Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Lighting Suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bamzam
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I need a little help with figuring out how to automate the lighting in my house. I'm currently using google home and have been going back and forth between smart bulbs vs smart switches. I prefer switches so that my kids and guests can use the local switches and still maintain smart functions, but not sure how to go about it.

I have an open area where my living room, a hallway, and dining room are all connected. In total there are 4 switches in this area. 2 of them have 3 switches, 1 has 2 switches, and the 4th is a single switch, with each of the rooms intertwined on all of these switches. For cost consideration, the living room uses 4 BR30 floodlights, the hallway uses 6 BR30 floodlights, the dining room uses 5 A19 bulbs, and the front door area which is included in one of the switches uses a chandelier type lighting. I only really care to automate the living room and hallway lights, but with all the switches intertwined, I'm not sure what is possible. Would it be easier to just use smart bulbs? My attempt at a diagram is below lol. Thanks in advance!

bamzam
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  5:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To add to this, I don't need to maintain 3 switch capability on those 2 switches. Is there something I can do to the wires behind the wall to tuck them away/not use them and turn them into dual switches?

Edited by - bamzam on 03/06/2018 5:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page