Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 insteon hub replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ddiebert2003
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  5:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it has come to our attention that insteon is abandoning their customer base and product lines.

consequently, we will be phasing out our insteon products although we have been quite satisfied with them. unfortunately, their actions are forcing us to find alternative solutions.

therefore, we are requesting your opinions on replacements of our hub, on/off switches, and motion sensors. we had planned to add insteon thermostats for our hvac systems this year, but alas those supporting heat pumps are no longer available (even from back stock).

jackman
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you get that information?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

240 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  9:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to get new sources! If you're going to make a statement like they, at least include your source material.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/10/2018 9:08:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5769 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  03:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too find it hard to believe.
Is this for the USA and Canada or some of the other areas of the world? Where the availability of modules seems not as great
Go to Top of Page

ddiebert2003
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  09:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we phoned smarthome at tel:1-800-762-7846. supposedly this is in california and the items would be used in new mexico.

told the guy what equipment we had, what we wanted to do, asked when they would have the part back in stock (we kept finding links to it all over the web site, with notes saying it was out of stock), and were told that they *discontinued* the one and only option they had.

(all we wanted were some thermostats that worked with heat pumps and our existing hub...)

was told we would have to go to another brand to get the desired functionality.

so, this isnít a credible source? who should we contact? we sure would like to not have to replace all these fairly expensive items.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

240 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really!!! That's your reasoning behind insteon abandoning their product lines!Companies discontinue non sellers all the time. If an item is losing money there is no point in keeping it. The heat point thermostat barely sold as did certain other products. That does not mean they are abandoning their stuff.

All companies do this. Apple no longer makes the iPod shuffle, nano, clickwheel. Would you accuse them of abandoning their customer base? Insteon simply stopped making something that didn't sell. It was a decision made easier since there are alternatives that would still work with the hub asuch as the best thermostat.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/11/2018 09:34:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  09:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been other forum threads regarding the Insteon heat pump thermostat. I considered it as well until it was discontinued. I've also learned that the Nest integrates with the Hub. My local utility company is offering a $100 rebate which makes it even more affordable but I've not yet decided to make a purchase. You may want to look into that as well.

I won't abandon the rest of my Insteon system simply because a few adjunct solutions are not compatible.
Go to Top of Page

ddiebert2003
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iíve been told by the insteon/smarthome staff that the nest, and other brands of thermostats, will *not* work with my 2242-222 hub.

if any of you have gotten this to work, let us know!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page