Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 confused... so many options???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

homeseeker

16 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

what do the following do?
Are my assumptions below accurate?

insteon HUB... Just a device that all insteon devices talk to, allowing for scenes to be setup and individual devices controlled via Ios?

ISY994i Home Automation Controller A hub similar to above but that has the capabilities of writing unique programs and sending notifitications

Dual-Band PLM
Is this what allows you to transfer the programs you write on your PC to the ISY994 HUB?

sorry for the newbie questions, just so many hubs/ISY PC software and Ios software, its hard to decide which is best...

Thanks in advance.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10716 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  1:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would describe the Insteon Hub as a bridge that connects your home Insteon network with Internet-connected cell phones and tablets. It also has a built-in clock that can turn things on and off on schedule, and a cloud service that allows for simple setup, backup, synchronization, and emailed and pushed alerts. It is designed to keep setup and use simple for even a beginner.

The Hub app that runs on your cell phones/tablets is the software that tells the Hub what to do. The app is available for iOS, Android, and Windows devices. You can use it to help create and control scenes, effectively making those mobile devices act like additional remotes for your Insteon devices. (It can also help you manage your Insteon controls, creating and editing controller/responder relationships between your Insteon devices, the same as you can do manually using the Set button built into most devices.)

The ISY+PLM is a much more powerful alternative to the Hub. It doesn't use a cloud service like the Hub, so it takes a bit more time and a computer to set up, but it also does a lot more. It helps build and edit Insteon scenes too, but supports more complex Insteon devices, works as a bridge and a scheduler, adds conditional event processing (so things can operate differently based on time/day/device status, etc.), adds control of non-Insteon http, x10, and ZWave devices, supports integration with local weather reports and the power company, and much, much more. Since it is made by a different company, it uses a Power Line Modem (plm) to communicate with your Insteon devices.

Go to Top of Page

homeseeker

16 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  06:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for information! THE ISY although it doesnt have cloud functionality, can be controled remotely via Ios and sent email alerts, correct?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10716 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  08:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the ISY has a built-in web page you can use to control gear and run programs, or you can get an optional mobile app like MobiLinc. It can also send messages via email to your phone's text message interface.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2361 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  08:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're serious about Home Automation (HA) and this is for the long term. The only HA controller that will continue to grow and offer true value is the ISY Series Controller.

Keep in mind you can purchase the cheapest base model if finances are the *current* sticking point. You may at any point update and upgrade the controller to the more powerful Pro version. UDI the maker also has more than eight software plugins that you may try for 30 days with out question.

If they don't meet your intended needs / wants simply send in a support ticket and they will refund you the money no questions asked.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

insteon0420
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  08:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I need the PLM module if I already own the Insteon Hub?

Recently rebuilt home and electrician installed full Insteon ready system throughout my new home that included the Insteon Hub. I'd like to do more with the system so I am looking at the ISY to replace the Insteon Hub. I know the PLM module is needed to talk to Insteon but was wondering it the PLM is needed since I already own the Insteon Hub. Also I see several flavors of ISY on the SH website...I know enough to get the PRO but what are the other two options for? one is $249 and one is $279???

Also can someone please paste the link here for the mother-of-all dummy guide?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  08:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont believe the hub can be used with the ISY994. You will need a new PLM.

The various models available i**** one with an IR reciever that allows for the ISY to learn IR commands. This allows for those commands to trigger scenes, programs, and events. IR can also be added later if you dont get it but later change your mind.

Another option available is to include a zigbee card. This is mostly used with energy monitors, I understand, that can speak that language.

If not using an energy monitor, I recommend getting a model with the zwave card installed. This allows the use of zwave decices along with insteon. I find this very handy. There are a few zwave decices that do not have insteon counterparts. One cannot get both zwave and zigbee, so you would have to make a choice. Also, zwave can be added later if you are not sure.
Go to Top of Page

insteon0420
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Thanks oberkc!

keep the responses coming...please
Go to Top of Page

insteon0420
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  5:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
smart home has two different ISY994i units....one with ZWAVE and without...

https://www.smarthome.com/universal-devices-isy994i-zw-ir-pro-controller-insteon-z-wave-500-ir-support-plm.html

https://www.smarthome.com/isy994i-ir-pro-controller-insteon-ir-support-with-insteon-dual-band-plm.html

Which one should I get? All I have is Insteon devices and Alexa devices...

What I am looking to do is have my laundry room light stay on after the remote sensor triggers an ON command. That door has a remote door sensor that turns on the light after the door is opened. I need the light to stay on for 5 minutes even after someone closes the door. Will the door sensor still trigger an OFF command after the door is closed?

Edited by - insteon0420 on 12/30/2018 5:19:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  5:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said brefore, my preference is for the zwave version.

Regardong the sensor, I believe it will send open and closed signals based upon the door position. Usimg a program, however, you could cause the light to turn off after five minutes, regardless of whether the door is open or closed.

Be sure to. Heck out the forums at universal devices. Much can be learned about the ISY.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5983 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  03:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned.
The UDI forums and Wiki have a wealth of information.
https://forum.universal-devices.com/
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Edited by - BLH on 12/31/2018 03:18:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

insteon0420
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BLH !!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic