Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Floods flash but don't stay on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaxnd
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  8:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My old x10 floodlights started acting up by only briefly flashing and not staying on. Thoughts? Time to find a new floodlight sensor on ebay? Thanks Jackson

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tested with new bulbs?
Mine started to behave that way as well, I discovered one bulb lose and the other the filament was going.
Go to Top of Page

slzattas
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old x10 switches only work with incandescent bulbs. If you change bulbs to compact fluorescents or leds, they will flash continuously. That happened to me. There is a new x10 model that works with leds and cfls; I replaced the switch with the new one, and everything worked fine.

susan
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
789 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right. Even though the appliance modules have hard contacts, LEDs, CFLs and fluorescent lights are reactive loads causing a feedback which turns the module off - in some cases it can go to continuous oscillations. Circuits can be designed to fix this problem, but the old appliance modules are difficult to modify. The only reasonable modification I found is the removal of the the current sensing resistor inside the module. In most situations it fixed the problem. If not, connecting a small incandescent bulb almost always does the job.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page