Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart Lights + Socket - Better / Custom App
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nila
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  04:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I have some 'generic' smart plug sockets and bulbs. I have put them all onto my WiFi and connected them all up to the app. They all work relatively well and work with Google Home but the app itself is relatively basic and not the best interface.

Wondering if there is any way to use different apps to control the lights? I'm not sure how these things work to connect to? Is it an open standard? Is there an API I can connect to for these apps to control them? There must be something as Google obviously connects to it to control them.

I'd also like to be able to make Widgets on my Android phone that lets me do multiple tasks etc?

Thanks

Nila

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10614 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  07:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That depends entirely on the ‘generic’ plugs and bulbs. Some are designed to use one of several shared communications standards, others are designed to tie into a shared ecosystem like Apple’s HomeKit.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

nila
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the ones I got:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07921FPF1
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10614 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  08:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like they talk with Google Home, Alexa, and the company’s own app, so you should be able to control them from any of those three apps.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  11:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ nila
Contact the Manufacture and ask if there is an API or if there is documentation on the protocol.
You may also be able to sniff out the HTTP commands sent to the bulbs using Wireshark.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page