Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 How to set Insteon thermostat as controller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andersh67
Average Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I set the Insteon thermostat to control any other device? In my case I do not have central A/C but we have a through-the-wall A/C with a wall plug (110V). I use an ON/OFF plugin to turn the A/C on when the house gets too hot in the afternoon to keep the living room cool for our pets when we are not at home.
I'd like to be able to set the Insteon thermostat to turn on the A/C to make it more "worry-free", but have not been able to figure out the programming on the thermostat yet.
How should I have the thermostat set in order to control the wall A/C? Let's say I'd like the wall A/C to turn on when the temp gets to 79. Note that I have not connected any cooling to the thermostat since we do not have central A/C. Will this still work to set in some kind of Cooling mode programming?

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  10:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are you using to control Insteon devices? A Hub (which), a different app (which), software (which), an ISY, something else?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

andersh67
Average Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  11:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

What are you using to control Insteon devices? A Hub (which), a different app (which), software (which), an ISY, something else?

I use the Insteon Hub. Not sure which one.
In the connect info page I see Device Unit Type HUB1 and the serial number is 25F04A.
Is this the first Hub?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  10:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use an On/Off module to control the AC, Create a scene with the cool mode of the thermostat as a controller and the On/Off module as a responder.

Go to Top of Page

williamjames
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  9:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit williamjames's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swap out your thermostat, connect Insteon Hub to your router, download Insteon for Hub App. Within minutes, you can control the thermostat from your iOS, Android or Windows device, anywhere in the world.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  9:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamjames

Swap out your thermostat

The OP has an Insteon thermostat. Which thermostat are you suggesting that the OP swap to?

Edited by - stusviews on 09/02/2016 9:27:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

kurtr
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  2:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to do something similar, actually simpler, and I can't get answer from Insteon for what I think is a simple question.

I have 120v electric baseboard heat. It was connected to a 110v thermostat which simply takes 110v hot in, and provides a 110v switched output to baseboard, the ground line is common. There are none of the other wires that a low voltage (24v) thermostat has (O/B, AUX, G, Y1, T2).

I swapped out the 110v thermostat for an Insteon 2477SA2 220v 30A Load Controller; now I can turn the baseboard on and off from the Insteon app on my phone.

But that's an on/off switch. I want a thermostat.

I should be able to add an Insteon 2441TH thermostat as a controller to control the 2477SA2 as a responder thru the Insteon Hub.

So my first question is: the 2441TH should only need 24v power and ground, none of the other usual thermostat connections would be needed, right?

And my second question is: seems like for this application, Insteon should sell a simple 24v power supply, but they don't. Has anyone run into this before and found a good solution?

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  5:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aube has a relay for baseboard heating that can be controlled by any standard thermostat including the Insteon wired thermostat or even a WiFi thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

cottngton
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh man, that is exactly why I am starting to get tired of all these smart things in my home. I mean, sometimes, they are not easy at all to get set up. They are all dependent on each other and on the internet connection, so in case something is wrong, all of the others would not be working properly. They might be getting some terrible lags, that is what I really hate. That is why I decided to at least get an ordinary a/c.

Edited by - cottngton on 12/10/2020 06:05:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Delcid1
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  9:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still searching for some proper solution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page