Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 2 ceiling fans in the living room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmartin15

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  10:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I am going to have two ceiling fans in the living room. How can I control them together and separately? Say I want the lights on both and only one fan on, or both on at different speeds, etc. I will have the Fanlinc on both and keypads installed.

Edited by - bmartin15 on 02/14/2017 10:21:04 AM

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Install a fanlinc in both. Install keypads somewhere for both. Link them all together in scenes to support your intended usage.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll need more than two 6-button KPLs to accomplish what you want or a sophisticated Insteom manager such as an ISY or software. What are you using to create links between devices?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

bmartin15

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will have the ISY994ir.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  7:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then you can use one 6-button KPL for all that you want.

Create the required scenes for each FanLinc (i.e., light, fan speeds)to control the lights and fans individually, then create programs that use Fast On/Off (i.e., double tap) for each button to control both lights and/or fans concurrently.

Go to Top of Page

bmartin15

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  07:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very new to this, could you clarify a bit more. I should have 2 or 3 6 button controls for the living room (3places to walk in)
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  10:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no specific, or single, way to do this. Insteon is sufficiently flexible that it can be set up however you wish to employ it. The ISY994 gives you even greater options.

My suggestion is to consider how YOU would like to control the lights and fans at each location. As a starter, for each available button, decide what you want to happen when you toggle it on, and what you want to happen when you toggle it off. In each button's case, for example:

-what do you want to happen to your two lights, if anything, when you toggle a particular button ON? One light turn on? The other light to be unaffected? Both lights to be unaffected? Both lights to turn on? The other light to turn off? Nothing?

- what do you want to happen to your fans? Both to turn to a specific speed? One to turn to a specific speed? One or both to turn off? Nothing?

- what do you want to happen to other keypad buttons? Remain unaffected? Turn ON? Turn OFF?

How many buttons do you want at each entry location? Is it possible that you could want more than one keypad (max 8 buttons) at each entry location?

As examples, you could assign a button for each fan speed (off/low/med/high) and light (on/off), for both fans, at each location. This would require 10 buttons (5 functions for each fan x 2 fans). You could assign a button for each fan speed for both fans simultaneously and separate buttons for the two lights (6 buttons). You combine a single button to control both lights. Since you are using the ISY994, you could create a button that would toggle through the various speed options for either or both fans. Do you want to dim the lights? You could create dedicate buttons for this function, or use the on/off button to perform this function. If you assign a button for each fan speed, do you want the other fan speed buttons to turn off when you press the a given speed button?

Each keypad button available can be configured to do something, or nothing, to any combination of your fans and/or lights and/or other-buttons. Once you decide, we can help you figure out how to make that happen.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  12:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll need a KPL for each fan. But, first follow oberkc's suggestion. Decide what you want to happen regarding both fans and both lights.

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2359 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  10:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would to add try to keep it simple because if your the only one who knows how to operate the fan / light. It doesn't offer a very high WAF assuming you have a significant other. More specifically there is nothing wrong with using the power and capability noted by Stu with respect to *Fast On / Fast Off* as it adds flexibility and options.

It however is not intuitive for a lay person to have to know *I must press X very quickly* to make X operate.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 02/17/2017 10:35:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  11:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two KPLs will provide intuitive control for each fan light and speeds, most especially with these buttons.

Controlling both fan lights and speeds by pressing a button quickly twice is less intuitive. It's just something that must be learned unless a third KPL is used, but then where would it be placed? And how would someone identify that it controls both?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page