Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Compatible NVR?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gfs86
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  10:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, not sure if this is already a topic or not. I have a bunch of insteon devices (switches, dimmers, sensors, etc.) and would like to add cameras to the outside of my home. I want to be able to view from my insteon app along with the status of all my other devices but would like to know if anyone has found a compatible NVR for Insteon 2864-232 Outdoor HD IP that will record the cameras? I donít care about a app for the NVR since I will live look in from the insteon app. I just want to be able to look back at the recordings from my tv when I need to. I donít want to get another brand for a security system because I am trying to not have multiple apps on my phone for home products (I am already mad that I have to keep the nest app just for my nest protect). If there isnít a compatible NVR then is there any cameras that will work with the Insteon Hub? I was wondering if foscam cameras would work with the Insteon Hub and then I could just buy a NVR setup from them. Help me please someone!

dnissen

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three Foscam cameras that work great with my Insteon Hub. Iíve had them for about four years. Although I do not have a NVR. Need to get one.

Edited by - dnissen on 01/09/2018 08:03:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

gfs86
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  2:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thatís great to hear! The cameras are viewable on the insteon app? What is the model number of your foscam cameras? I will probably go buy a bunch of them now lol.
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  3:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seven cameras for my house. I use 2 of them with Insteon. There's not much value to using the cameras with Insteon compared to the Blue Iris software that I'm using. It's convenient enough using 2 separate apps on my Android phone one for each application.
Go to Top of Page

dnissen

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  07:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gfs86
I have the R2 black now. They are indoor cameras, but are much cheaper than outdoor cameras. Plus I have them under the eves out of the way any weather. I live in So. California so weather really isnít a problem. It really is a good camera, both day and night. They are not hardwired, but yet they still perform well. They have to travel threw 2 or 3 walls to the router.
Go to Top of Page

SeanM
Administrator

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  10:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An NVR (Network Video Recorder)usually works by connecting to a camera's IP (ex.192.168.1.201) address and grabbing the UDP packet stream. Almost any NVR will do this for network cameras. Itss when you try to get fancy with things like RTSP that you have to start digging into the camera and NVR specs. For this application it is not needed.

You can look at free software based NVRs like www.ispyconnect.com (Windows) or XGuard (OSX)

This will allow you to record locally or you can pay a fee to be able to do it from a remote location. Then you just set the record path to either a local drive or cloud drive. The initial setup is clugey but it will at least get you started.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page