Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Turn lights on in house when garage opens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

homemoaner
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  2:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to come up with a home automation solution that, when the garage is opened, it will trigger selected recessed lights inside the home to be turned on. Our home is still being built, so there are no restrictions on what we can use for solutions. We don't currently have any automation devices in our home. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10614 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can do that and more using INSTEON. Power the recessed lights using SwitchLincs, use a wireless Open/Closed sensor connected to a tilt sensor on each garage door, then tie them together with a model 2245 INSTEON Hub and the Stringify service.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  4:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An important consideration when planning for home automation is standard wiring throughout. The reason is that if you do special wiring, then neither you nor a prospective buyer can go back. It's alway's better to have a choice, most especially if that choice adds nothing to the cost.

Although it's standard practice now, it's a good idea to remind the electrician/contractor that you want a neutral wire in every switch box.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

smarthomefocus
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2018 :  8:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit smarthomefocus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a very simple automation that can be achieved in many ways. I recommend a DIY approach using SmartThings and either Hue recessed lights or a smart switch if you don't want to use smart light bulbs.

I have a similar setup in my home that is triggered with a tilt sensor on the garage door.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

Jason
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page