Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Garage Door Controller, Worth the Investment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

liang916
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  6:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw an ad and discovered this product. It can control garage door openers remotely through the phone. Do you guys think this is a good investment?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076B94G6F

LockNMore
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit LockNMore's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More important than controlling the garage door with the phone is making sure no one else can easily get in. I just posted this article about how people with no talent or real brains can get into my garage in under 6 seconds. Before you worry about using your phone to get into your garage, make sure no one else can get in. https://www.locknmore.com/garage-door-huge-security-risk/

Lock N More Locksmith
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
803 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  10:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with LockNMore, although my door construction does not allow access to the release handle. But why would anyone want to use a telephone to open the door when the remote control can do that within about 100 meters (300 ft.) radius?

GJN
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in full agreement with Geo. I don't get why people use their smartphones for virtually anything that is much, much more convenient controlling another way. Well, there is some fun to be able to do it.

There are some things that are more convenient using a smartphone, but opening a garage door or entryway is not among them. Neither is turning lights on nor controlling window coverings (unless you're doing it from an away location).

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  1:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geo

But why would anyone want to use a telephone to open the door when the remote control can do that within about 100 meters (300 ft.) radius?

I can think of a couple of reasons. One: sometimes one can arrive home and find the battery in the remote control dead.

Regardless, neither do I consider this a good "investment". It is money spent for a convenience. Each person must decide whether it is worth it, or not.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  1:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMO, money spent for only a convenience is more than worth it. That's what HA is all about

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
803 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  06:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to garage door security, it is not much of a problem for a reasonably sophisticated thief to coerce an opener to open. Because I was once hit by such a guy, I have my opener automatically disabled between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. This may not be practical for many, but I'm retired and go out during those hours once in a blue moon. In such cases I pay with a little inconvenience, having to go through the main door and enable the opener manually.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  07:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

IMO, money spent for only a convenience is more than worth it. That's what HA is all about

And, oftentimes, it is for me as well. But this is a personal decision in both our cases, based on how much disposable income or cash we have available to us. I know some who should definitely NOT be spending money on such things. I just don't think there is a globally-true answer to such a question.

The security question comes up often, and I am equally doubtful about whether there is a global-truth about whether this is a good idea or not. There are too many factors that vary by location and personal tolerance to say this is always a bad, or good, idea. What is the likelihood of threat? What is your tolerance to risk? What do you have to lose?

Yes, a reasonably sophisticated thief could, potentially, open your garage door. Such thieves could pick your lock. It takes less sophistication to break a window and enter, but it works just as well. Does having the ability to automate the garage door reduce the likelihood and risk that I might accidentally leave the door open? Personally, I have taken the view that anyone wish sufficient skills to hack into an insteon system could probably make more money in the legitimate marketplace, so I generally don't worry much about those. Besides, there are far more lucrative targets for those with such skills.

Whether it is worth the "investment" or worth the risk, each of us must decide based on our individual factors and tolerance.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
803 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  07:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garage door openers have a number of easy to access control points. Because electronics has been my profession, I built an embedded controller which allows me to program all kinds of silly things for it. Not that it's needed, I just enjoy doing it. I know that there are some accessories for openers one can buy but would I, if I didn't know how to build them? Most likely not. But then there are people who want to own every latest gizmo whether useful or not. As oberkc states, it's individual.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page