over from Houselinc app. Setup was easy, wish you could've imported previous setup. Very disappointed in available features of the software. Have some dark spots in my house and typically used adjustments from sunrise/sunset, but you can't do that anymore. Also no 'security' setting to slightly randomize on/off times.

Generally setup was indeed straightforward but I don't use super advanced features and the current set isn't even good enough for me. Would like to know from Smarthome when they expect to enhance the feature set otherwise this is probably going back. I had night hopes so I'm very disappointed so far.
Go to Top of Page

ebsims319
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  6:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a problem getting my android app to recognize the new 2245-222 hub. I correctly set the port and dedicated IP in my router. After a hour wait for Insteon tech, I was told they have to delete my original hub (the 2242-222) before I could setup my new one. First of all every single device had to be entered again in the app. It now recognizes all but two of them and allows me to turn them on and off but refuses to let me set up scenes. The screen freezes while trying to add even two devices together. I even deleted my account and setup a new one with a different email and the exact same thing is happening. And I will have to add all the devices in again. The hub wants to communicate with the devices for the scene since it beeps, but then the app locks up. Anyone else have this problem?

GS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page