Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Some Advice with a New ISY994i Installation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eboyhan

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  6:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I received my ISY994i and PLM. I'm a long time Insteon user transitioning from Houselinc to the ISY. I really have two questions: one about where to physically locate the ISY; the other has to do with the Java installation. My house has fiber to the home with a direct connection to the WAN port on my router which is located upstairs in my computer equipment loft. From the router, there are connections to a 24 port patch panel, and several 16-port Ethernet switches. Ultimately this all feeds to keystone outlets in all the rooms of the house. In the master bedroom (MBR) downstairs (where I do most of my work) I have a subsidiary switch connected to the keystone to support the multiple laptops that I use in the MBR.

So, I could place the ISY upstairs next to the router and plug it into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router, and plug the PLM into an electrical outlet nearby (this might be difficult because all the available outlets have industrial 8-port powerstrips or UPS's plugged into them. I'm under the impression that the PLM should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, not a powerstrip (the strips are just that -- not surge protectors)?

The other location possibility would be to put the ISY in the MBR connected to the subsidiary switch with the PLM plugged in nearby. The same naked outlet problem exists in the MBR.

Suggestions?

I'm under the impression that most interaction with the ISY on a day to day basis takes place through a web page or via a Smartphone app. However, there is an "Admin" page which I believe is a Java application, and that Java has to be installed on whatever machines want to use it. Can this app be installed on multiple computers? I seem to remember some time back that there were some issues with installations of Java (security?) on Windows machines (all of my computers are running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update). Are there any considerations as to where to install Java and the Admin app?

If I put the ISY upstairs next to the router, there is a laptop next to the router that I use for admin, troubleshooting, and router configuration. I could put Java/Admin on this machine. Alternatively, I could put it on a Surface Book laptop in the MBR which is the machine I use most frequently. Ideally, I'd like to put Java/Admin on both machines (the one next to the router upstairs, and the one in the MBR downstairs). Is this possible?

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your net-connected devices all communicate with the ISY via your LAN, so the location doesn’t matter to them. Any Windows or Mac computer with Java installed can load and run the ISY’s Administrative Console for setup and programming. Day-to-day usage doesn’t normally involve the Administrative Console program at all, connections to tablets and phones are all via https using either the built-in browser or a phone app.

The only location-specific issue is, for best results, it has to be near both a network connection and a power outlet that is relatively free of power line interference, otherwise you’ll be limiting the PLM’s ability to communicate via one of its two bands.

For more details and advice, the best place to find ISY answers is the manufacturer’s own support forum: https://forum.universal-devices.com

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The PLM should be on as "clean" an outlet as you can find (no electronics) and as close to the electric panel as possible. If you can't locate it on a clean circuit, then you can fix communication problems using one or more filters. But, a filter is useless on a device that's not the source of the problem. A power strip is OK depending on what else is being powered.

The ISY can be plugged in anywhere. Less that 6' from the PLM is ideal, but you can go to 15' with a high quality Cat6 cable.

Yes, you do need Java, but you can install the Administrative Console (app) on as many computers as you want. Window 10 is not a problem, most of my computers are running Window 10 without a hitch.

If you're moving from HouseLinc (I did), then you have a few options. The best option, although the most tedious, is to factory reset each device and start from scratch.

I transferred one room at a time. If a device was involved in more that one room, then I added that to the ISY last and began anew with that other room. IN any case, if you can't easily get to a device to do a factory reset, then select "Remove Existing Links" when adding the device to the ISY.

You may want to print all your scenes/links and events as a guide, but starting anew will probably give you some new ideas.

Start with at least an 8 character password, so you'll be ready for the portal if you add that later. The portal allow integration with Amazon's Alexa and Google's Home as well as IFTTT and a secure off-site connection.

BTW, you'll need a separate app (not free) for smartphone access if you don't include the portal.

And certainly log in to the ISY Forum.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

eboyhan

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  07:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice. It seems it would be best to plug the 2423S into as electrically noise free outlet as I can find. Putting it near the breaker box won't work because there are no internet connections anywhere near. Upstairs, next to the router, is where I had a laptop with HL installed. It was connected to a 2314U PLM which was plugged into a wall outlet close by. I never had any problems with HL detecting/manipulating Insteon devices from there until the PLM began to fail. The replacement PLM-U was at firmware 2.0 which was beyond what HL2 could easily recognize even with the updated XML file. The laptop containing HL2 failed catastrophically shortly thereafter. I assume if I plug the 2413S into the same outlet that the 2413U was plugged in to -- that should work, yes? Both the 2413U and the 2413S are dual-band (as are most of my Insteon devices).

I'm resigned to resetting all my devices to factory defaults. Since the HL laptop failed, I had manually added a few links to some new SWL's and RemoteLinks. It's too bad that I have no record of how things were configured. I'll just have to rethink how I want things to work.

Edited by - eboyhan on 02/13/2018 08:04:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ethernet should not interfere with the PLM. The only concern involves devices that get line voltage. Electronic that plug-in are suspect as are non-incandescent bulbs. Wired-in devices such as air conditioners and hot water heaters are usually trouble free.

Electronic fired furnaces can be a problem, but if HL worked well (did you ever run a communication test?), then the PLM for the ISY should fare well, too.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2354 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  2:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another consideration is if you intend to use the IR portion of the ISY Series Controller. In the worst case scenario you can simply purchase one of those third party IR extenders to let the ISY know something is being activated. Surge protection in it self is not the primary issue its what value of capacitor is inside of the hardware.

Almost every outlet in my home uses some type of SPD to protect the down stream electronics with out ill affect. As Stu noted, extending the serial cable to 15 feet isn't a problem. I've extended a few installations sites to 75 feet but that was using the highest and thickest CAT-7 shielded Ethernet cable you could buy.

Never saw a problem but given 90% of the time you will never be in the Admin Console (AC) what little delay you could see would be nothing. Lastly, as a added tip inside of the AC when each device is registered in that node simply right mouse click and there is a option to insert *Notes*. I use this on every install to document what hardware revision, firmware, production date, and installed date, and any other details I believe are relevant.

If you do the same you won't ever have to worry about how long something lasted, in warranty, why something does X!

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page