Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Remote Controlled Bathroom Exhaust Fan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shell
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We want to install a bathroom fan in our ensuite (which doesn't have one because older housing code did not have that requirement if you have a window). We're really limited for space because of attic/roof design + skylight. The only place we can fairly easily install is in the wall of the skylight area. We can get power to it but obviously putting an on/off switch in the wall adjacent to light switch is more of challenge. So! We thought why not a remotely controlled exhaust fan - hopefully one we can turn on either with a fob or with a smartphone. And no, cannot use humidity controlled fan because this is in the wall of a skylight and not flat on a ceiling. Anyone have any ideas on how this could be done? TIA

Shelley

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  2:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An Insteon Micro Module and Mini Remote will work.

Add a Hub for smartphone control and you have a beginning to whole house automation.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Shell
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is - there is no plug. The fan is hardwired in as a normal bathroom exhaust fan. And typically these have a on/off switch located next to your light switch (near the bathroom door) Quite frankly that would not look great no matter where you located the exhaust fan (ceiling or side wall of skylight installation)if you had to plug it in :-/ :-)

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about it being a exhaust fan - ie the box with the fan is located in the attic and the grill is what you see on the ceiling of the bathroom. In our case we have these walls that extend up to the roof for the skylight and we can access the attic side of that wall to install the fan (using existing rafters to support the fan) cutting a hole equal to the outline of the fan box on the drywall and installing the grill on the ensuite wall side. The fan is then vented via flexible tubing to the outside to remove humidity.

The challenge is how to hook up some type of remote receiver so that we can use a fob or add modules to utilize smarthouse smartphone technology to put the fan on and ideally set a timer - ie 30 minutes to exhaust humidity from the ensuite.

We would like to do the whole house automation and have in the past with the X10 system. Our biggest challenge right now - how to put this damn exhaust fan in without having to tear out drywall and put in a three gang box to accommodate the on/off switch besides fishing wire from the fan down to said gangbox. (ugh!)

haven't found anything online yet

thanks!

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  5:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Micro Module is not a plug-in device. It's installed in the fixture box, in this case the same box that the fan gets its power from and is wired to the fan itself.

Go to Top of Page

Shell
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  6:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crap, sorry - I clicked the link and it appeared to me to be an outlet based one. Let me go back and check that again (smack forehead)

apologies

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

Shell
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  6:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, I picked up on the wall switch thing :-) Ok, will look into this some more and hopefully it can be installed in the fan box - that would be amazing. Looks like it will work - and yes that would be the start for the home automation kit which we'd love to do anyway.

many thanks!

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  6:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's also a wall bracket as well as a single Mini Remote.

The wall bracket should be placed on a blank wall, not over a switch box

Go to Top of Page

Shell
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  10:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like that will be perfect! And I have a blank wall on the other side of the door. Thanks so much! I have one happy husband who really didn't want to start cutting up a wall that we had already drywalled and painted. (We didn't think we'd be putting in a fan because of the lack of ceiling space and then one day looked up and went 'why not the wall of the skylight area? So last minute, of course!) Again, thanks for your help :-)

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

Michaela
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  11:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Do you know if this module and remote will work with a ceiling mount bathroom fan that has the fan, light and a heater? Will it be able to operate all three from the remote?
Thank you,
Michaela

Michaela
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page