Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Sunrise / Sunset Scheduling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pklocke
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  5:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently I upgraded to the new insteon hub, and have noticed a problem when scheduling my outside lights to come on at sunset and go off at sunrise. The problem is that the come on about an hour before sunset and stay on long after sunset (at least an hour I think...hard to say as I leave about sunrise these days, and the lights are on).

WHen I look at the sunrise/sunset times in the android app, they are approriate for my location. For example, it noted sunset as 6:05pm today, but the lights were on a bit after 5pm. Similar (delay in shutoff) occurs at sunrise? Ideas?

I really hate to go to an approach of having to keep tweeking the time ever week or two.

Oh, and the time on the hub is correct.

Ideas?

joelrosner
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  07:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing that the feature of [Sunrise]/[Sunset] +/- X minutes no longer exists. This was a great feature of the computer based SmartHome controller. So now we have a DUMB controller that uses a SMART phone.

No one one from Smarthome.com cares that their new technology took a GIANT step backwards - Joel Rosner

Joel Rosner
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

234 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joelrosner

Amazing that the feature of [Sunrise]/[Sunset] +/- X minutes no longer exists. This was a great feature of the computer based SmartHome controller. So now we have a DUMB controller that uses a SMART phone.

No one one from Smarthome.com cares that their new technology took a GIANT step backwards - Joel Rosner

this feature never existed with the hubs. If someone wants that they would need to use other software.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

234 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  08:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pklocke

Recently I upgraded to the new insteon hub, and have noticed a problem when scheduling my outside lights to come on at sunset and go off at sunrise. The problem is that the come on about an hour before sunset and stay on long after sunset (at least an hour I think...hard to say as I leave about sunrise these days, and the lights are on).

WHen I look at the sunrise/sunset times in the android app, they are approriate for my location. For example, it noted sunset as 6:05pm today, but the lights were on a bit after 5pm. Similar (delay in shutoff) occurs at sunrise? Ideas?

I really hate to go to an approach of having to keep tweeking the time ever week or two.

Oh, and the time on the hub is correct.

Ideas?

change your location to a different zip code in the hub, Dave, and then change it back to the correct one.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  10:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joelrosner

It was more a lateral move than a step back, IMHO. The Hub design was a major shift. With earlier technologies, engineers squeezed as many features in as they could, whereas INSTEON decided to focus on making the tech more accessible to ordinary people by adding internet accessibility and notifications and scene building while making setup easier and less intimidating.

Power users can add more features by tying into the Amazon Echo ecosystem, using the free Stringify service, or by going with a more powerful controller like the ISY.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page