Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 2342-222 and 2342-242 all stopped communicating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Waynedude
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  11:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Waynedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a client with 2 x eight scene remotes and 2 x on/off mini remotes. They are tied to about 24 togglelinc dimmers controlling a number of scenes or a single toggle linc in case of the -242.

They have been working for years, and all 4 suddenly stopped. I just dredged up the old Houselinc program and am awaiting a chance to visit the customer to see what that tells me. That is really the only sane way to attempt to program all those devices and scenes, it would take days manually. I tried to program a single link on my last visit and the 2342 wouldn't link to one of the togglelinc's it was previously linked to.

Not sure what would cause this. Client is pissed and wants me to replace all the togglelincs, but that would be a nightmare.

Waynedude

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ToggleLincs are single-band devices. They have no RF circuitry, they depend on other dual-band gear to operate as a signal bridge to RF-only remotes and to convey signals between the two sides of a split-single phase power system. Check to see those dual-band devices havenít failed or been moved or removed.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Waynedude
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Waynedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since it has been so many years, I am not sure what dual band or wireless interface they may have had. I know we have a bridge between the two phases (pretty sure its an X-10 phase bridge at the breaker panel). What device could we add to ensure the wireless dual band link exists?

Waynedude
Go to Top of Page

Waynedude
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  12:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Waynedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went back to orders and we had installed two 2443 dual band range extenders to interface with the wireless controls. I just checked the site and it says these are no longer available. Is there a substitute?

Waynedude
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

178 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 2443 AccessPoints purchased many years ago before all the devices were dual band. I would simply add some dual band devices to your network such as a plug in lamp dimmer 2457.
Go to Top of Page

Waynedude
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Waynedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just saw they have a newer version ITEM #: 2992-222 which would perform the dual band and wireless interface function of the old 2443. Cost less than a plug in dimmer and is focused on that job. May be the solution.

I am checking with the client to see if he can find the old devices somewhere probably the reason all the wireless stopped working, someone unplugged the 2443 interfaces.

Thanks for your help!

Waynedude
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  1:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearly all INSTEON power line gear now features dual-band mesh repeaters built in. The Range Extender https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2992-222-range-extender.html is the current equivalent of an Access Point, but jackman is right, you could just as easily use current model LampLincs or On/Off modules.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Waynedude
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  1:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Waynedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, You have been much more help than the support line!

Waynedude
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5721 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  3:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2922-222 is a 2457D2 Dual Band LampLinc.
With the dimmer components left out and I suspect a different firmware
Go to Top of Page

Waynedude
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  06:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Waynedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for your help walking me through this. The 2922's worked perfectly. Just plugged then into opposite phases, and all mini remotes came back to life. I didn't even have to run the Houslinc program and wait the hours for it to discover things over the powerlines.

Waynedude
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page