Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 New Table Top Controller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  07:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a new table top enclosure similar to "INSTEON 2335-226 6-Button Scene Control Keypad with Tabletop Enclosure"
However wider and capable of holding two 6 or 8 keypads side by side.

I think the wider size would look better and the extra number of controls would be great. I think this could be an excellent table top controler

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2364 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  08:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please add this suggestion to the *Wish List* in this new Insteon forum: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  10:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  1:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stusviews yes like this but with a nicer cosmetic finished look.

I have several of the old Insteon 2430 ControLinc table top controllers which are now discontinued. I just purchased one of the new table top enclosures for a KeypadLinc and thought a wider two KeypadLinc version would really be nice.

EVIL Teken I already did before I saw your reply. I am a long time Insteon user but new to both forums.

Edited by - Rich_Guy on 11/06/2015 2:02:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  9:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich_Guy

stusviews yes like this but with a nicer cosmetic finished look.

Use a screwless switchplate

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  2:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might make my own with 3 switches instead of 2 using this base and a screwless face plate.

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=smb303&s=5#features

Edited by - Rich_Guy on 11/08/2015 2:38:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6117 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks real nice.
Keep us posted on how it looks when done.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The concern I have is how well a Keypad fits.

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is made to size for a standard 3 gang, switches and cover plate should fit perfectly.

Notice 6 threaded metal holes for switches to screw to and 6 open holes above and below designed for typical cover plate screw clearance. This looks to be designed for a perfect fit, I believe minimum depth clearance at switch location is 1 1/2" and of course width spacing is standard 3 gang wall switch. Should fit very well.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Standard switches are somewhat less deep than are KeypadLincs. My concern involves the bottom of the Keypad. Other than that, I'm ready to place an order

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2364 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  6:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOTE: You can only use the KPL Dimmer as the relay style is too deep. This great product only supports devices less than 1.50" as stated by their spec sheet. The KPL Dimmer is 1.25" per Smart homes advert and the relay is 1.70".

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  7:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is actually made to work for many industrial commercial product applications not just standard light switches, it should be plenty deep at around 1 1/2" minimum at the very bottom corner at the lowest portion where the switch can be and then quickly increasing so there should be room for the SwitchLinc / KeypadLinc and wiring.

Edited by - Rich_Guy on 11/08/2015 7:04:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I await results, not specs. I do have use for 2-4, some black, some white

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  12:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered one tonight, in a week or so I should have the box and a KeypadLinc to do a test fitting. I will take some pictures of the fit to post here.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  4:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I put my new table top controller together today, looks great and everything fit well. There was about a 1/4" clearance at the bottom switch edge on the KeypadLinc with slightly more on the SwitchLincs and overall plenty of clearance for wiring.

I will use this for a bedside nightstand controller. It has 2 SwitchLinc dimmer switches and one 6 button KeypadLinc. One SwitchLinc paddle to control the nightstand table lamp, the other SwitchLinc paddle to control the overhead room light, the KeypadLinc turns OFF every light in the home and turns ON all important lights in the home as well as controls 4 nearby main rooms HALLWAY, BATHROOM, KITCHEN and FRONT ROOM with all buttons labeled.

Here are some pics.

Here is a pic of one KeypadLinc installed. The picture does not show the clearance very well and makes it look closer but the clearance is about 1/4" at the very closest point.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6117 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  5:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks nice.
Thank you for the update and photos.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  6:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BLH, I am very happy with it.

It is replacing a ControLinc table top controller I've had on this night stand for many years.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  8:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I applied for an account hours ago and haven't gotten a response. Do you know if that's normal or if they only respond on weekdays?

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  10:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I applied for an account at Extron last Sunday and had a caller from Extron call and leave me a message the next day on Monday.

I never called Extron back though as I had already found a new Extron SMB 303 box being sold on ebay Sunday night and bought it.

Extron is a huge electronics company their massive main office building is just down the street from my home, Extron's main office is huge 6 stories and contains it's own restaurant and bar and was recently just custom built by Extron which also has at least 3 other large business lots on this street as well as others worldwide.

I don't know what Extron sells the SMB 303 box for, but on ebay it was selling for $79.99 Buy It Now, no bidding option but there was a make offer option, I offered $60.00 and the seller excepted my offer. Not cheap but it's a very nice high quality box. Extron has several other models of boxes as well.

I also live pretty close to Smarthome's main office store and have been there many times buying most of my Insteon there. I'm new here at the forum but I've been using Insteon a long time.

Here are some pics of Extrons SMB 110 series which offers 1,2,3,4 and 5 gang boxes.

Edited by - Rich_Guy on 11/15/2015 10:32:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

swanky-bubbles
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2015 :  09:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about this with a screw-less faceplate?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=667443&gclid=Cj0KEQiAv5-zBRCAzfWGu-2jo70BEiQAj_F8oG-vPt5KK36tBgh6awpbrxgultListVwNzT7URiobscaAmqR8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2015 :  6:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanky-bubbles

What about this with a screw-less faceplate?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=667443&gclid=Cj0KEQiAv5-zBRCAzfWGu-2jo70BEiQAj_F8oG-vPt5KK36tBgh6awpbrxgultListVwNzT7URiobscaAmqR8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=

Yes I was looking at those as well, both the brand you linked to and also Extron has some that are similar in style. There have also been a couple of the similar Extron ones like this selling on ebay that I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

tlitchfo

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  5:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you wire this?

Edited by - tlitchfo on 12/12/2015 5:08:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  5:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tlitchfo

How did you wire this?

Line to black, neutral to white, the red load wire is capped. Using lamp cord, the side with the rib is neutral (wide plade) and the smooth side is line (narrow blade).

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  6:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tlitchfo

How did you wire this?

Here is how to wire Insteon switches to a corded table top box.

One two wire polarized cord to the box. A polarized cord is the kind with one thick blade and one thin blade designed to only plug in one way, this is a must to operate the Insteon switches correctly.

Inside the box.

On the Insteon KeypadLincs/SwitchLincs the red "load" wires each had a wire nut installed on each wire to simply cap them off to prevent shorting. These wires will not be used.

The black "line" wires are all joined to the hot thin bladed wire of the polarized cord with a wire nut.

The white "neutral" wires are all joined to the thick bladed wire of the polarized cord with a wire nut.

The ground wires are not used and simply bundled out of the way since this is using a two wire cord, a three wire cord could be also used then all ground wires could be joined with a wire nut to the cord ground wire.

This follows Insteon instructions for its table top control box enclosure.
http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2402QSG.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Mohog
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  03:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich_Guy

OK I put my new table top controller together today, looks great and everything fit well. There was about a 1/4" clearance at the bottom switch edge on the KeypadLinc with slightly more on the SwitchLincs and overall plenty of clearance for wiring.

I will use this for a bedside nightstand controller. It has 2 SwitchLinc dimmer switches and one 6 button KeypadLinc. One SwitchLinc paddle to control the nightstand table lamp, the other SwitchLinc paddle to control the overhead room light, the KeypadLinc turns OFF every light in the home and turns ON all important lights in the home as well as controls 4 nearby main rooms HALLWAY, BATHROOM, KITCHEN and FRONT ROOM with all buttons labeled.

Here are some pics.

Here is a pic of one KeypadLinc installed. The picture does not show the clearance very well and makes it look closer but the clearance is about 1/4" at the very closest point.

Very nice, makes the old one look pretty crappy lol.

Edited by - Mohog on 02/14/2020 02:12:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  12:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is interested there is one of these nice Extron SMB-303 boxes listed on ebay right now for $25 + $3.45 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-SMB-303-Low-Profile-Surface-Mount-Box-3-Gang-Products-P-N-60-1098-02/191873166824?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D5cce4696e51d4c00bf9e92a564603817%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D191845004673
Go to Top of Page

BerythaBeasley
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  03:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use 3 of these to make table top controllers for Insteon home home automation. They work and look great!

i am BerythaBeasley
Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  5:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the price of the Extron SMB 110?
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Guy

15 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  6:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smokegrub

What is the price of the Extron SMB 110?

I am not sure, they are pretty hard to find for sale actually and they are not usually cheap if you can find them. I think they have an MSRP of around $89 & up and I don't think Extron sells direct to the public.. I have Extron SMB 303 boxes I used for Insteon table controllers the one I purchased in this thread above for $60.00 new on ebay and I later bought 2 more for $50.00 for both also new on ebay.

They really are very nice high quality well made units and look excellent. Remember these are only the back casings, they do not come with the faceplate or cord, just a very nice rear case to build on. It did include the nice rubber grommet in the back where the cord exits.

Here are some more pics of mine made into Insteon controllers

Edited by - Rich_Guy on 05/21/2018 06:49:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  06:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic