Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 CM15A vs TM751
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bxdobs
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  7:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
used x10 since the early 80s including building custom computer interfaces and software ... in the past month I have had 2 TM751s fail ... one is completely dead the other is randomly stuttering (any time it gets a dim command it gets stuck sending dim continuously and wiping out the entire X10 spectrum) ... took them both apart but couldn't find either a fuse (most modules have a whisker open air fuse) OR any noticeable failed components ... went online looking for a schematic ... apparently there was a tm751.gif file on one of the forums but the link is long dead ... several years back I had purchased a CM15A but have never used it ... as it has 2 antennas (one internal and one external), I was expecting it should just act like a TM751 even if it wasn't connected to a PC? The manual for this device isn't very clear on its capabilities ... mostly talks about how to use the PC software ... does anyone recall if the CM15A could work in this capacity (standalone like the TM751) or does it have to be connected to a PC with software much like the TW523?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10615 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  7:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be programmed to opererate as a stand-alone interface with limited features, or it could be used as an interface to a PC and software for more extensive features.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5769 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  03:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can act as a all address [House Code A-P, Unit Code 1-16} transceiver.
The software lets you select which House Codes are transceiver.
It can stand alone as a transceiver after being told what House Codes to transceive. I believe the default was Auto that only used the ones for modules installed in the GUI.

Since the original X10 Wireless Technologies went bankrupt. The new owners lost the registration servers in the move. So installing Active Home Pro, that needed registration, was not easy. Tuicemen has written a program that allow you to install AHP and four of the added plugins.

The external antenna is the receive one and its range is not too good. About half of the antenna wire is inside the case. Wrapped around the case. Some of us have extended it all the way out and improved the range. Others removed the antenna and installed a BNC Jack with an external antenna.

I will see if I can find any sites with active schematics. I do know there are more than one hardware version of the TM751 and many other modules.

You can always ask in the X10 Forums for added information.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php

Edited by - BLH on 12/05/2017 05:47:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5769 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  04:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The TM751 and RR501 schematics and photos are not in the FCC Database. The older CM15A schematics and photos are on the FCC web site. The newer CM15A with the RF receiver and RF transmitter on the main board and surface mounted controller. Are not there.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
Grantee B4S
Product Code: CM15A
Details choice.

Some of us have added a few .1uf bypass capacitors to the older ones. To improve reliability.

Edited by - BLH on 12/05/2017 04:20:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5769 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  05:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a test.
With what I believe is factory settings.
Blank Room with No modules. Cleared downloaded memory. Tranceived House Code Auto.
No House Codes where tranceived.
Set to Tranceived House Codes. Specific and enabled A and P. A and P tranceived. Other 14 not.
Set to Tranceived House Codes. Specific and enabled all 16 House Codes. All tranceived.
This was not on the computer after each change and no batteries installed.
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  06:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The CM15A is far superior then the tm751.
It has memory and a polite transmitter meaning it waits for the power line to be clear before sending a x10 command.
I've never experienced range issues BLH mentioned but I have it mounted on the second floor.
Go to Top of Page

bxdobs
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  09:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for all the replies

Installed an archived copy of ActiveHome Pro and was able to configure the CM15A to the point where it is now receiving commands from a PowerHouse 8 in 1 remote with 3 noticeable differences:
1) the remote RX range is much less then the TM751 ... will look at antenna mods ... maybe just transfer one of the antennas from a failed TM751
2) there is more of a lag in time between RX and X10 action
3) I suspect the CM15A X10 signals may be weaker then the TM751 as it is having difficulties controlling devices on the 2nd AC phase ... the TM751 has a polarized AC plug where as the CM15A has an internal transformer to isolate circuitry from the mains ... having a transformer means it can be plugged in to the wall in any polarization ... cross phase x10 signal coupling can sometimes be improved by just flipping an X10 transmitters plug

At least for now I have manual remote control restored
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5769 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  10:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) As a quick thing to try. Tape or fasten an 18" metal rod on to the external part of the antenna.
2) If there is any noise the CM15A thinks is on the power line. It is polite and maybe temporarily holding off sending the power line commands.
3) Depending on how old the TM751's where. It is possible the CM15A has a lower PLC signal. There was a change in the TM751 and old ones had a higher PLC signal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page