Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 Seeking Self-Managed Outdoor Security Camera
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gil_happy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm looking for an outdoor, inconspicuous motion sensing camera that can be self-managed (no monthly premiums) - this can be in the form of combination light / camera that mounts on an electrical outlet, flood light w/ camera, or just a stand-alone camera. I like the idea of the combination light since the camera is mostly hidden or inconspicuous and it can mount on an existing electrical outlet.

The problem with the solutions that I have found (namely Kuna) is that in order to use the motion sensing feature (and then upload pictures or video to a server), there is a monthly service fee. Since I'm technical enough, I have my own FTP server I can use (to upload motion sensing activity) as well as the ability to set up port forwarding on my router for remote viewing.

Any help or assistance in finding a camera to fit my needs is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swann security cameras, like virtually all CCTV cameras, can send an image when motion is detected. There are both wired (BNC or RCA connections) and wireless models.

You do need a DVR and monitor or any TV that has an RCA input connection, most TVs do. I currently have 7 CCTV cameras, 4 wired and 3 wireless. An advantage is security. The cameras connect to the DVR or TV. No one can hack in.

More convenient, but less secure, is an IP camera, also available in wired or wireless. I'm using 6 of those, the brand I prefer is Foscam.

As with the CCTV cameras, you can get an image whenever motion is detected and you can views the camera on your computer. As with anything that connects to your LAN, if you're also connected to the internet, then there's the risk of someone viewing your camera(s).

Neither Swann not Foscam have any fee at all. The only cost is buying the equipment. If you already have a computer or spare TV, then the only expense is the camera(s) and the cable, if you select wired.

BTW, wired (either CCTV or IP) is more dependable.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

gil_happy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  12:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi... thank you for the quick reply. In terms of connectivity, I should have stated that I was looking for a WiFi enabled camera. Also, I'm not looking to add TVs or a DVR in my home - I'm just looking to a) be able to remotely video monitor my back yard using my phone, PC, etc, and b) when the camera senses motion in my back yard, upload pictures (video is a bonus but not needed) to a FTP of my choice. I would even be ok with it uploading to Google Drive, as long as there are no monthly fees, etc.

Speaking of Foscam, I actually have one of those, but it is an indoor camera. Right now it is pointing into my yard through a window and uploading still pictures when it senses motion, but this is not the ideal situation since it has to point through a window, etc. Otherwise you are on track when you suggested Foscam as a possible option, but they don't have an outdoor camera that "doesn't look like an outdoor camera".
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  4:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find that having the camera in a conspicuous location is, in itself, a deterrent. That's precisely why dummy cameras are available. My house is nearly surrounded with obvious (real) cameras.

Any particular reason the you want the camera unnoticeable? (response optional)

Here's a somewhat costly hidden outdoor camera.

Or you can become innovative, for example, hiding the camera in a birdhouse.

Go to Top of Page

gil_happy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  5:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm not looking to deter theft, etc. It's more of a way to track whether my pool and yard people are showing up when they say they are. I also don't want my yard to look like a 'prison' :-)

Thanks for the the link.... I'll perform some searches similar to that to see what I come up with.

Edited by - gil_happy on 11/09/2017 5:56:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  01:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't care about when our gardeners show up as long as I can see the results. Interestingly, they've spotted the cameras and have remarked that it's a good idea.

So have our neighbors. The cameras, easily noticeable, give the appearance of protection, not a prison. But, that's just our take

Go to Top of Page

gil_happy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  4:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update - after all of my research, I have decided to go with the Netatmo Presence. I like the free storage options (Dropbox or FTP). Arlo is coming out with an outdoor security light / camera combo, but it won't be available until spring 2018.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  5:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With a built-in floodlight, that defeats your original request that it be inconspicuous. And that supports my contention that the camera be obvious

Go to Top of Page

gil_happy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  08:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies.... I guess I had too many things on my want list. The Kuna products would have been perfect, except that they charge a monthly service fee for what I want. I guess we shall see how bright, and how much light is emitted from the Netatmo.
Go to Top of Page

LoneDadSurvivor
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arlo would have been nice but the monthly cloud fee makes it more expensive also, I read here that there batteries aren't so good. smartrobotichome.com/smart-security-camera-comparison/#arlo

Edited by - LoneDadSurvivor on 11/24/2017 01:51:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

SharBytil
Starting Member

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  3:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is cool, thank you

<3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic