Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 smart light switches, nest and some flexible hub
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blah1234
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  10:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
smart light switches, nest and some flexible hub integration

So far I haven't bought any smart devices (except the nest) because it seems that nothing integrates well with anything else and nothing speaks the same language.

I just got a 2gig alarm control panel so I think I can integrate with zwave stuff from the 2gig website...

wondering if lutron caseta switches is the way to go?

I have an iphone x and an older ipad

What I have been trying to figure out for a while is how to automate some lights and what is the best smart light switch available. Wanted some wall switches and maybe some plug in switches for a lamp or two.

What I would like to do is

1 - control it from an app (possibly apple homekit app)
2 - have them know we are away and (go into away mode and light up a few lights)
3 - schedule the front porch light to go on at dusk and off at dawn
4 - didn't want something that wont integrate with other things
5 - didn't want a proprietary hub
6 - want wall switches, lamp switches and smart power plugs for other random devices

I was looking at lutron caseta because it seems to work with nest but it doesn't seem to work with apple homekit and I think I need their proprietary hub.

I was trying to figure out if they integrate with wink hub 2 or samsung smart things hub...

I cant really think of anything else I want to automate in the house at the moment. I would like to have the flexibility to add devices in the future. I would like to add some digital baseboard heater thermostats in the future. I was looking at dimplex and sinope but cant make up my mind.

To say I'm confused would be an understatement... Please enlighten me

I am trying to avoid a false start and spending money on things only to figure out I should have bought something else.

Please help.

blah1234
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would like everything to be able to be controlled by one smart hub and have it be very flexible for adding new devices.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I tend to avoid systems and devices requiring the internet (aka cloud) to function. This eliminates many of the common hubs. I also desire to avoid having the computer on for control of my house, so that eliminates software-based solutions, but these seem to provide the broadest support for most types of devices. Unfortunately, nothing that I have seen integrates with everything, so you are goind to have to accept that limitation as far as I know.

Based upon your desire to avoid proprietary hubs, I would tend to focus on devices (switches, outlets, etc....) that operate via zwave protocol. From that, pick a hub that offers the integration also with the nest and homekit (homekit does not talk directly to zwave devices, i dont believe). I understand zwave is an open standard and should give you the most flexibility going forward.

Avaoiding a hub entirely will probably not give you the automation logic you seem to desire. I understand homekit might be a good remote control, and the geolocation feature may be enough, but suspect you will soon want to automate some tasks beyond the ability of homekit.

Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
787 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  05:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

blah1234
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  07:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went with lutron caseta and i will figure out how to integrate it with wink or something in the future... I am disappointed they don't have a simple smart on off power plug without a dimmer integrated.

I guess I'm giving up on everything speaking the same language...

Lutron caseta seemed to do lights well from what I can see. I didnt find anything else that seemed as refined.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably a good choice for you, based on what you have said. My perceptions based on hanging around forums like this one are positive. I am not certain of this, but I understand it relies on IFTTT rules for much of the automation side of things. While this tends to be something I try to avoid (rather have native automation), this may not bother you at all and serve your needs well.

I like that it supports zwave. There are a lot of zwave devices available, and you will no doubt find one or more that you will want to use. I suspect it will work with many such devices, even if not specificslly labeled “works with wink”.

Edited by - oberkc on 03/11/2018 08:44:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

jamescobb
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  01:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jamescobb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if you have come across Belkin Wemo light switch. I believe that this smart switch can control your lights in either wireless connections via your iPhone or manual push-button switch. It has the capability of auto scheduling and also random pattern switching for anti-burglar deterrent. Belkin is also compatible with any Amazon Alexa or Google Home.

You may want to check if it will suit your requirements.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

blah1234
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  10:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamescobb

I am not sure if you have come across Belkin Wemo light switch. I believe that this smart switch can control your lights in either wireless connections via your iPhone or manual push-button switch. It has the capability of auto scheduling and also random pattern switching for anti-burglar deterrent. Belkin is also compatible with any Amazon Alexa or Google Home.

You may want to check if it will suit your requirements.

Cheers!

I actually bought one the other day and I'm using it with nest away to turn on and off some stuff during certain time periods. Works great. I think the wemo smart switch would be great for lamps that you don't need to dim also. Right now im use the wemo smart switch to turn on an analog radio when we leave the house using the nest away feature.
Go to Top of Page

smarthomefocus
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  8:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit smarthomefocus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you choose to add a full controller at a future date, then I recommend the SmartThings Hub. The lighting control runs locally with most devices so lighting is very reliable even though the Hub is internet connected.

If you go that route, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jason

Edited by - smarthomefocus on 06/11/2018 8:15:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page