Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 A Guide to Smart Thermostats: Which Works for Me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbarbour24
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbarbour24's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've done some research on smart thermostats and their compatibility with various heating systems.

To briefly summarize...

1. Nest, ecobee, and Honeywell Lyric work great with low voltage (24V) heating systems like furnaces, heat pumps, and radiant heat.

2. Mysa is the only smart thermostat that works with high voltage (110V-240V) heating systems like electric baseboard heaters or fan-forced heaters.

If you would like to see a features comparison, you can read this 3-minute blog post here: https://getmysa.com/blogs/2017/06/01/a-guide-to-smart-thermostats-which-one-works-for-me/

I hope this helps!

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  12:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are others, for example:

https://amazon.com/SIGNATURE-Touchscreen-Programmable-Dual-Voltage-Thermostat/dp/B00KHA6MEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498504598&sr=8-1&keywords=baseboard+wifi+thermostat
https://amazon.com/King-Electric-ATMOZ1-240-WIFI-Voltage-Thermostat/dp/B01MT3XG7V/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498504598&sr=8-4&keywords=baseboard+wifi+thermostat

and a device that allows you to use any WiFi thermostat with baseboard heating:
https://amazon.com/Aube-RC840T-240-Switching-Electric-Transformer/dp/B0037MXM1C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1498504598&sr=8-9&keywords=baseboard+wifi+thermostat

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

bbarbour24
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  1:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbarbour24's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stusviews, thanks for your response!

Those are definitely alternative thermostats for high voltage heating, but they are not smart thermostats. They can save you ~12% on your heating bill, whereas smart thermostats will save you ~20% on your heating bill. As you can imagine, that is a substantial difference after just a couple years.

Here are some key issues that we keep hearing for those alternatives:

1. Simple programmable or Wi-Fi thermostats lack the machine learning capabilities that exist in Nest, ecobee or Mysa. For example, a smart thermostat can use geo-fencing to detect when if you leave your house early or arrive late. This feature helps to really maximize your energy savings! You read more about the smart features at https://getmysa.com.

2. Programmable thermostats require you to re-program each thermostat when the power goes out. High voltage heating is common in the Northern US and Canada, so snowstorms are expected each winter. Programmable thermostats are also pretty complicated to set up and many people forget to re-program them after a blackout, so they don't actually receive the 12% savings. A smart thermostat allows your to create a heating schedule for all of your thermostats at once and it stores your heating schedule in the cloud, so you never have to re-program them again.

3. The Aube solution is too expensive. If you use an Aube relay to install Nest or ecobee in your house, then you need to purchase one for every smart thermostat in your house. If you want to install Nest in 5 rooms of your home, then you must buy 5 Nest thermostats (5 X $250 = $1,250 USD) + 5 relays (5 X $50 = $250 USD). That's $1,500 USD. It's definitely not very affordable or ideal!

Mysa Smart Thermostats are the only smart thermostats specifically designed for baseboard heaters. They are more affordable, more convenient, and save more money.
Go to Top of Page

Cielo
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  12:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cielo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can try Cielo Breez Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat for ACs & Heat Pumps whih makes every ductless split Air Conditioner & Heat Pump smart. Breez smart controller lets you control your Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps through smartphone from anywhere in the world. On top of that, you can save up to 20% on energy bills.
Comprehensive usage statistics keep you informed about your consumption patterns.

https://www.cielowigle.com/
Go to Top of Page

kcmoelectrician
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  10:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kcmoelectrician's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nest isn't bad only use for low voltage

Kansas city Electrician
6304 NW Barry RD UNIT 901376A
Kansas city, MO 64154
(816) 579-0187
www.electriciankcmo.com
Go to Top of Page

bbarbour24
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbarbour24's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree. I've heard some good reviews about Nest, so I'm sure it works well with low voltage heating systems!
Go to Top of Page

LoneDadSurvivor
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got a honeywell for quite some time already and it worked fine. But recently, it keeps disconnecting itself from our wifi, making us impossible to control it over our smartphones. Everything has to be done manually now.terrible. Rooting for Nest this time.
Go to Top of Page

smarthome112
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  3:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit smarthome112's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found a few decent write ups

http://intelligenthomeblog.com/tech/top-5-smart-thermostats/
CNET has one too and PC mag has a decent write up

I was thinking about the Ecobee but I wasn't sure
https://www.ecobee.com/
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are you not sure about?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

j_c28
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  02:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LoneDadSurvivor, I'm curious to hear what was Honeywell's response regarding the challenge you engaged? I guess your warranty has not expired before the wi-fi disconnecting problem occurred.
Another question: What Honeywell model are we talking about?

Edited by - j_c28 on 04/26/2018 02:06:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

JerryAllen
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  10:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can suggest 2 smart thermostat:

1. Breez smart thermostat gives you the luxury of controlling your ductless heat pumps and air conditioners from anywhere. The Breez smart controller controls your ductless heating / cooling via infrared, just like your remote control, and connects seamlessly through your home Wi-Fi router to the internet. Breez regulates the air conditioning using the user's locations.#8239;

https://www.minisplitwarehouse.com/product/cielo-breez-smart-controller-for-mini-split-heat-pumps-and-air-conditioners

2. The Pebble Wi-Fi controller bridges the gap between the rapidly developing smartphone industry and the residential heating and cooling industry. The Pebble Wi-Fi controller uses patented technology, which allows for a secure connection to your local wireless router through your smartphone. Once securely connected to your wireless router you will be able to controller your air-con/heatpump through our smartphone app Pebble Air. All Android or iOS smartphones can download our free app from Google Play or the App Store.

Communication to your air-con/heat-pump is via three powerful infrared (iR) diodes each with a maximum emitting range of up to 50 feet. Designed for various mounting options, The Pebble Wi-Fi controller has front and also top iR emitters with an optional fourth plug in iR Pebble emitter which allows for an even more flexible and discreet solution.

https://www.minisplitwarehouse.com/product/mini-split-wifi-thermostat-controller-with-7-day-schedule
Go to Top of Page

Autonow
Average Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok I just installed the Honeywell Lyric thermostat (just because of the socagas rebate) Installation was simple. But had a few stupid things. One of the mounting screws was at the 12oclock position which would hit most wires that feed a thermostat.

They want to really force you to use their app to configure the device. but it is possible to do it manually. I did. Personally I will not use their app because of the following: They require an internet account with your personal information and an Internet connection to work. I refuse to give this kind of info to use a thermostat in my home. Its none of their business and it is a security leak into you home network. If your internet provider goes down you can not access your thermostat. I Honeywell wants to screw you some more you are at their mercy. The device should be able to work completely within your home network and not require an internet login to work. I will never use the app but it is good for the next home buyer.
Go to Top of Page

smarthomegearguide
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  08:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit smarthomegearguide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have personally installed and used both the Nest and the Ecobee. A good comparison and review can be found at: https://smarthomegearguide.com/ecobee-vs-nest/

To learn a bit about the Nest, checkout https://smarthomegearguide.com/nest-learning-thermostat/

Steven
Go to Top of Page

roadking2003

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  12:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just installed three Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi thermostats. It took less than an hour to install and program all three. They are cheap ($106) and do everything I need. I can control them via the app, the thermostat or Alexa.
Go to Top of Page

oliviagaallagher021

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  11:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit oliviagaallagher021's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have installed 2GIG Smart Thermostat and it works fine for me. In-fact i am very satisfied with it's performance.

Perfect Home Defense: The pioneers of Wireless Home Alarm Service Providers in US.

Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  08:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a newbie to this forum and Smart devices.

I have an old home built in 1970s and I have a Peerless burner and Riello 40. I use oil for heat and hot water. I have baseboard heating throughout the house. I am not a fan of oil and baseboard heating. I would prefer gas and forced air. Yes, I am aware of the benefits of using oil or gas to heat my home. I have a separate thermostat to control the AC unit. I have two floors and two zones. Currently, I am using Hunter thermostat which is not cost effective and I can't control it on the phone or away from the home. These have to be programmed manually which is not always helpful.

I am thinking of Nest OR Ecobee 4. I know the benefits of each but I am not sure which is the BEST option for my home.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page