Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 KeypadLinc and Detach Load - can it prolong life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrceolla
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have a few of the newer dual-band KeypadLinc devices which support a 'Detach Load' feature, and whose load control I have no use for. In other words, they are not connected to any lights, they are just there for the buttons themselves.

I use HomeSeer 3 and the mnsandler plugin supports this 'Detach Load' feature. I use 8-button configuration and the A button is linked to a different Insteon device.

My question is, would enabling detach load have any affect on the longevity of the KeypadLinc by NOT ever engaging the triac (on a dimmer) or the relay (on an on/off switch)? I am only using the dimmer KeypadLincs in these situations. Do triacs even do any work if they are turned on but have no load attached?

Just wondering if I should bother enabling this feature on these KeypadLincs given their use situation, and if I would get any benefit from doing so.

Thanks for any input!

mrceolla
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bump my own thread. Anyone have any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

234 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  12:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More than likely not. Generally, unless you're using an incompatible device, it'll be something else that goes out (usually capacitors).
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  10:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that it would prolong the life of the dimmer, but since you are not using it, I do not think that you would see any impact. The only other advantage would be safety, even if the wire nut came off it would not matter.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  2:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nearly all reported problems have been with the power supply (capacitors). As long a power is applied, the device is in use.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

mrceolla
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  6:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the feedback. I understand the device itself is always powered and that other components can fail which are completely separate from load control. I would think an on/off keypad with a mechanical relay would definitely benefit from this feature in this situation due to the wear and tear on the moving parts of the relay. I know nothing about triacs, though, and don't know if they actually do any work if the circuit isn't complete, or even if triacs can wear out. Does anyone know anything about that?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

234 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  12:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The triacs are engaged whether they are used or not. Since there is no load it does not matter.

As mentioned by all, generally the triacs don't go bad anyway (unless am incompatible lead is used). Most times, when a device goes bad its the capacitors.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 02/08/2018 12:52:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

mrceolla
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. Thank you for the information. I won't worry much about it then.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2354 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is this *Detach Load* feature people speak of??? It does what?!?

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  6:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a beta KPL that allowed assigning any button to the load. Or none. It never went into production. One reason was that a factory reset removed the feature.

Another was the complexity involved in reassigning the load button. One error and, again, the feature was gone.

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2354 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  6:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

There was a beta KPL that allowed assigning any button to the load. Or none. It never went into production. One reason was that a factory reset removed the feature.

Another was the complexity involved in reassigning the load button. One error and, again, the feature was gone.

Why is the OP speaking in the present tense and not in the past tense then??

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  7:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have one. I've had it for quite a while, but I have it now. If I can find it in my junk box, I'll provide a date code, but it's not anywhere near a high priority for me.

IIRC, it's from last year. I don't have any idea why the OP calls them "newer" nor even how a few were obtained. But, that's beyond my realm.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page