Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Water leak detect
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm following the link here (http://www.smarthome.com/sc-water-heater-shut-off) for water leak detection. I purchased the following:

1) http://www.smarthome.com/i-o-linc-insteon-2450-low-voltage-contact-closure-interface-1-in-1-out.html
2) Leak sensor (http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2852-222-water-leak-sensor.html)
3) http://www.smarthome.com/onsite-pro-fs3-4npt-water-heater-shutoff-3-4-inch-valve.html

However, I'm having a hard time to make it work. I pair the IO Linc with Leak Sensor in a scene but I'm unsure how to wire the water heater shutoff valve to the IO Linc. Can you please give me some guide?

Thanks,

Stan

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  12:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Connect the contact wire on the valve to the sense terminals on the I/O Linc.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  1:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I connected them to GND/Sensor but it doesn't do anything. Which sensor terminal should it be connected to? .

Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  3:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Open and close the sensor. The green sensor LED should light in one of those positions.

Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  3:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be just some dumb thing I did on my side but let me make sure I understand and get the setup correctly. I create a scene with IO Linc and Insteon Leak Sensor.

The OnSite water heater shutoff valve has its own leak sensor and is supposed to connect to the 6-pin connector (which only has 4 wires - 2 goes to motorized brass valve while the other two wires go to the leak sensor). With the latter two wires, I connected to:

1) GND/Sensor on IO Linc: Sense light on IO Linc is on but when the Insteon leak sensor is wetted (and it does show it's wetted in Insteon App), it doesn't close the motorized brass valve

2) NC/NO on IO Linc: Sense light is not ON and it does nothing.

I flip the wire back and forth but it still doesn't work. What do I do wrong here?

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  3:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I read you correctly.
You connected the I/OLInc Sensor Input to the OnSite controller?
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I assumed that's what I have to do after reading Studview's reply "Connect the contact wire on the valve to the sense terminals on the I/O Linc"?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  3:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to the instructions you linked to, "The Floodstop Control Unit has two additional outputs for integration into alarm and home automation systems. The two-terminal (normally closed) outputs have leads included in the kit for easy integration."

Did you find those outputs/leads?

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  06:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Flood Stop Control Unit uses its own water sensor to open and close the valve. It also has the alarm output as Stu pointed out.
The alarm output is the one connected to the IO Linc Sensor and Ground input.

Edited by - BLH on 08/29/2016 06:37:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I was confused since Insteon support asked me to get another Insteon Leak Sensor for this kind of setup, but it doesn't look like I need to. So to follow instruction from stusviews, I'm able to get notification when it detects a leak now.
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  8:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm facing another problem. When moving the IO Linc out to the garage, I couldn't add it to the hub anymore. In fact, I think the only working outlets are the ones in the same room with my hub. What do I need to buy in addition to make it work?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  8:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you use as a cure depends on the cause.

For a start, unplug everything in the garage, even the GDO. If something can't be unplugged, then it need to be turned off.

Then, use a long extension cord to power the Hub from the garage.

Can you add the I/O Linc to the Hub?

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  03:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you got the setup working.
Since the I/O Linc is power line only. You may have a issue to the garage.
Is the HUB on the same circuit as the computing equipment? Frequently that can be one cause of problems.
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No but I tried all outlets in the garage and none of them works. The weird thing is I have two 2-wires dimmers out there and they are communicated just fine

Stusviews: I have to find a really long extension :). Got to go top store

Do you guys think the filter will help?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  09:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two wire dimmers working is a clue.
The IO Linc is strictly Insteon Power Line signals.
The two wire dimmers are Insteon RF only signals.
Possible the Insteon RF is getting to the garage but the Insteon power line signals are not.

Do you possibly have a dual band module like a On/Off adapter or Lamplinc?
If you do. You may want to plug it into the garage outlets and see if things change.

A filter may help if there is a device absorbing the Insteon power line signals and you can find it.

Adding a Dual Band module or a Range Extender to a garage outlet may also work. If the signal is not getting through to the garage on the power line.

Edited by - BLH on 08/30/2016 09:44:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  10:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to ask.
Do you have more Insteon Dual Band devices around the home. To provide better coverage and get the Insteon commands on the other half of the incoming power lines?
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think dual band works in my house since none of the outlet has the ground wire
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  10:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A ground is not needed for Insteon to work.
Is the problem you have two prong outlets with no ground pins and can't plug modules in?
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  10:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I replaced all my outlets with 3 prongs. I tried dual band dimmer switch before but it doesn't work so I got to get the 2-wires model. Unfortunately I don't have any LampLinc
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  12:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try the long extension cord Stu pointed out. Let us know the results.

You may need a few plug in or Insteon Modules to pass the Insteon messages around and get the Insteon commands on the other incoming power line. If all you have now is the two wire dimmers due to no Neutral in the switch boxes.
The 2992-222 Range Extenders would work. Though some may get LampLincs or On/Off modules that also can control a load it they want to.

Go to Top of Page

williamjames
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  9:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit williamjames's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be better to call a water heating repairs rather then to make changes of your own. Because they had already gone through these type of problems and knows how to repair them.
Go to Top of Page

LangTuSJ

18 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  1:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought to update everyone - I ended up not using IO Linc. Too much hassle to make this work. I now just installed the shutoff valve by itself, in addition to Insteon Leak Sensor. If disaster does occur, I still get notification from the Insteon Leak Sensor while crossing my finger that the Onsite Shutoff Valve will do its job. Thanks BLH and stusviews
Go to Top of Page

andrewjp
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2021 :  07:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the reasons why your water heater is leaking could be a damaged drain valve, and a faulty temperature and pressure relief (T&P) valve. It's best to call a licensed plumber to check your appliance
Go to Top of Page

kkusu5591
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  04:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I connected them to GND/Sensor but it doesn't do anything. Which sensor terminal should it be connected to?

Edited by - kkusu5591 on 01/05/2022 03:41:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  3:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kkusu5591

I connected them to GND/Sensor but it doesn't do anything. Which sensor terminal should it be connected to?

What sensor are you using and what kind of output does it have?
Are you using a 2450 I/OLinc connected to the sensors?
The Sensor input on that module is made for a dry closure not any voltage applied to it. As it has its own sensor voltage internally generated.
If your sensor has a open collector transistor other semiconductor output. It maybe polarity sensitive. Try the sensors output to module. On the GND and Sensor input reversed from what you tried.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6370 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2022 :  1:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ground and sensor are the input.
What sensor are you using? Like model number.
So we can give you the needed connections.

Edited by - BLH on 01/05/2022 1:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2021 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page