Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Controller Problem?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

X10 Geek
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  4:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My X10 system has been working great for years. But the other day the whole thing just quit. I suspect my controller may have died and am in the process of verifying that.

But my question is since all my stuff is pretty old I'm wondering if there is a newer compatible controller I can upgrade to? My software is Smarthome Manager Essential version 5.3.27 2003-2004 and my controller is Smarthome Powerline Controller model# 1132 CU.

I was looking on ebay for a used one but didn't find any and wonder if it's just getting too old and obsolete. Is there a newer controller that will work with my software?

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  6:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggest that you migrate to a more modern protocol. X10 is really old and subject to problems from modern day electronics.

Although for some installations X10 continues to work. I'm sure BLH will chime in

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

avion
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  11:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit avion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your timing could not be better. Although "stusvews ' may be technically correct, however evolution to new protocol standards take time and trade pubs are siting much confusion with DIY IoT brands and capabilities. Albeit, some IP Hub/Controllers are reasonably priced but each Lamp and device module you have to buy is expensive. Good news for those with an existing X10 system. There are two companies introducing new upscale X10 compatible controllers this year, X10Pro and Avion Innovative Products. The new Avion BlueTooth Smart X10 controller for iPhone/iPad will "blow your skirt up" cool. Multi-zone, multi-user, with single-press PhotoTouch lighting scenes, events and timer. Large, crisp GUI great for people with vision limitations. Check it out on the website avioninnovative.com or Houzz marketplace: https://www.houzz.com/product/104123782-bluetooth-smart-x10-home-automation-app-and-controller-for-iphone-contemporary-home-electronics/lid=79477791/lpv=1
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  06:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm unfamiliar with your software or controller but usually hardware doesn't just quite working.
stusviews is correct that X10 is old and suffers from issues with modern day electronics but this can be remedied.
All Protocols have issues and to say moving to another will solve your issue may help but chances are you'll run into another issue.
As avion stated moving to another protocol will be expensive.

The key to finding why your system just stopped working is to look at what new electronic devices you may have recently introduced.
Do your remotes still work?
Check out Jeffs x10 trouble shooting guides: http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Edited by - Tuicemen on 11/02/2017 06:19:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5769 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  08:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also suggest you look at Jeff's great tutorials. To see if something has changed or started to change.
The 1132 may have failed. Though looking for signal issues may help determine if it actually is the problem.

I am not too surprised you can't find a 1132CU. I have two in storage and after all these years. The soldered in Lithium coin cell for the RTC has gone weak over time.
I have toyed with replacing the three electrolytic capacitors and coin cells in mine. If the one in use failed.

Are your modules X10 or one of the OEM from them? IBM, Radio Shack, Heathtkit? Or Smarthome X10 equivalent?

Smarthome and PCS Smartswitch. Used a different X10 command for direct dimming. They used Preset Dim and Regular Dim. That the 1132CU uses.
X10 and their OEM modules used extended code Direct Dim and regular Dim.
So the newer Soft Start X10 modules and Smarthome modules. Depending on the controller brand and if it was Soft Start. May act strange.

Edited by - BLH on 11/02/2017 08:04:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page