Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Repair of Insteon dimmer keypad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greg.Ca
Average Member

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a power fail and power being restored, one of my keypads went dead and I cannot get it to work at all. With keypads being $80.00, and the big hassle of redoing all of my links, is there anything I can do to repair it? It wont light up at all. Is house link still the best bet when replacing the device one for one of the same type?

--Greg--

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try pulling out the set button. Wait 10 or more seconds and push it back in until it clicks in place. Do not push it all the way in.

It's easier to pull out the set button using a pocket screwdriver after the switch plate is removed.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2361 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  3:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've repaired a number of older KPL's over the years and lucky for me its been the capacitors. If its something other than the capacitors like a SMD component you are SOL for the average none board certified personal. Other common failures are the crystal and the components that make up the PSU.

I have detailed steps with lots of close up photo's if you need them just fire off a PM.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5995 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  03:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dried out capacitors and bad zener diodes are always high on my suspect list.
Go to Top of Page

AD8BC

322 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  12:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teken, I've never bothered to open up any of my bad ones but maybe I should. Is there a specific cap that goes bad? Is it an obvious failure like a bulging electrolytic?

quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

I've repaired a number of older KPL's over the years and lucky for me its been the capacitors. If its something other than the capacitors like a SMD component you are SOL for the average none board certified personal. Other common failures are the crystal and the components that make up the PSU.

I have detailed steps with lots of close up photo's if you need them just fire off a PM.

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the switches that failed with a capacitor failure had dielectric leakage. Whereas others showed no visible signs like bulging or cracking.

My SOP has been to just replace every capacitor in the device and see if the hardware comes back up. When the capacitor doesn't fix it right away I move on to measuring the SMD resistors. Because they are in circuit you need to have a good one for reference to know if any of them are out of tolerances.

Sometimes its diodes, transistor, or crystal . . .

I've been lucky in the past as I scooped up some dead units at a garage sale for free and pulled out the diodes, transistors, and crystals for the repairs.

I never reuse any of the existing capacitors from any Insteon hardware as they have proven to be low tolerances and cheap. I only use high quality name brand low ESR, high temp, with 50,000 hours or above rated capacitors though.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

smbenson
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  11:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 switches, 3 keypads, 1 lamplinc, and a PLM that have all failed. I replaced the caps on the PLM using info found on the net and it worked perfectly. Now I am looking at doing the same for the keypad/switches, but mine seem to be older or different than most pictures I have seen on these sites. I am planning on trying to change the caps which are all the same (470uf/35V & 100uf/16V), but my 2 switches have crystals that look like they are also bad (dielectric stains). The only markings on the crystal is 221AF 7? (of course the markings are covered with dielectric). Can't find any ref on the web, but was wondering if anyone here has found a suitable replacement for this type of crystal.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5995 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  1:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure they didn't slobber a big glob of component glue on them.
I have a few crystals with giant globs holding them in. As the glue dries out and gets old. It turns an ugly brownish color.

Edited by - BLH on 01/19/2018 2:28:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

shdwlynx

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This conversation is an oldie but a goodie. I say that because Greg is still correct after almost 3 years - replacing keypads is expensive!

In my case, the failed keypad in question works for several hours at a time and then suddenly acts as if its power was disconnected, going completely dark and unresponsive. Pulling the set button out for a few seconds and putting it back in restores the power and the keypad works fine again... for about half a day.

I will be taking it apart to see if anything is obvious and then replacing the caps, but any suggestions on what specifically might be causing this particular behavior?

- John
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5995 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  10:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the Dual Band ones had a small switching power supply in them.
Working for awhile then stopping, cycling the power starts it working again. Sounds like capacitors that have degraded. When you open it. Look for bulging cans, the rubber plugs on the bottom starting to expand. That sometimes shows but I have seen some in the 2413S PLM just loose their capacity with no indications.
I would use capacitors rated for switching power supply use when replacing.

Edited by - BLH on 01/23/2019 10:17:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

shdwlynx

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  1:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, BLH! I'll check the power supply caps first. That will save me some time vs. swapping all caps. This is an older refurb unit, so I wonder if Insteon already replaced these once.

I'll report back on if it works or not, for those who might be interested.

- John
Go to Top of Page

shdwlynx

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insanely, a couple of days after my last post, the dimmer switch never lost power again. I did nothing physical, although perhaps I modified some scenes that were making it angry?

- John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page