Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 X10 and LED Christmas Lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

N3465S
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used X10 devices for years but switched mostly to Insteon several years ago. I still use X10 Lamp Modules to control certain items during the holidays. I have a cluster of three snowflakes with LED lamps over the door. They work fine until I send the OFF command. Upon receiving the OFF command the LEDs go "mostly OFF" but continue to flicker very dimly. While dim, they still go through their entire programmed routine. It's almost like there is a little voltage leaking into the Lamp Module from the AC outlet. I have tried 3 other basic X10 Lamp Modules with the same results. Identical X10 Lamp Modules control other strands of LED lights in the next room and work flawlessly. Any thoughts?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10883 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  09:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See http://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18504
Go to Top of Page

N3465S
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  10:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if I understand the other discussion correctly, you are saying that it doesn't matter if I am NOT using an Insteon Lamp Module in this case, but instead using an X10 Lamp Module for simple on and off? The X10 lamp module is looking for more of a load just as the Insteon module does?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X10 Lamp Modules have a Local Control Sensing circuit. It is known to keep LED loads glowing when Off. Though the exact LED set may or may not work, depending on its design. So some of them may work OK and others may glow.

Insteon Lamp Modules also have a Local Control Sensing Circuit. So they also can keep small loads like LED's glowing. Depends on the exact design of the LED's in question.

The small incandescent load mentioned in some other threads. Are known to correct glowing on both X10 and Insteon Modules.
Go to Top of Page

N3465S
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much to both of the responders. I now understand what I've been battling and it makes sense. I appreciate your quick replies. (I went to the hardware store after lunch and purchased a $4 24-hour lamp timer. Problem solved!) ;o)
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6274 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  03:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes simpler is so much better.
Go to Top of Page

barmaley
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2020 :  01:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know it's normal for led lights to have a weak dimmer while of. Some of them have this thing others don't. The leds at my entrance had the same behaviour, I was worried that that could cause them burning down sooner but I found out later that led light almost never break. I guess it's fine until this glowing annoys you.

Edited by - barmaley on 09/10/2020 12:53:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page