Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Hub trigger an email from a sensor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paragon
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  05:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a hub. Thermostat installation and different products was done quite easily. As refrigeration system engineer, I'm used to developed elaborate control sequences. So I thought it might be fun and practical to automate some things at home. I had fun testing the product.

Very quickly I realized that I was limited in the control methods. For example:

Able to turn on a light with a sensor only if the scene is running. If another scene named Away is on, send me an email if the sensor is activated. But if the scene named Away is not enabled do not send me email if sensor is not on.

Anyone know if this is possible? If so, how?

mwester
Average Member

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll need a more sophisticated controller - the Insteon hubs are all relatively simplistic devices, intended for a different audience. Take a look at UDI's ISY controller.

~mwester
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  10:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use a battery eliminator to power the Motion Sensor. Plug the eliminator into an On/Off Module or Insteon outlet. Do not use a dimmer. Use the Away scene to control power to the outlet or module.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10942 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2245 Insteon Hub is a quick solution for setting up Insteon devices, scenes, timers and remote control from your mobile devices, but it does not offer variables (like 'home' or 'away') nor any kind if condition processing (do this only if...). Hub Alerts go out any time the controller is triggered, regardless of any other conditions in the house. Stu's solution is a clever work-around, but it can become pricey--it requires another Insteon module and a battery eliminator for each sensor.

The ISY doesn't need any workarounds because conditional event processing is a core feature. It also gives much greater support to thermostats (you can add thermostat settings to scenes, use any number of conditions to trigger changes in thermostat settings, and, with an additional iOS or Android mobile app, trigger setbacks based on geolocation). If you are already thinking about having the house operate 'automatically' instead of just 'remotely', it would pay to start investigating what an ISY can do for you.
Go to Top of Page

Paragon
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  1:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your quick replys. Is that all components, such as Insteon cameras can be integrated in ISY. In fact, what I want to know is, can I begin my installation and control it from my Insteon hub and subsequently buy an ISY hub to replace it without worrying about compatibility issues.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10942 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  3:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can set things up with the Hub then migrate to an ISY later. I prefer to build scenes anew using the ISY, but it also allows importing scenes that you've tap-linked or built with another app/interface like the Hub.

The ISY lets you display wifi cameras on its built-in html interface, which you can use from a mobile or PC browser. Other mobile apps offer more features.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page