Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Outdoor Wifi system for Canadian Winter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nicad
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  08:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to have some video security on an island property over the winter. It will not be accessible for probably three to four months unless you have a snowmobile (which I do not) Ideally I'd like a few battery powered cameras located at about twenty feet height in some trees.
I see that some cameras have very poor cold weather performance (Arlo Pro 2). Two way voice and phone paging from a motion alert is what I am after. Not interested in recording live 24/7 as the data costs would be excessive.
I think the ideal system would use a rather big battery also mounted in the Tree or perhaps a solar charger. I'd think keeping snow off the solar panel might make this impractical.
Suggestions appreciated.
The property I want to watch over will have electricity and internet all winter but no heat. Outdoor temps will probably average 10F.
Suggestions appreciated, Thanks.

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are heated camera enclosures for just that purpose, but you'd need to run electric to wherever the camera is located.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
785 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  1:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electronic components are manufactured in three temperature grades. Consumer (0C to 50C = 32F to 122F), Industrial (-40C to +70C = -40F to 158F) and Military (-55C to 125C = -67F to 257F). Quality equipment is built with industrial grade parts. Unless the equipment is specifically for indoor use only it's a good bet that it is made with industrial components. So 10F should not be a problem. There are outdoor type cameras. In fact, it is high temperature which usually presents a challenge. I still have a bunch of X10 modules (made with consumer grade parts) working outside for over 20 years (we get -30C = -22F).
Batteries, on the other hand, will be the stumbling block. You're up against two issues. One, all batteries lose capacity in cold. And all batteries suffer from self discharge. NiCads, for example, lose 20% to 40% of their charge per month. NiMH batteries lose about 30% per month. Li-ion or Li-polymer would likely be your best choice, but they are expensive and need a special charger. Lead-acids are reasonably priced and easily available in large capacities, but they also have up to 20% per month discharge.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
785 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  1:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. I assume you don't consider non-rechargeable batteries. They suffer only a minor self-discharge - e.g. alkalines have 10 years shelf life, but they do lose some capacity in cold and they may be quite expensive in the long run.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

nicad
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I go with external batteries I need them to last from mid December till early April. Since I only want the camera to be triggered by motion, Perhaps this is not that hard. Not sure if he wifi component is always live and drawing power on these systems?
Go to Top of Page

Radwaann
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  10:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radwaann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are three types "SEVERE WEATHER" security cameras.
* ACTi cameras
* Arecont Vision
* Geovision

If still you are confused then consult any security camera provider or CCTV Installation Companies nearby you.
Go to Top of Page

LoneDadSurvivor
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  10:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same thing goes with the arlo pro.the 2 way communication is great but the weatherproof feature i think is misleading. It can placed outdoors during winter, yes but if the temp drops lower and lower, it affects the batteries.Here. https://smartrobotichome.com/smart-security-camera-comparison/#arlo_pro
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
785 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will have to consider non-rechargeable batteries, e.g. alkaline, which have a shelf life of about 10 years. All rechargeables will be essentially dead after 4 months even if there is no load whatsoever.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

n2ocharged
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could always install an external battery with a solar charger that will charge the battery (batteries) during the day
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
785 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on where you live. I'm in southern Ontario, not far from Toronto and the sun can't even keep my outside, South facing, motion detector battery charged. The detector faces rarely used, because of several feet of snow, area. Obviously, the solar panel has a pile of snow on it too. So, your idea might work or it might not.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page