Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 2477D - Insteon Traffic causing Flickering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rlfromm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  05:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my new house is almost done and I just completed installing 46 wall switches of which 35 are 2477D and 11 are 2477S. When I use the app to check the status of the devices everyone of the lights on 2477D switches flicker just a little. If create a scene the 2477D lights will flicker.

I don't like it, what can be done?

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  05:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the Insteon power line commands maybe getting into the switches and they are flickering.
What type of bulbs are being controlled by the 2477D?
If they are LED. Are they rated to be on a dimmer?
Go to Top of Page

rlfromm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  05:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is new and every load is dimmer capable. It does not matter if the load is 100% bright or dimmed. I can reproduce the issue at will. No insteon traffic, no flicker.
Go to Top of Page

jackman

209 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  05:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd suspect a loose wire nut in a box somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  06:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does sound like the Insteon power line signals. Are causing the flicker.
You are not the first poster to ask about flicker.
Though most are from a mix of Insteon and mechanical dimmer switches. With the mechanical ones flickering.
Some brand dimmable LEDs have been reported to be susceptible to the power line signals.
If you can test one with a different brand and see if anything changes. That may give more data.
As suggested I would also say double check the wiring first.

Go to Top of Page

rlfromm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same bulbs are on 2477S and plan old wall switches and they do not flicker.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  09:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2477S is not a dimmer. Just On and Off.
So in that case the Insteon power line signals maybe getting into the dimmer model Insteon modulus you have.

Saw your post in the Insteon Forums.
I hope you may get added information there to combine with what you find here.

Edited by - BLH on 02/20/2018 10:07:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

330 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  12:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the other posters. It could be a loose neutral wire or feedback from the bulbs. Insteon also has a blink on traffic feature that may be turned on. You could try to factory reset 1 of the switches that's blinking to see if it goes away. Philips warm glow LEDs don't have this issue with Insteon. You could get 1 of those bulbs and test it with a switch to see if that helps.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 02/20/2018 12:18:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2367 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  3:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may also try removing one LED bulb and inserting a standard incandescent bulb in its place. If the blinking goes away in that string you have a load issue. Keep in mind every Insteon devices has a required minimum load read the spec sheet. Lastly, there are only two Insteon devices which state they support LED fixtures and they are the ILL and I believe DIN / Ballast modules.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

rlfromm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  12:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I wrote the original post everything was still 60 watt incandescent. I spent a lot of time inspecting wiring and trying to diagnose the issue following the recommendations from Insteon support. No success.

I have one switch set to blink on Insteon traffic and those blinks are in-sync with the flicker.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page