Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart Plug?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gejettest
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  6:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm looking for a smart plug that would control a hot water heater circulation pump. I would like to control it with a switch a some type from 2 locations. The kitchen sink and the upstairs bathroom.
Ideally the switches would indicate when the pump/plug is activated and it would be great to have it on 15 min timer each time it is activated.
The existing pump has little tabs to have it start but we have to go into the garage each time we want to do that. Sure I can have a bunch of the tickers on but we do things at different times.
Not anything fancy or too expensive.
Anything out there like that?
Thanks in advance,

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3707 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, anything I am familiar with would be fancy and expensive, I am afraid.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  2:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gejettest
The existing pump has little tabs to have it start but we have to go into the garage each time we want to do that.

Do you mean that you "don't" want to do that? Since the timer you're using is a plug-in, then I'd guess that what you want to control uses line voltage (110/120VAC), but I don't know.

Does it? That's critical as is the load (amperes) which you also didn't specify.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

gejettest
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  4:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late response, I thought I had it set up to be notified.
Yes, I guess I would like to be able to control a plug that would turn the circulating pump on/off remotely from another part of the house.
It is only .52 amp, 1/40th HP.
Trying to attach an image or two but unable.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  8:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have several choices at each end. You can add an Insteon plug-in module as the pump or replace the outlet with an Insteon On/Off Outlet.

The plug-in device is also available as an outdoor module. Each is about $50/ You need only one of the choices.

At the kitchen and/or bathroom, you can install an Insteon SwitchLinc or KeypadLinc, if you have the room (switch box with a neutral wire). Or you can add a battery powered Mini Remote and can be free standing or attached to the wall. The Mini Remote has a USB re-chargable battery that usually last 3 or more months between charges.

Having the pump turn off after a scheduled time period is a bit more complicated and somewhat more costly.

Do you want to start and, over time, expand a home automation system?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page