Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Remotelinc Will Not Unlink from Morninglinc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  4:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old grey Remotelinc that is working great. I want to reprogram one button to operate a remote light switch. That button currently operates the Morninglinc on my door. I successfully added the remote light switch but have been unsuccessful in deleting the Morninglinc. I can delete other things from the Remotelinc just not the Morninglinc.

I hold the button on the Remotelinc for 10 seconds then release it. I hold it again for 10 seconds and release it. I then hit the set button on the Morninglinc and hold until I hear the beep but every thing is still linked.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Vince

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  4:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hold both the DIM and BRIGHT buttons on the RemoteLinc until the LED starts blinking and the RemoteLinc beeps.

Hold the button on the RemoteLinc that's linked to the MorningLinc until the RemoteLinc beeps.

while the LED on the RemoteLinc is still blinking, hold the set button on the MorningLincs until it double-beeps.

If that doesn't work, then move the RemoteLinc 30 or more feet from the MorningLinc, but within range of a dual-band device and try again.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  06:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stu, I'll give that a try and report back.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  06:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have quit using the morninglinc a while back, but always found that thing a little stubborn. For some reason, I percieved the position and location of the module relative to the lock, or to other insteon devices, to be more critical than most. Often, I would simply have to keep trying the same things multiple times to get it to work. Once linked, though, it seemed pretty reliable.
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  2:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stu but I had no luck with either method. Holding down the DIM and BRIGHT got me the first beep but the when I hit the Remotelinc button, it beeped immediately and I did not get double beeps on the Morninglinc, just one beep. Thanks for trying.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  2:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To oberkc - I can get it to link and unlink to the new remote switch. I just can't get it to unlink from the Morninglinc. I guess it could be a Morninglinc problem.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point, the only thing I can offer is to review the instructions and compare them to the steps I see posted here.

It seems to me that you have the remotelinc side of things consistent with the manual: press-and-hold the ON button of the controller (remotelinc, in this case) until it beeps (about ten seconds) then press-and-hold again until it beeps. This is what you did, correct?

ON the morninglinc side of things, you said you hit the set button on the morninglinc and held until it beeped. As I read the instructions, one needs to hold the set button only for about 3 seconds, then release. At that point the morninglinc LED should flash and remotelinc should beep and quit flashing. The instructions sounds different to me than what you said you did.

Maybe I missed something.
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  7:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  12:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought I had for a minute. I did the unlink thing as oberkc suggested and the Remotelinc seemed to be unlinked from the Morninglinc..........that is until I programed the remote light switch. When I did that, the Remotelinc was controlling both the light and door. It seemed the Remotelinc re-established the connection with the Morninglink. I suppose I could try a factory reset on the Morninglinc and see what happens.

I think I will just use my Remotelinc II for my new light switch. Thanks all.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  2:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, if this were mine, I would be doing a factory reset, but I am not sure how that affects the remotelinc (might there be a residual link there?) Would it be a big deal if you had to also restore the remotelinc? How many other devices are involved?
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  5:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm using the Morninglinc with an ISY994i that has a few scenes set-up. The Remotelinc would be no problem to restore. But at this point I installed my new ceiling light with the remote switch and have it working with a Remotelinc II satisfactorily. I don't want to mess with that any time soon. But on the other hand, I hate getting defeated by the technology. This will have to wait for later. Thanks again for your help.

Vince

Edited by - vince mastrosimone on 01/09/2017 5:46:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  7:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have an ISY??!!

Did you not set up the scenes between the morninglinc and remotelinc via ISY? If so, can you not simply remove the devices via the ISY?
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  6:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Morninglinc does not show up as being a responder to any device. The remotelinc buttons show up on the Administrative console and show controller/responder information for all five of the other buttons. The button in question shows no controller/responder information.

The Morninglinc is visible, but again does not show that it is a responder to any device. That is strange too because it is linked to a 2334 keypad dimmer (which works fine).

Vince
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  8:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you create the link manually?

Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  07:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, manually. As opposed to via the ISY?

Vince
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  11:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's why the ISY doesn't know about any links. Add the device to the ISY and keep existing links to see them or remove existing links to get rid of them. Do the same with any device(s) linked to the Morninglinc.

Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is not clear, I understaand it good practice glbally to use isy to create the links and scenes, not just with morninglics and remotelincs. I suspect you will be happier with your system in the long term to do so with all your devices, if not so already.
Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried adding the Remotelinc to the ISY devices by clicking "Link Management"; "Link a Remotelinc" and then typing in the device number with no luck. How do I make the ISY find the Remotelinc? I did not see anything in the Remotelinc manual on this.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hold both the DIM and BRIGHT buttons on the RemoteLinc until the LED starts blinking and the RemoteLinc beeps.

Then add the RemoteLinc to the ISY.

You may need to place the RemoteLinc 30 or more feet from the ISY, but within range of any dual-band device.

Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  6:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I have add my Remotelinc, Remotelinc 2 and Keypad Dimmer Switch. The remotelinc appears to have all of the correct controller/responder information. The other two have information for only some of the buttons. What can I do to get controller/responder info for all of the buttons.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  6:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right click, select Restore Device (Yes), followed by Write Updates to Device.

Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That did not work Stu. I tried it on both the device and remote.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  8:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you place the remote into linking mode first?

Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  9:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I pushed and held the set button on each device until it was blinking and then right clicked on the isy Admin Console, hit restore device and then write updates and there was no difference.

Vince
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  9:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know why you lost some links unless you created them outside of the ISY.

The solution is to recreate the scenes.

Go to Top of Page

vince mastrosimone

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  08:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I deleted a scene and recreated it on the ISY. Then I added it to a button on my 2334 Keypad Controller via ISY. It does show up on the ISY but it does not control the controller or the light; in other words, it's there but it doesn't work. I had to use the set procedure on the controller to make it work again.

Vince

Edited by - vince mastrosimone on 01/13/2017 08:30:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2359 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  2:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vince mastrosimone

Yes, I pushed and held the set button on each device until it was blinking and then right clicked on the isy Admin Console, hit restore device and then write updates and there was no difference.

Hello Vince,

Sorry to interject but wanted to make sure what I quoted up above was not misunderstood by me. When adding any Insteon device and (IF) the user pressed the set button on that hardware you must wait for that process to complete.

As placing (Device A) into linking mode and placing (Device B) into linking mode at the same time will cause those devices to link up together.

Not trying to confuse you or the issues you have now. Just trying to ensure you don't make that mistake which all of us have done in the past!

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 01/13/2017 2:10:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page