Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 re-doing scenes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  2:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a number of keypad lincs, and many wall and plug-in modules. Perhaps because of over time some have been moved, that I have some inadvertent dependencies (controller/responder pairings); e.g., when I turn on my shed light, I notice that the kitchen sink light also comes on.
I guess any controller/responder is technically a scene. Some of these pairings were done just using the Set buttons, and others were done with the iPhone/hub interface.
Where do scenes reside? And if a Scene has a name, and perhaps a schedule, where is that kept?
If I want to start completely over and erase all scenes, what do I need to do?
TIA
Don (now 23805)

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you link any devices to each other, you create a ‘scene’. Links are stored locally, in each module, with a Controller link stored in one module (which allows the controller to interrogate and confirm message receipt) and a matching Responder link (including the type of response—on, off, dim %, and ramp rate) on the other.

You can delete links from a device in three ways. You can ‘unlink’ a controller from a Responder using a Set button procedure, you can use software that knows about the device relationship to remove them, or you can perform a Factory Reset to clear a module’s entire link database at once. In any case, for best results, always remove both the Controller and Responder links—don’t just factory reset a controller, as the responder devices will continue to react!

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  3:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the info. Since I have the iPhone/hub interface, I tend to make/edit scenes that way. But that interface doesn't seem to know about scenes put together by the old set-button method. Can I do factory resets of each module from the iPhone interface? Some of my modules are in pretty inaccessible places!
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  3:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negative, you can only do a factory reset of an INSTEON module when you have physical access to the device, probably for security reasons.

If a module is reacting to manual links that the Hub doesn’t know about, you can use the Hub app to fix things. Simply *add* the unwanted device to whatever scene that module is controlling, save the scene and let the Hub ‘officially’ create the links. Once a module is a legitimate, recognized member of the scene, you can then use the Hub app to remove it from the scene to delete those links.

Go to Top of Page

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK . . . So if I reset every module, what happens to scenes that (I presume) are somehow/somewhat stored in the hub?
Are there also parameters stored in the "Insteon server"? e.g., schedules. Does the hub query the server to get the time, and parameters like sunrise & sunset; or does the server initiate scenes that use specific times??
Maybe a minor nuclear blast and the resulting EMP would work ;=)
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  5:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then you would want to delete any schedules and scenes from the Hub before performing a factory reset on it as well.

That’s a lot to do, thus my recommendation that you address a few glitches individually instead of burning it all to the ground and starting fresh.

Go to Top of Page

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  5:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm leaning toward the nuke option. Have to email kim jong il ;=(

But, seriously . . . The iPhone/hub seem to know about all my devices (I think). In "edit devices" I have the option to Delete Device. Would doing this erase all metadata associated with my SYSTEM ? Not a factory reset, but maybe the same effect, eh ?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negative, it’ll only correctly delete a device if you remove it from scenes first.

Go to Top of Page

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  07:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took your sage advice and created temporary scenes that mimicked all the rogue associations that have sneaked my system. Then deleted them, one by one. It took all afternoon. BTW (for anyone following this thread), I found that putting the names of my scenes in parentheses makes it easier to differentiate scene names from names of Insteon modules.

Am I right that any battery operated modules (minipads, motion sensors) need to really have the button pushed as part of setting them in hub scenes? They were originally set up with the button pushing regimen, not via the Hub.

Things have improved. Now I just have to make labels for all those scene buttons.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don_94583

Am I right that any battery operated modules (minipads, motion sensors) need to really have the button pushed as part of setting them in hub scenes?

Affirmative. Battery-operated INSTEON devices go to sleep between uses to extended battery life, so you have to wake them up first to add or delete links.

Go to Top of Page

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've mostly succeeded eliminating Manually Created Scenes by setting them up via Hub, then deleting them. However, I have a manual scene that turns off everything in the house (at least "everything" that existed when I set it up). To be complete, I set up a scene with the All Off button as a controller and included everything else as Responders. 183 linkages to create! AND it kept hanging up at #5 wanting me to press the Set button on a plug-in module for "manual linking", and it couldn't get beyond that. So I'm considering a shortcut. Suppose I create a scene with just the All Off button and one responder, then delete that. That should free up the Controller button. I'll end up having a bunch of "dangling responders", but is that awful? I can see a problem if a Controller expects to communicate with responders that don't reply back, but not with Responders that are never addressed. Won't that work? 183 is Just Too Much.
TIA
Don
Go to Top of Page

Don_94583

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  12:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
. . . answering my own question (above), that idea didn't seem to work ;=( I could spend the rest of my life trying to undo these scenes. Perhaps the most efficient way to do this is to just replace the Contoller keypads. Maybe I could sell the old ones on eBay.
Lesson: DON'T create manual scenes! Buy the Hub and create scenes that way! Or don't be an early adopter.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that wouldn’t remove the responder links, so those other devices would still respond.

Only older modules and battery-operated devices require tapping or holding the Set button while manipulating scenes. You could certainly handle the process in smaller batches, a handful at a time, and you can safely just hit continue (ignoring the advice to *tap* the Set button to lock in a dim level) on older dimmers, since your real goal is to *unlink* them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page