Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 KPL Custom Buttons and 3D Printers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wayneph
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a random thought, but wanted to ask and see if any one else had thought about or tried this before spending too much time on it.

My public library recently got a 3D printer, so I now have access to print things with a cost solely based on weight. (And the KPL buttons are pretty light.) That being said, I've never seen the 3D printer material, so I don't know if it would stand up to key presses, or work for letting light through to determine status. Depending on if/how it works, I'd have some new color options at my disposal to play with as well.

Once concern I have is how I would print the text on them. I don't know if I can specify two colors at print time to have them "mixed", or if I would have to come up with something else. I'm asking them the dual color question as well.

Anyhow, before I think about it too much was curious if anyone had other thoughts.

Thanks,
Wayne

--
wayne

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  11:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Wayne,

Are you intending to make custom KPL square keys? If so good luck because that is a tall order to take on never mind finding a way to etch the words that will match the OEM color keys.

Initially I thought you were going to try to make a four button frame kit. Doing so would avoid the middle black shadow that others have present by using the standard six button frame kit.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

wayneph
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I was talking about attempting to create the little individual keys. I wasn't too worried about matching the OEM color because of the prices worked, I would just go ahead and print a full set so that all of the buttons matched. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the little inconsistencies.

One thought had been to try and print the whole KPL as a single sheet, but I'm guessing that would take even more effort to try and get the spacing right. I'd also have to worry about what happens if I press 'C' with it connected to 'A', 'D' and 'E' on the sides. Really don't think it would work, but it could have simplified it a bit of a lot of keys wouldn't be changing regularly.

--
wayne
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2372 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I really wish you the very best in this project and (IF) you decide to pursue the actual making of a native 4 button frame kit hit me up!

This is something I have been hoping to see somebody try to make on a reasonable budget say sub $5-12.XX range.The problem is unless the 3D printer has a scanner its near impossible to get the frame details.

I've asked a few injection molding places to quote me for such a project but the set up fee was just too huge to take on with out some kind of group buy purchase or KS project.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 01/22/2016 12:17:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

cottngton
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2020 :  08:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Wyneph, I am very interested how you figured everything out that time, because now there are a lot of hardwares which solves all the problems by itself and we don't need to think more about small things. My dad was creating custom parts for different cars in the town. He was the most modern mechanic that time and everybody wanted to be served there. So, he had a 3D printer and he was making all the parts in one color. Then, he was doing the print with a laserjet high quality cartridge from Brother and beautiful.

Edited by - cottngton on 10/05/2020 10:20:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page