Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Hub and inaccessable outlets: cannot make scenes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Redoubt
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm trying to add a Hub to allow voice control through Alexa. I have booted the hub and added all my devices.

When I try to create a scene, I am asked to physically press the button on the outlet. I have two outlets that are behind trim that control led strip lighting and are not accessible. I would greatly prefer to NOT remove trim pieces in my theater to push buttons on the outlet.

It appears that the previous programming done in houselinc is still in the wall switches as the outlets respond to them.

When I turn the scene on and off through the hub, one of the two outlets responds correctly, but the other one does not.

During the building of the scene, the first outlet named "riser" asked me to push the button and then failed repeatedly and finally skipped. It appears to have been removed from the scene. The second outlet named "soffit" gave a different error when I did not push then button on it and appears to have been added to the scene.

I will continue to play with it and post any updates. If anyone has an idea how to get it to work short of ripping trip panels down, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

edit: I went and tried again to add a member to the scene, but again it wanted me to physically access the outlet and failed. Then wall switches still turn the riser outlet on. Both the hub and wall switches still turn the riser and soffit outlets on.

Edited by - Redoubt on 02/02/2018 4:32:19 PM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  4:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense.

The Hub links devices to scenes using features that were only added to modules years after development of the original INSTEON protocol. It sounds like your outlets are several years old, equipment that predate the invention of those features. Those older modules can still be used with the Hub, but they require you to tap the Set button to program the on level and/or hold the Set button down to add it to a scene.

Id look at addding a hinged panel so you can reach those outlets (and also so it meets code). The only way to get around that is to use a more sophisticated link manager. The ISY fits the bill, but its a pricier option that requires a subscription to use Alexa.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page