Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 8 button 2334-222 programing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dnar2018
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've installed my 8 button keypad on a light circuit and wish to control that set of lights as well as another across the room using the 2nd keypad button.

Is it possible to program this second button to control the lights on the circuit onto which the 8 button keypad is hard-wired followed by programming a second responder to add another light to be controlled by this 2nd button, while the 1st button remains unchanged, maintaining control of the light circuit onto which the 8 button keypad is hard-wired?

I tried the procedure as outlined in the manual which seems to refer only to the programming of 2 separate switch devices. It did not work.

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3707 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  7:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To clarify...Button A on the first keypad is the one that would control the attached load. It is certainly possible to control that load using a button from another keypad, yes. Put the second keypad button you want to use to control the into linking mode ("as controller"). Once the second keypad beeps (indicating it is in linking mode) add the first keypad button A as responder (it should beep twice when successful).

Most people would want the reverse to work as well (second keypad button come on when first keypad A button is on). This does not sound like what you want, but if you change your mind, repeat the steps above, starting instead with keypad 1 button A as controller and the second keypad button as responder.

Edited by - oberkc on 01/04/2018 7:33:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3707 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  7:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, yes, you could add another light as responder to the same button on the second keypad. The process would be identical: put the second keypad button in linking mode, then put the other light into linking mode (should also beep twice when link is successful).
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3707 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  7:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, there is no way to segregate the load from the button A. If the load is on, button A will be on, and vice versa.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  11:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can do that-with limitations depending on how you manage Insteon devices.

Which do you use; manual linking, a Hub (which one), an ISY, software (which), something else?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

dnar2018
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  4:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies. I see how I was unclear with my Insteon ambitions in my post. I said "2nd keypad button"....but what I meant was the 2nd button on the *same keypad*....more accurately "scene B." Sorry for the confusion & thanks for the quick reply.

Right now my programming is limited to the devices themselves, no hub ISY or such.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  8:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bit more clarification:

Button A is to control one or more lights. Call it Light A. Turning button A on and off turns Light A on or off, respectively.

Button B is to control Light B. Turning button B on or off turns Light B on or off, respectively.

That much is clear. What else would you link to occur?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3707 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  04:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnar2018

My apologies. I see how I was unclear with my Insteon ambitions in my post. I said "2nd keypad button"....but what I meant was the 2nd button on the *same keypad*....more accurately "scene B." Sorry for the confusion & thanks for the quick reply.

Most of my earlier comments still apply. The load that is hardwired to your keypad is controlled by buttonA on that keypad. There is no way to change this. Furthermore, buttonA will be illuminated when the load is ON. There is also no way to change that.

If you want to control the attached load, along with another device, from a button other than A, put the other button into linking mode (as controller) then add button A as responder. After that, put the other button into linking mode again (as controller) then add the second responder. I am unaware of any limitation that would cause this to fail (though it has been a LONG time since I have manually linked any devices together).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page