Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Software for programming KeypadLincs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MattK
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  5:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I just installed my first few insteon switches and keypads in our new house. I've also installed the Hub Pro.

Programming the buttons on the keypads and associated scenes is tedious.

In previous houses I had a plug-in USB device (I believe it was a PowerLinc Modem) that I used with the HouseLinc software to program the keypads. From browsing the forum here it appears that the HouseLinc software is dying... or maybe it's already dead! I installed it but it can't see the hub pro - it doesn't even have it on the list.

Given that I want a simple way to program the keypads - I don't care about having my computer run schedules and control stuff - what are my options?

I assume one is "buy a powerlinc modem and use the old houselinc software."
Another is "do it manually"

do I have any other options? What software and hardware will I need?

thanks for sharing your expertise.

Matt

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10942 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They discontinued the Windows software a while back, so that's not a good option.

If you can get your hands on a model 2242 or 2245 Hub, the iOS or Android mobile app can set up sophisticated scenes and features on your keypads.
Go to Top of Page

MattK
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  5:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. Can I run one of those hubs and the hub pro as well?

Seems like they should add those capabilities to the hub pro - is there anyway to find out if they have that planned? (not asking you to read minds, just hoping you know more than me!)
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  5:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Hub Pro is an Apple HomeKit enabled device. As such, conformity and compatibility is primarily influenced by HomeKit capability.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.

Edited by - stusviews on 11/23/2015 5:59:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

mwester
Average Member

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  6:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The Hub Pro is an Apple HomeKit enabled device. As such, conformity and compatibility is primarily influenced by HomeKit capability.

Translation: The Hub Pro does what Apple thinks it should do, and ONLY what Apple thinks it should do -- and if you think it should do something else, then you're WRONG! You've heard the advice that "the customer is always right"? Well, at Apple, Apple is always right.

You'll need any of the other hubs, or an ISY controller.

~mwester
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10942 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  9:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the Hub Pro was first announced, they did hint that more features would be forthcoming in time, but I haven't seen any mention of that since.

I know Insteon scene management, support for controller and multi-node devices, conditional actions, Siri schedules, and an API are certainly all on my personal wish list.

Right now, using the ISY alongside a Hub Pro is possible but very messy. You can use a 2442 or 2445 Hub alongside a Hub Pro without causing trouble.
Go to Top of Page

MattK
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  05:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks all - 2445 looks like the best solution. Got one on order. Appreciate the guidance.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1235 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  5:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's always Powerhome
Go to Top of Page

MattK
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  07:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have gone to the wrong website because that page looks like it's from 1999. Does Powerhome require DOS 6.22?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

341 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you don't control the devices from the hub, you will be ok with the hubpro. Any control from the hub app or connected devices will not register with Apples servers so when you go to use Siri or the APP, it will not update with the status of the device.

Apple only sends a command based off the status registered in it's servers. If a device is showing off in the app, Apple will not turn it off if it is really on. You will have to tell Siri to turn it on first then off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page