Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Issue with Echo and Insteon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  7:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Insteon Hub, several Insteon devices, an Echo and an Echo Dot. My devices have been working flawlessly for months. This past weekend I encountered an issue. Sometime on Saturday my Echo device no longer worked. When I ask Alexa to "Turn of Kitchen Lights" I get a response back from Alexa saying "The device Kitchen Lights is not responding. Please check its network connection and power supply."

I can control my devices from the Insteon app on my phone and on my computer. I tried the phone app while connected to only 4G as well and everything works.

It doesn't work for either the Echo or the Echo Dot. I rebooted the echo's, the router, the Insteon hub. No dice.

I disabled the Insteon skill in the echos, forgot the devices, reenabled the skill, rediscovered the devices, no change.

Any ideas? I contacted Amazon and they are looking into things on their end, but they didn't see a system wide outage so that suggests that it's just me.

McP

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10596 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  8:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same trouble here. I opened a ticket with Amazon and Insteon both.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10596 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  12:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McP, I'm told this isn't happening to everybody, so I'm looking for what might be different about the Hub setup at my house.

Do you have any punctuation or special characters in your Hub account username? Which platform apps are you using?

Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  09:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not have any special characters in my hub account user name other than an @ sign and . as my username is my email address.

I've got a 2245-555 hub.

I use the Insteon app for windows 10 as well as for android.

I have a PowerLinc USB Modem as well that I still use the old HouseLinc software with (still have some X10 hanging around).

McP
Go to Top of Page

dtice
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  10:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the exact same problem. My system was working flawlessly for over a year and starting on 12/11/16 I'm continually getting "XXX device is not responding. Please check it's network connection and power supply". I have done the following with no luck:
1. Reset Insteon Hub
2. Forgot all devices in Alexa app and re-discovered.
3. Reset router and switches associated with hub.

I have 2 hubs an Insteon and ISY 994. Everything works as normal other than the Echo voice commands. For the time being I'm using the ISY skill which still works. I really like using the Insteon app with the hub better than the ISY.
Go to Top of Page

Troyus

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have this issue. Of course, I had just rearranged my network on 12/11 so I figured it was something I did. Something's up...
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10596 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Echo seems to be working again here. How about you?

Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  5:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had had a case escalated to someone in Amazon on Sunday night. They called me back last night at 11:48PM. Needless to say I didn't answer the phone as I was sleeping. Hopefully they call back tonight (at a reasonable time) and have something to share.
Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  5:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Echo seems to be working again here. How about you?

Excellent. I just tried and still doesn't work. I'll try again in a bit. Is your Echo still at "device software version" 4172?

Edited by - mcpell on 12/13/2016 5:21:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

dtice
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried here again and no dice. Hopefully this gets sorted out. I'm still at 4172. I have about 24 devices registered with Alexa. If mine starts working I'll post the info.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10596 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Affirmative, Echo is at 4172. It might be worth unplugging power from Hub for a minute, just to give it a chance to reregister your dynamic IP address with the Insteon cloud service.

Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  06:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can access my hub through connect.insteon.com and via the Insteon app from my phone at work so that would suggest that the IP is good and registered with the Insteon cloud service, but worth a shot.

As an aside, the escalation resource I spoke to at Amazon that called me at 11:48PM on Monday called back at a much more reasonable time last night. She apologized for calling late, but did not have an update on the ticket - it was still pending with the developers. I shared this forum with her as it seemed like there might be more than just me having the problem.

I asked about the Echo version because I saw a post that some folks in the UK had gotten 4540 recently and so I was curious if maybe you started working again because you had gotten the update, but alas that doesn't seem to be the case.

I appreciate your assistance.
Go to Top of Page

dtice
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  07:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried again this AM but no luck. I have already reset the hub and as mcpell said I can access the hub remotely.
Go to Top of Page

Troyus

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  6:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is work now. I didn't change anything it just started working.
Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  6:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:( Just tried mine and still doesn't work. Hopefully whatever gremlin may be correcting itself makes its way out of my system soon!
Go to Top of Page

dtice
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  4:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hurray! Mine is now working. Hopefully they have fixed whatever issue was causing this. Thanks to all who took the time and effort to report it.
Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woohoo! Mine works now too! Thanks to others who reported the same issue on this thread. I'm sure the fact that there were others with this issue helped them look at it differently than just a one-off problem with an end user.
Go to Top of Page

Drosenth
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  08:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh - same problem for me today. Has been working perfect with my echos. Same issue - "device not responding". Works from the insteon app via internet - just not via echo. I will give it time to resolve itself as I have everything except factory reset. Even tried to force the insteon firmware download and this fails.

Thoughts? Thx
DaveR
Go to Top of Page

Drosenth
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  08:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well - not 5 mins later - working. Lol! Hasn't been working for a couple hours and I finally found this forum. Probably a backend issue.

Magically working - I will take it. If there is a site to monitor insteon/Alexa servers and availability let me know. I'd rather check the source then spin folks up.

Thx,
DaveR
Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  08:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, mines a bit intermittent right now... There must be some issue. If I try to turn a single device on/off I get the device not responding issue. However once every few times it will turn on or off, even though it said it wasn't responding. If I try to turn a group on I get a "that command doesn't work on that device, but a couple of the lights in the group go on or go off.
Go to Top of Page

Drosenth
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2016 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine was very intermittent, but it resolved itself. Tells me at something on the backend as I did a lot of troubleshooting here. I sure hope this stuff works well as it is awesome when it does. Pretty good product overall.

DaveR
Go to Top of Page

mcpell
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2016 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My issues were intermittent as well. It started working reliably again about 10 minutes after I posted yesterday and I didn't have any issues the rest of the day.
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  03:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím having this same problem. The combination of Alexa and Insteon worked flawlessly for many months. Now I intermittently get this message. Resetting the hub does not solve the problem. The insteon app works every time even when The alexa connection fails. Eventually if I do nothing it will start working again. This is very frustrating.

Best Regards,
Miller Hogan
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  12:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The difficulty is Amazon's Alexa app. I have several ways to access voice control and each has an occasional lapse. There's no consistency in which command goes unrecognized.

Just when I think everything is working OK, another blunder.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

237 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  10:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a member of a few forums and other systems have the same issues as insteon.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10596 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím told that Amazon has identified a problem that is affecting multiple Smart Home skills/partners. Duplicate instances of some devices appear in the Alexa app, and Alexa will sometimes suddenly stop being able to control devices that previously worked normally.

This is said to be a high priority issue for Amazon, and they are trying to push out a partial fix for device control by the end of the week, with another fix for duplicate device discovery to follow a little later.

Go to Top of Page

jimspy

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  10:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Send jimspy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does this problem affect those of us who do NOT use a hub, but instead use software such as HomeSeer over a PLM? Cuz I am having a problem myself. The Alexa app shows and controls all my devices, but my Echoes do not, I get the message "You do not have such-and-such device configured."

==JJS==
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  11:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As has been stated, it's an Amazon problem, not how you access the app.

Edit: just received word that the Amazon problem has been fixed.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.

Edited by - stusviews on 11/27/2017 11:19:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJC6XTC
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  2:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that if I ask Alexa to "discover Insteon devices" even if she doesn't discover any new devices the process somehow fixes the issue.

Robert

Robert
Go to Top of Page

ddmacpp
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using insteon and alexa for some time. Working almost perfectly but recently last serveral weeks as above. Researching for devices in alexa app corrects always. As of tonight however the problem has NOT been fixed. Frustrating as I use all the time and happens at any moment but usually after 1-2 days. PROBLEM NOT FIXED.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

237 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  9:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been posted on different forums already about Amazon having issues with communicating with smarthome devices. They are working on a fix to get everything sorted out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page